Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nepal? Yay or Nay...and why?

Shallow1

Ok, heres the situation...

I have a once in a life time opertunity staring me in the face, Im just curious to see what others would think?

I have been invited (all expenses paid) to visit Nepal, during this visit I would also get a chance to go to meet the King of Nepal (King Gyanendra) at his palace. The country is in the middle of a civil war right now and on top of that the King is a bit excentric (he had 6 of his family murdered so he could be King) and I dont know how safe it would be? You see in Nepal the King is deity witch means whatever he wants happens and that makes me nervous.......

Your thoughs,.....????

Go for it. This is an opportunity you'll remember for all your life. Probably, if you are going to be in the King's company you'll be pretty honored and protected.

My friend told me when they brought him into the palace to arrange going back the end of January that they held him at gun point going through every gate....I am pretty sure whenever a gun is pointed at you your probably not 100% safe?

Sounds like the opportunitty of a lifetime. Go for it and don't look back. When I was young, I went to the DMZ at the North Korea / South Korea border. You are in the crosshairs of a NK sniper from the moment you get off the bus. Then you can go into a building that straddles the border of the two countries... and you can actually walk into North Korea. Before you can do this, however, armed South Korean guards have to go in together and lock the N Korean door so that you don't get kidnapped while you're in the building. There are shooting incidents quite often there, and it is very far from safe. However, it was a very cool experience and I would go again in a second.

I don't think that the King of a small country is going to want to risk murdering American Citizens in his court. He might be crazy, but he's not dumb. :)

*edit* n/m I'm thinking of the wrong country *edit*

You might contact the U.S. Embassy (if there is one?) or the State Department to let them know of your travel plans, and also to check if there are any foreign traveler advisories, etc.

Are you married, do you have kids? If so, I'd say no.

Good questions, If you are single, you are only putting yourself at risk.

If you are concerned about meeting the King, then go, but skip the Castle tour and see the country. I'd go but I'd also manage the risk by getting an education on what to avoid. The State Department (US) should have some advisories on thier website.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_927.html

http://kathmandu.ds-osac.org/

I am also waiting on someone else to make up there mind, if he does not go I will probably definitly not go. If he says hes going I am still 50/50 on the decision, I have alot to weigh out. The Nepalese goverment needs time to do a backround check on us if we say we are coming so we have until thursday to decided??????

I kinda briefly glanced through these posts so I don't know if you already answered this or not - forgive me if you did - but how'd you get the invitation? Are you going with someone who's been there before? I think it's an awesome opportunity, but if you're just going solo or without someone who isn't familiar with the country, the surroundings, etc., then I'd really give a second thought. I've got some very close friends from Nepal who both come from really prominent political families over there, and even they've got issues with going back.

But if you go, have an awesome time!!! :-D

Ok, so the trip is off, the other person said they could not go. I also felt at this time and with certain other situations in my life it would be a wrong choice in the long run to put some things on hold right now to go to Nepal. Besides, my friend said maybe we can go mid or late 2007. I doubt I would meet the King then but I guess it would be his loss, and you never know maybe the opertunity will present itself if this meeting goes well with my friend. Thanks for all the imput...

Archived