Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis and Cartwright! (multi-merged)

FunBunch7

Yeah.

Ok.

:rolleyes:

Blondie

stop acting like a child with the eye rolling thing....

I was not knocking your boy in anyway (oh wait, your comeback that he not a boy, I already got it), and I didnt even single him out on it. I was just saying that he is not up on the oline asses when he gets the ball. I didnt even say he was slow, I said he was slow enough to hit the holes as they open.

Maybe you missed the 3 times today Rock out ran the defense on the edges??

Maybe I noticed that he got caught on the long one. The other nice run he had he made a nice move and was able to get around the corner on an dlineman. Again in not saying he is slow, but slow enough to let the holes open up when he gets the ball from the QB. Call it patience, call it vision, call it whatever.

Maybe Rock can find holes, along with Betts when he is in, cause they are slow enough to let them develop to where Clinton is already on the Oline's butt as soon as he gets the ball....

I dont know

Rock is fast. Edgerrin James is fast and he is also one of the most paitent in the NFL in terms of waiting for his blocking to develop. Rock has very good paitence and field vision. He can more than fill in for Portis IMO. Even when teams are expecting run he is good, not like its the product of our amazing passing game :laugh:

Great game CP and Rock! Also - need to thank the O-line for creating some holes. Was nice to see. The first half (other than a few plays) was tough to watch - but I really liked how the team played in the second half.

Good win. Need to go into AZ and take care of bizzness! Im gonna be there!

stop acting like a child with the eye rolling thing....

I was not knocking your boy in anyway (oh wait, your comeback that he not a boy, I already got it), and I didnt even single him out on it. I was just saying that he is not up on the oline asses when he gets the ball. I didnt even say he was slow, I said he was slow enough to hit the holes as they open.

Aw.

Did my eye rolling smiley upset you? Geez. A little smiley causing you grief.

So sorry.

I forget how touchy you are.

I will do better next time.

Blondie

Aw.

Did my eye rolling smiley upset you? Geez. A little smiley causing you grief.

So sorry.

I forget how touchy you are.

I will do better next time.

Blondie

No, it was the fact that you had nothing intelligent to say besides posting the smiley.

I appreciate that you will do better next time.

I think I count as one of Rock Cartwright's bigger fans on this board.

I'm really happy for him today (although not as happy as I was when he got some more TDs).

But, I also have to think to myself:

Portis: 27/136, 2 TD

Cartwright: 9/118

Yeah, Cartwright got almost as many yards as Portis, but Portis was the guy who took the pounding. (And got the points.)

To me, Rock's performance in this game wasn't really spectacular. This is what I've expected him to do, whenever somebody got around to giving him the ball. (OK, that really long run was a nice bonus.)

I'm happy for him, but I don't want people to think of this as a one-time deal, either.

(Or, another perspective: If Betts had done the same thing, would people be congratulating him so much? How much of the Rock warmth is because a lot of folks had low expectations?)

To me, the reason we should be using him more isn't the 50-yard run.

Exhibit one:

4th Q, Skins up 17-9, after we recover the turnover. (play-by-play from nfl.com)

1-10-STL45 (11:10) C.Portis left guard to SL 36 for 9 yards (R.Bartell).

2-1-STL36 (10:35) C.Portis up the middle to SL 36 for no gain (L.Little).

3-1-STL36 (10:00) C.Portis right tackle to SL 33 for 3 yards (A.Hargrove).

1-10-STL33 (9:17) C.Portis up the middle to SL 26 for 7 yards (A.Hargrove).

2-3-STL26 (8:31) R.Cartwright up the middle to SL 21 for 5 yards (A.Hargrove).

1-10-STL21 (7:49) R.Cartwright left end pushed ob at SL 8 for 13 yards (M.Furrey).

1-8-STL8 (7:17) R.Cartwright left tackle to SL 5 for 3 yards (R.Pickett).

2-5-STL5 (6:35) R.Cartwright right guard to SL 4 for 1 yard (P.Tinoisamoa).

3-4-STL4 (5:54) M.Brunell pass to C.Cooley for 4 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Exhibit Two: Last drive, Skins up 24-9

1-10-WAS8 (2:47) R.Cartwright left guard to WAS 16 for 8 yards (R.Bartell).

2-2-WAS16 (2:11) R.Cartwright up the middle to WAS 17 for 1 yard (C.Claiborne).

3-1-WAS17 (2:00) R.Cartwright left tackle to WAS 24 for 7 yards (Jerome.Carter).

1-10-WAS24 (1:17) N.Broughton right guard to WAS 27 for 3 yards (L.Little).

2-7-WAS27 (1:17) M.Brunell kneels to WAS 26 for -1 yards (D.Lewis).

On those two "drives", the Rams knew we were going to run the ball. And with their offense, if they get the ball back, they're back in the game.

These runs were against a stacked line. (Although, admittedly, a tired one.) (And, also admittedly, the Skins O-Line made a contribution, too.)

That's why I want to see Rock more. Why I want him when we're in the red zone. Why I keep pointing out his fourth-and-short stats when we're in fourth-and-short.

I don't expect to see him get many 50-yard runs. But to me, when you only need 3-4 yards, he's better than Portis.

No, it was the fact that you had nothing intelligent to say besides posting the smiley.

I appreciate that you will do better next time.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I can always count on you to make me laugh.

Thanks.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Blondie

Last game Portis sucked. Cartwright had one run for a touchdown. This week Cartwright consistantly did better and almost got the same running yards with less carries. I have felt that both Betts and Cartwright were better than Portis and I think it is about time to but Portis at second string.

Screw Portis. Start Cartwright

Maybe Rock can find holes, along with Betts when he is in, cause they are slow enough to let them develop to where Clinton is already on the Oline's butt as soon as he gets the ball....

I dont know

Dude...are you serious??? Portis has gotten so patient the past few weeks, and its shown in his production. You Portis haters are ridiculous. 136 yards and 2TDs isn't good enough for you? :rolleyes:

Rock did tear it up today. I felt though on that on his second big run he cut back inside and got tackled, where if he had cut outside he would have taken it to the house...I'm not complaining though. I like my biggest worry being that our 3rd string RB only broke a 30 yard run instead of a 50+ yard run!! :) I was disappointed that we didn't get Rock a score...they certainly tried though!

dude, are you kidding? Yes, Rock had a good game, but gee, 2 td's, a 40+ yard run, and a 5.0 average is soooo bad for the feature running back...:doh:

Their run defense was horrible overall, and I think Portis coulda gotten those long runs like Rock had as well. Both backs played well, and Im glad we got both, but Rock starting as the feature back does not usually end up that well overall.

Archived