Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

M Nights new flick

steveo21

I LOVE this man. I think he's a genious. I loved The Village...I thought it was really smart. I really enjoyed Unbreakable too....and Signs. I saw the trailer for his new movie when I went to see Harry Potter. I was like WTF?! Why would anyone watching that trailer want to see the movie based on the trailer? Then it showed who it was directed by...and I knew I had to see it. Man's incredible. I love his mind.

I thought the Village was pretty good if you went into it with the idea that it wasn't supposed to be a horror flick, or even particularly scary. Signs was just silly - I mean, wouldn't an alien race that conquered the many challenges of space travel figure out a way to survive a splash of water?

Unbreakable was up there with some of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Part of the problem with him is that is writing is very good, but over a lot of people's heads. All of his movies are brilliant; it is a shame that they don't get the credit and respect they deserve. What can you say though? Ignorant people seem to have the loudest voices. No wonder there are so many people saying, "I heard the Village sucked, etc." :doh:

I thought the Village was pretty good if you went into it with the idea that it wasn't supposed to be a horror flick, or even particularly scary. Signs was just silly - I mean, wouldn't an alien race that conquered the many challenges of space travel figure out a way to survive a splash of water?

you talking about the alien race that ran around naked, could do a standing jump onto a roof....but not get out of a room with an old door.....?

I mean, wouldn't an alien race that conquered the many challenges of space travel figure out a way to survive a splash of water?

I thought it was very feasible, especially considering how rare liquid water is in our solar system. We seem to be the only planet that has it.

you talking about the alien race that ran around naked, could do a standing jump onto a roof....but not get out of a room with an old door.....?

There are several animals on earth that would be the same way.

(and why am I defending this movie? :wtf: :laugh: )

I thought they weren't from our solar system?

well I was using our solar system as an example of what might exist further out there.

We don't have the capability to detect how much water (if any?) exists outside of our solar system. Not yet at least.

Yeah Signs was brilliant. The aliens are allergic to water, yet they can frolic through a dewy cornfield and not be harmed. :rolleyes:

They figured out how to conquer the vastness of space, but get trapped in a pantry.

The Village wasn't much better. It did have a decent twist at the end though.

I thought it was very feasible, especially considering how rare liquid water is in our solar system. We seem to be the only planet that has it.

Actually, evidence of water was found on Mars. And so far, us humans have been able to only study the surface of two planets - earth and mars. So we're 2 for 2. Considering that there are (all numbers estimates) 100,000,000,000 galaxies in the universe, and there are 100,000,000,000 stars per galaxy, that's 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars, 10 thousand, billion, billion. Properly known as 10 sextillion. And that's a very conservative estimate.

Think about how many planets that means.

Some info copied from http://www.thekeyboard.org.uk/Extraterrestrial%20life.htm

Ignorant people seem to have the loudest voices. No wonder there are so many people saying, "I heard the Village sucked, etc." :doh:

Ignorant as in uneducated or unimformed? That's about the stupidest statement I've seen on this board. What exactly am I supposed to know that I don't about his writing? It has holes all through it. The movies are fine as long as you don't put much thought into how the aliens managed to come through a cornfield full of dew and not get any water on them. Maybe the movies only make sense to the ignorant eh?

Actually, evidence of water was found on Mars. And so far, us humans have been able to only study the surface of two planets - earth and mars. So we're 2 for 2. Considering that there are (all numbers estimates) 100,000,000,000 galaxies in the universe, and there are 100,000,000,000 stars per galaxy, that's 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars, 10 thousand, billion, billion. Properly known as 10 sextillion. And that's a very conservative estimate.

Think about how many planets that means.

Some info copied from http://www.thekeyboard.org.uk/Extraterrestrial%20life.htm

yes, evidence of past water. But no liquid water currently. None on Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus (hehe... he said uranus), Neptune, or pluto.

There is talk about liquid water existing under the Ice of (Europa iirc?) a moon, but it is very safe to say it has no chance of existing on the planets I've mentioned above.

Water is turning out to be a very rare commodity.

yes, evidence of past water. But no liquid water currently. None on Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus (hehe... he said uranus), Neptune, or pluto.

There is talk about liquid water existing under the Ice of (Europa iirc?) a moon, but it is very safe to say it has no chance of existing on the planets I've mentioned above.

Water is turning out to be a very rare commodity.

Like I said, we haven't been able to study the surface of any of those other planets, so we really don't know what's there. And of the ones that we have studied, one definitely has a lot of water, and the other has had water at some point.

Seems like it's not so rare, IMO.

I personally enjoyed signs. I liked the irony that water -- the main thing that we are constantly looking for to provide proof of life -- was their only weakness. I thought it was a pretty cool premise.

The alien being trapped in the closet was pretty dumb...seems like if you can do a standing jump on to the roof you would have enough leg power to kick a door down...but maybe it was a really small closet? :whoknows:

*spoilers*

The Village was terrible. I wish I could have that 2.5 hours of my life back...I can't believe I actually waited that long to find out they lived in some stupid nature preserve. So stupid. And they were playing the monsters. And that after only one generation they could be old-school like that. And that the park had a large area like that that no park ranger EVER went in to...

Part of the problem with him is that is writing is very good, but over a lot of people's heads. All of his movies are brilliant; it is a shame that they don't get the credit and respect they deserve. What can you say though? Ignorant people seem to have the loudest voices. No wonder there are so many people saying, "I heard the Village sucked, etc."

Yeah, thanks for playing. Its not ignorant to have an opinion of a movie, especially a ****ty one. So take your condescending attitude elsewhere, bucko.

Archived