Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

M Nights new flick

steveo21

I don't understand why people bag on Signs and The Village. I remember walking out of the theatre BLOWN AWAY after signs, and this woman walking out next to me on her cell phone saying, "Thems aliens ain't so scary." huh. Did you watch the movie? The aliens were just a test. The premise really isn't man vs aliens, bur man vs faith and furthermore, faith vs coincidence. Yes, there are coincidences that are hard to swallow, but aren't there fatch that one has to overlook to have faith?

As for the whole water issue. A trace of carbon monoxide won't kill you, but a leak in the house (being exposed to enough) will kill you. And how do you know that the aliens weren't desperate? Is there a scene that depicts the "war room" for the aliens? nope. SO you may as well just suspend a little reality and watch the film. The aliens are supposed to me inegmatic, so who cares if they can jump on a roof, but not break a pantry door?

As for The Village, I was a little bit dissapointed cause I heard about the ending on imdb. The absolute favorite thing about the Village is that you are TOLD that the creatures aren't real, but when Noah Percy charges into the woods in the costume and attacks her, you still believe in the creatures for the slightest second, because you want to believe in the creatures. I thought that was cool, though a little too ambitious.

I haven't seen the Lady in the water trailer cause it's quicktime and i can't get it to work (PM me if you know a place for windows media or something else)

M Night also has written an adaptation for the book "Life of Pi" which I think will be amazing, especially if you've read the book. Such a great book.

Also Night never thought of his film as an Alien movie. It was always about Faith. HE stated he threw the aliens in to get people to watch.

Did he really say that?? Well news to him, since there are aliens in it, it is an alien movie. That looks pretty pathetic that he has to go such an extreme to get an audience for his "faith" concept. I'm under the impression that the last thing a sci-fi movie goer/enthusiast wants to see is faith trumping aliens.

IMO, Signs is top 5 worst movies I've ever seen. The planet is 3/4 water and the only one with water within, well, at least a few hundred light years. I have not watched the Village, and don't plan on seeing any of his movies again. Don't get me wrong, Sixth Sense was very interesting with a nice twist. I really enjoyed it. I was largely unimpressed with Unbreakable as it was the same premise/revelation as sixth sense, just with a superhero. I've been burned twice by his hype machine, that's enough for me.

I don't understand why people bag on Signs and The Village. I remember walking out of the theatre BLOWN AWAY after signs, and this woman walking out next to me on her cell phone saying, "Thems aliens ain't so scary." huh. Did you watch the movie? The aliens were just a test. The premise really isn't man vs aliens, bur man vs faith and furthermore, faith vs coincidence. Yes, there are coincidences that are hard to swallow, but aren't there fatch that one has to overlook to have faith?

As for the whole water issue. A trace of carbon monoxide won't kill you, but a leak in the house (being exposed to enough) will kill you. And how do you know that the aliens weren't desperate? Is there a scene that depicts the "war room" for the aliens? nope. SO you may as well just suspend a little reality and watch the film. The aliens are supposed to me inegmatic, so who cares if they can jump on a roof, but not break a pantry door?

As for The Village, I was a little bit dissapointed cause I heard about the ending on imdb. The absolute favorite thing about the Village is that you are TOLD that the creatures aren't real, but when Noah Percy charges into the woods in the costume and attacks her, you still believe in the creatures for the slightest second, because you want to believe in the creatures. I thought that was cool, though a little too ambitious.

I haven't seen the Lady in the water trailer cause it's quicktime and i can't get it to work (PM me if you know a place for windows media or something else)

M Night also has written an adaptation for the book "Life of Pi" which I think will be amazing, especially if you've read the book. Such a great book.

The Life of Pi? M Night really likes his ending twists. I hope a movie comes out of that, but I am not sure if that book will work very well for a feature length movie.

...All these other movies are distracting him...

Make Unbreakable 2 (and 3) already!!

Yeah, no kidding! Unfortunately, I heard a rumor that there will be no sequels, which seems kind of silly since Unbreakable was the introduction, and nothing was ever reconciled. However, I guess it didn't make much money, and as we all know, money talks in Hollywood. Besides, Bruce Willis is getting pretty old.

Ignorant as in uneducated or unimformed? That's about the stupidest statement I've seen on this board. What exactly am I supposed to know that I don't about his writing? It has holes all through it. The movies are fine as long as you don't put much thought into how the aliens managed to come through a cornfield full of dew and not get any water on them. Maybe the movies only make sense to the ignorant eh?

It has holes in it to you because, obviously, you lack the ability to put concepts and ideals together. That is a form of ignorance. The problem is that you actually do HAVE to put thought into his movies to see the entire picture. That is the beauty of his writing.

Dew and water are not necessarily the same. We were never told what type of water was being used to fight the aliens off. It may have been tap water, chlorinated water, well water with all of its nice additives, salt water, etc. And, your last line (question) is the stupidest statement ever posted. Try reading that one again and take a day or two for it to sink in. You may be able to understand your flaw then.

Yeah, thanks for playing. Its not ignorant to have an opinion of a movie, especially a ****ty one. So take your condescending attitude elsewhere, bucko.

Saying you didn't like a movie because of......(what ever reason) is an opinion. Saying a movie sucked or is stupid because one is not able to piece together all of the elements of the plot is ignorant. I wasn't being condescending. Besides, according to you, I have the right to my opinion. :laugh:

I've seen all of Shymalan's movies. I did like The Sixth Sense a lot. MNS has a flair for maintaining suspense through pacing and I appreciate that. It worked well in Signs as well, though as others have pointed out the suspension of disbeleif quotient was a bit high in that one.

It did NOT work for me in any of his other movies. He lacks the versatility, in my opinion, to be a truly great director, and his methods are starting to come across as too predictable, which makes his movies just seem flat-out slow.

Hopefully he'll try some new tricks in this one. I'll definately give it a look.

It has holes in it to you because, obviously, you lack the ability to put concepts and ideals together. That is a form of ignorance. The problem is that you actually do HAVE to put thought into his movies to see the entire picture. That is the beauty of his writing.

Try reading that one again and take a day or two for it to sink in. You may be able to understand your flaw then.

Saying you didn't like a movie because of......(what ever reason) is an opinion. Saying a movie sucked or is stupid because one is not able to piece together all of the elements of the plot is ignorant. I wasn't being condescending. Besides, according to you, I have the right to my opinion. :laugh:

I don't know where to start with this gem. First of all, thanks for attacking my intelligence. Nothing like evaluating someone's intellect over the internet eh? Secondly, maybe you should pick up a dictionary and look up the word ignorant and quite using it improperly. I'll even help you out.

ig·no·rant adj.

1.Lacking education or knowledge.

2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.

3. Unaware or uninformed.

So you are trying to tell us that we don't enjoy these movies because we lack education or are uninformed? What education do I need to properly enjoy the movie? Is there some sort of pre-M.Night training we all need to attend to make sure the movies are enjoyable.

I get the movies, I get the plots. I don't enjoy them. End of story. The guy has good concepts, but he doesn't close them up. They're not airtight. That bothers me. It bothers me in the same way that inaccurate war movies bother me after being in the service for 14 years.

It has nothing to do with whatever definition you've got in your head of the word ignorant.

But hey, thanks for the personal attack.

Uh ... before this gets TOO heated, let me point out that on this board people are allowed to like/dislike any movie/song/band/food/writer/director/art-or-artist-of-any-kind without being labeled as idiots/ignorant/morons/sheep/tasteless.

If a movie works for you, great. If it doesn't work for you, just as great. Let's all figure out how to state why without attacking eachother, ok?

Thanks a whole bunch. :)

Uh ... before this gets TOO heated, let me point out that on this board people are allowed to like/dislike any movie/song/band/food/writer/director/art-or-artist-of-any-kind without being labeled as idiots/ignorant/morons/sheep/tasteless.

If a movie works for you, great. If it doesn't work for you, just as great. Let's all figure out how to state why without attacking eachother, ok?

Thanks a whole bunch. :)

:applause: HAHA! Great disclaimer. Should be added to the rules and guidelines.

I really liked the Sixth Sense, and I was psyched when Signs came out, until I saw it. I just thought it really stretched the reality quotient to far. I mean come on now, aliens are going to invade our planet but they don't know that water kills them? The creatures have mastered travelling at the speed of light, and are leaps and bounds above where we are technologically and they die because of . . . water :doh: . . . it was almost as bad as the "virus" in Independence Day, or in Armegeddon where instead of training Astronauts to drill holes. They train a group of drunk oil riggers who hate each other to be astronauts. The world depends on this mission succeeding as well :shot:. . . I mean come on now, I know it is a movie, but at some point you have to ask yourself even for Hollywood, is it too far fetched.

Archived