Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LAVAR ARRINGTON on SPORTS 980

DCMONEY

Chris Clemons plays on 3rd downs, probably as a fresh guys to rush the passer.

Jason

I think the simple answer to that question is that Clemons has done a better job of getting pressure on the QB than Lavar. Also, if Clemons is going to be the pass-rusher, I'd prefer to have Washington and Marshall in there in coverage.

I don't think it's anything bad about Lavar...also, that's how Lavar should have answered the question too...

He danced around it and said that he didn't make those decisions. Had it been me, I'd have praised Clemons and said that he does a great job on passing downs and that I'd continue to push Chris for playing time in those situations...

I hear ya, that's the party line, I'm not necessarily buying it though. I'm not really upset about it either as Clemons has done fairly well. But I do wonder if it would behoove GreggW to have Lavar rack up too many stats & big plays. Good posts.

in fairness to lavar and clemons (who i also like alot) gw's blitzes db's more than lb's...he's too much of a genius to blitz conventionally; unfortunately his "exotic" blitzes have cost a couple of games this year.

as someone noted earlier, i cringe on 3rd and long b/c we give it up way too often.

I agree with you, he can cover better then any linebacker in the NFL. Look at the interception he almost had, the man can read an offense and make the plays. I hate our 3rd down package, we been beat 3 weeks in a row on it.
Does anyone else sometimes get the feeling that GW takes Arrington out on third down situations to spite the media and fans? It's just a feeling that washes over me every now and then.

Funny thing is 3&long IS Arringtons specialty & was his exclusive "package" early on. So why has that changed now? hmmm, more coach-speak? Were we being misled then or now?

I wonder if it would behoove GreggW to have Arrington dominate his defense, rack up too many stats & big plays. We'd be back in the Holdman situation where people started second guessing his decisions all the more. And yes coaches do that, Marty did it with Darrell Green & Fred Smoot and Larry Centers & Donnell Bennett.

In Arrington's limited play he has already outperformed Washington, Lamar & Clemons. I don't see why he wouldn't be put in on every play except to reduce his impact (that doesn't really help the team as much as it helps GreggW retain his Marty-like hold on the defense). But as long as Clemons can hold his own, GreggW has the liberty to that. And that's fair, I don't think we are better off doing it, but such is life. What do you think?

Funny thing is 3&long IS Arringtons specialty & was his exclusive "package" early on. So why has that changed now? hmmm, more coach-speak? Were we being misled then or now?

I wonder if it would behoove GreggW to have Arrington dominate his defense, rack up too many stats & big plays. We'd be back in the Holdman situation where people started second guessing his decisions all the more. And yes coaches do that, Marty did it with Darrell Green & Fred Smoot and Larry Centers & Donnell Bennett.

In Arrington's limited play he has already outperformed Washington, Lamar & Clemons. I don't see why he wouldn't be put in on every play except to reduce his impact (that doesn't really help the team as much as it helps GreggW retain his Marty-like hold on the defense). But as long as Clemons can hold his own, GreggW has the liberty to that. And that's fair, I don't think we are better off doing it, but such is life. What do you think?

:doh: unfortunately i think yer exactly right and that <----- was toward williams i cant believe you wouldnt want a guy like that who consistently comes up with a huge solo tackle in the backfield against a tailback every game and like you said is completely unpredictable if he's gonna blitz or cover or something else on third down but they know what clemons is gonna do i think an occasional 3-4 with both of them and keeping arrington in on thirds would be huge for our defense and washington marshall and lavar play so well together and you can tell they are all pretty close on the field too...they are probably the three most "cohesive" players on the team keep em all out there better then harris at nickel :laugh:

Well he is tied for 3rd, only 1.5 sacks behind leader Marcus Washington...

As opposed to LaVar, who plays at least twice as many plays, who has a big zero.

Nothing against LaVar, it's just he hasn't done THAT much to justify being in on every play.

And there's no way he should be in over Marcus Washington. Washington is just a better player than LaVar, period end.

Look at the number of stuffs Lavar has, compare it to the other starting linebackers that have twice as much game time this season. Then talk.

Well I hate to say this because I like the guy, but I think Lavar feels the ax coming. Great guy, lots of physical ability, but vastly overpaid. Lavar's greatest value to this team may well be the draft pics we might be able to get for him and the cap space it would give us to trade him after the innitial hit.

BTW. Has anyone noticed that the defense has regressed since he came back? I'm not saying that he is the cause but he sure hasn't been the solution. For what he is getting paid? I'm sorry but I expect more.

Same goes for Portis. For what he is making, he needs to be more than a good blocker who can grind out yards. He needs to be able to put this team on his back and carry it. He needs to bounce outside when the holes aren't there. He needs to break some big runs.

If I were in charge at this point, I would start droping hints that we are concerned about our future cap figures. By the end of the season CP and Lavar would be trade bait with the team moaning about how much we regret that we may have to lose them and what great players they are.

:2cents:

I think the simple answer to that question is that Clemons has done a better job of getting pressure on the QB than Lavar. Also, if Clemons is going to be the pass-rusher, I'd prefer to have Washington and Marshall in there in coverage.

I don't think it's anything bad about Lavar...also, that's how Lavar should have answered the question too...

He danced around it and said that he didn't make those decisions. Had it been me, I'd have praised Clemons and said that he does a great job on passing downs and that I'd continue to push Chris for playing time in those situations...

Well said, and I agree TD. And isn't Clemons faster in dropping back in coverage if his blitz is faked? Not that I wouldn't like to see Lavar get some plays on 3rd and see how he does.

Lavar comes out on third and long because thats usually when williams brings in a nickel package which replaces an outside linebacker with an extra cornerback. Williams thinks Marcus Washington is better suited for the nickle coverage. I don't think it has anything to do with "spite for the media or fans". But I wouldn't mind if Lavar replaced Walt Harris in the nickle package (just kidding, kinda)

Originally Posted by raperry2

Anyone notice how our defense seems to hold teams 2 plays and give up the 3rd down conversion?

Originally Posted by Leonard Washington

i think its because when clemons comes into the game, they know what he's going to do.

:applause: As the Guiness guys say - BRILLIANT!

Wonder if Lavar would be up to it? :rolleyes:

Lavar cannot shed blockers.

Haven't we all seen this by now?

What good is he when the Offense knows he's coming and plans for his attack if he cannot shed blockers?

When Lavar can attack by suprise is when he is most dangerous.

Williams KNOWS this. Now you do too.

And another thing. As GREAT, and they are AWESOME talents, NO QUESTION as Lavar and Sean Taylor are...their OVER aggressiveness is killing us.

If they are supposed to attack? Then yeah, go for it.

But otherwise? Let the play develop. Stay at home. Stay wide if necessary, and when someone breaks into the open? Like a MISSLE, SEEK AND DESTROY AND MAKE THE TACKLE.

Lavar cannot shed blockers.

Haven't we all seen this by now?

What good is he when the Offense knows he's coming and plans for his attack if he cannot shed blockers?

When Lavar can attack by suprise is when he is most dangerous.

Williams KNOWS this. Now you do too.

And another thing. As GREAT, and they are AWESOME talents, NO QUESTION as Lavar and Sean Taylor are...their OVER aggressiveness is killing us.

If they are supposed to attack? Then yeah, go for it.

But otherwise? Let the play develop. Stay at home. Stay wide if necessary, and when someone breaks into the open? Like a MISSLE, SEEK AND DESTROY AND MAKE THE TACKLE.

Ding ding ding! we have a winner boys and girls! Although I don't have a problem with Taylor.

Take a look at lavar though. Watching him try to shed a block is like watching a girl in a catfight. He flails away but never seems to get anywhere.

Well he is tied for 3rd, only 1.5 sacks behind leader Marcus Washington...

As opposed to LaVar, who plays at least twice as many plays, who has a big zero.

Nothing against LaVar, it's just he hasn't done THAT much to justify being in on every play.

And there's no way he should be in over Marcus Washington. Washington is just a better player than LaVar, period end.

Lavar trust me isn't being used to his full potential. Greg Williams to me is a good coach but he has a big ego too. The proof is in the puddin. If Holdman was playing so well why isn't he getting any snaps at all now? A good coach will put his players in position to do what they do best. Lavar under Marvin Lewis put down on 3rd downs and obvious passing downs. The man collected 11 sacks in that capacity. I have no doubt trust me if Lavar is given more opportunities to go after passer he'll collect double digit sacks. For some reason Greg Williams prefers to drop Lavar back in pass coverage in space. Marcus Washington isn't better than LAvar PERIOD.

Lavar comes out on third and long because thats usually when williams brings in a nickel package which replaces an outside linebacker with an extra cornerback. Williams thinks Marcus Washington is better suited for the nickle coverage. I don't think it has anything to do with "spite for the media or fans". But I wouldn't mind if Lavar replaced Walt Harris in the nickle package (just kidding, kinda)

This post is spot-on. LaVar comes out when there's only two linebackers and isn't used much as a down lineman. Art has been arguing here for months that LA is no good with his hand in the ground and Sunday proved it. They put LA in at DE and he got completely swallowed up at the line. LT ran right past him for the tying TD on that play too.

No never.

Coaches want to win, at all costs.

I don't know. I think that sometimes coaches want to prove themselves right and everbody wrong. I lived in Pittsburgh during the never-ending Kordell Era. And Cowher stuck with that guy through some unbelievably poor play in what seemed like a "I'm going to prove you wrong" move.

We lived through the Danny Wuerffel Experience here. That was Spurrier trying to prove that coaches were wrong about him in the 70s and Wuerffel today.

I'm sure there are other examples. Parcells seems to do it with some random running back every few years.

Originally Posted by raperry2

Anyone notice how our defense seems to hold teams 2 plays and give up the 3rd down conversion?

Originally Posted by Leonard Washington

i think its because when clemons comes into the game, they know what he's going to do.

:applause: As the Guiness guys say - BRILLIANT!

Wonder if Lavar would be up to it? :rolleyes:

Of course people know what Clemons is going to do when he lines up at DE on 3rd and 12. Just like people know what any DE does in passing situations. Clemons isn't in there to confuse anyone. He's just simply one of our best edge rushers so he's in the game to do just that.

Archived