Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LAVAR ARRINGTON on SPORTS 980

DCMONEY

Lavar basically gave his assessment on the Charger game. In addition he said something I kinda agree on. He believes that cohesiveness and chemistry is what eventually makes a good team. Having the familiarity to bulid on what you've done is important. Keeping the same coaching staff in tact was another point he made. In other words no matter what happens this year, he doesn't think that the Skins should over haul the whole team. Of course some changes would have to be made but keep it together. He believes for example the Colts are where they are because of their team cohesiveness. Their(Colts) defense has made strides to compliment their offense. I kinda agree with Lavar on this but I hope one thing changes. I hope the Skins just try and build through the draft and not over pay in free agency.

Cool, thanks for the recap money. Did he asses his own play at all?

John and Doc asked him. He touched on his play in genral and he said he thinks he's playing well. John asked him why he comes out on 3rd downs. He basically said he's just doing what he's told. He really didn't want to touch it. He said he didn't want to speculate on that and he's never asked. He said he's just happy to be playing.

John Tompson asked him why he doesn't play on 3rd & long plays. Lavar said it was not his package. I didn't expect Lavar to comment on it, but we can. What's up with that? I notice Marcus Washington doesn't come out. Are we still playing favorites on defense?

Chris Clemons plays on 3rd downs, probably as a fresh guys to rush the passer.

Jason

John Tompson asked him why he doesn't play on 3rd & long plays. Lavar said it was not his package. I didn't expect Lavar to comment on it, but we can. What's up with that? I notice Marcus Washington doesn't come out. Are we still playing favorites on defense?

I think the simple answer to that question is that Clemons has done a better job of getting pressure on the QB than Lavar. Also, if Clemons is going to be the pass-rusher, I'd prefer to have Washington and Marshall in there in coverage.

I don't think it's anything bad about Lavar...also, that's how Lavar should have answered the question too...

He danced around it and said that he didn't make those decisions. Had it been me, I'd have praised Clemons and said that he does a great job on passing downs and that I'd continue to push Chris for playing time in those situations...

I agree with you, he can cover better then any linebacker in the NFL. Look at the interception he almost had, the man can read an offense and make the plays. I hate our 3rd down package, we been beat 3 weeks in a row on it.

No never.

Coaches want to win, at all costs.

You are probably right. It is just a kind of arrogant "I'm going to do what I want, whenever I want no matter what anyone says" type of vibe I sometimes pick up from him. I suppose that that is a good thing when I really think about it. :)

You are probably right. It is just a kind of arrogant "I'm going to do what I want, whenever I want no matter what anyone says" type of vibe I sometimes pick up from him. I suppose that that is a good thing when I really think about it. :)

I know what you mean about the vibe...but I really do agree that it's a good thing. You don't want your decision-makers concerned with the fans' satisfaction!

John and Doc asked him. He touched on his play in genral and he said he thinks he's playing well. John asked him why he comes out on 3rd downs. He basically said he's just doing what he's told. He really didn't want to touch it. He said he didn't want to speculate on that and he's never asked. He said he's just happy to be playing.

Anyone notice how our defense seems to hold teams 2 plays and give up the 3rd down conversion?

Even though we dont have a first round pick this season... I will be happy with picking in every round after the first. I think we will have enough wiggle room to sign a upgrade at DE. That is it though, most of this team is in place for next year already we just need to fill in a few peices. I would like to draft the best DE available in the second round to go opposite the guy we sign hopefully and some OL depth through the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Lavar basically gave his assessment on the Charger game. In addition he said something I kinda agree on. He believes that cohesiveness and chemistry is what eventually makes a good team. Having the familiarity to bulid on what you've done is important. Keeping the same coaching staff in tact was another point he made. In other words no matter what happens this year, he doesn't think that the Skins should over haul the whole team. Of course some changes would have to be made but keep it together. He believes for example the Colts are where they are because of their team cohesiveness. Their(Colts) defense has made strides to compliment their offense. I kinda agree with Lavar on this but I hope one thing changes. I hope the Skins just try and build through the draft and not over pay in free agency.

i just said this in the "thanks redskins" thread -- nice to know that my opinion is along the same lines as a player who is in the trenches :) :point2sky

I've been trying to find out, but does anyone know if LA was in the game on the two long TD runs? I don't think he was in there for the 4th quarter TD, but was he in for the OT TD? It is maddening to watch one of the best LB in the NFL come out of the game so frequently. I'm starting to really dislike Williams.

As someone said couple of weeks back... Our defensive couch thinks that he is the Guru.. the best in Defensive Scheme... such an Oak... he is never ready listen or believe in what others have to say... there are plenty of defensive minds other than him... I am not saying he is bad.. he is good and he can make a good team out of no star players, but why not use the Star Players effectively and make the best Defensive Unit.... Gibbs has too much faith on this Defense and he is conservative after he scores one TD... Defense almost every week gives up on the 4th quarter... Forget about this season... let's think about next now... we might be surprised you never know...

I agree with you, he can cover better then any linebacker in the NFL. Look at the interception he almost had, the man can read an offense and make the plays. I hate our 3rd down package, we been beat 3 weeks in a row on it.

ive always thought he was a great cover linebacker too and he's good at reading offenses in the zone defense i never can figure it out either and it is starting to bother me chris clemons only gets more pressure on the qb because lavar just isnt in there if they want that guy to play so bad go to a 3-4 on third downs but keep our biggest playmaker in there he can cover and make some int's too :logo:

Hey Doctor Toughlove.... ur gonna have to change ur sig now. Antonio Brown is no longer a disease.... he is also back on the team. haha

:laugh: Good one, consider it done.

Antonio Brown may no longer be gone but he will have to do more to get out of my doghouse. I not a big believer in changing the status of players on a game to game basis. I waited a quarter season before moving Santana Moss from "Don't Know" to "Looking Good" and that was only because he had one of the best quarter seasons in Redskins history (no one gets into "The Cure" catagory without puting in a full season). Here's hoping Antonio Brown does it, we need it.

If he's so "fresh," why is it he's not exactly challenging for the team lead in sacks?

Well he is tied for 3rd, only 1.5 sacks behind leader Marcus Washington...

As opposed to LaVar, who plays at least twice as many plays, who has a big zero.

Nothing against LaVar, it's just he hasn't done THAT much to justify being in on every play.

And there's no way he should be in over Marcus Washington. Washington is just a better player than LaVar, period end.

Archived