Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vatican Official Refutes Intelligent Design

China

By NICOLE WINFIELD, Associated Press Writer

1 hour, 59 minutes ago

VATICAN CITY - The Vatican's chief astronomer said Friday that "intelligent design" isn't science and doesn't belong in science classrooms, the latest high-ranking Roman Catholic official to enter the evolution debate in the United States.

The Rev. George Coyne, the Jesuit director of the Vatican Observatory, said placing intelligent design theory alongside that of evolution in school programs was "wrong" and was akin to mixing apples with oranges.

"Intelligent design isn't science even though it pretends to be," the ANSA news agency quoted Coyne as saying on the sidelines of a conference in Florence. "If you want to teach it in schools, intelligent design should be taught when religion or cultural history is taught, not science."

His comments were in line with his previous statements on "intelligent design" — whose supporters hold that the universe is so complex that it must have been created by a higher power.

Proponents of intelligent design are seeking to get public schools in the United States to teach it as part of the science curriculum. Critics say intelligent design is merely creationism — a literal reading of the Bible's story of creation — camouflaged in scientific language, and they say it does not belong in science curriculum.

In a June article in the British Catholic magazine The Tablet, Coyne reaffirmed God's role in creation, but said science explains the history of the universe.

"If they respect the results of modern science, and indeed the best of modern biblical research, religious believers must move away from the notion of a dictator God or a designer God, a Newtonian God who made the universe as a watch that ticks along regularly."

Rather, he argued, God should be seen more as an encouraging parent.

"God in his infinite freedom continuously creates a world that reflects that freedom at all levels of the evolutionary process to greater and greater complexity," he wrote. "He is not continually intervening, but rather allows, participates, loves."

The Vatican Observatory, which Coyne heads, is one of the oldest astronomical research institutions in the world. It is based in the papal summer residence at Castel Gandolfo south of Rome.

Last week, Pope Benedict XVI waded indirectly into the evolution debate by saying the universe was made by an "intelligent project" and criticizing those who in the name of science say its creation was without direction or order.

Questions about the Vatican's position on evolution were raised in July by Austrian Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn.

In a New York Times column, Schoenborn seemed to back intelligent design and dismissed a 1996 statement by Pope John Paul II that evolution was "more than just a hypothesis." Schoenborn said the late pope's statement was "rather vague and unimportant."

By NICOLE WINFIELD, Associated Press Writer

1 hour, 59 minutes ago

VATICAN CITY - The Vatican's chief astronomer said Friday that "intelligent design" isn't science and doesn't belong in science classrooms, the latest high-ranking Roman Catholic official to enter the evolution debate in the United States.

The Rev. George Coyne, the Jesuit director of the Vatican Observatory, said placing intelligent design theory alongside that of evolution in school programs was "wrong" and was akin to mixing apples with oranges.

"Intelligent design isn't science even though it pretends to be," the ANSA news agency quoted Coyne as saying on the sidelines of a conference in Florence. "If you want to teach it in schools, intelligent design should be taught when religion or cultural history is taught, not science."

His comments were in line with his previous statements on "intelligent design" — whose supporters hold that the universe is so complex that it must have been created by a higher power.

Proponents of intelligent design are seeking to get public schools in the United States to teach it as part of the science curriculum. Critics say intelligent design is merely creationism — a literal reading of the Bible's story of creation — camouflaged in scientific language, and they say it does not belong in science curriculum.

In a June article in the British Catholic magazine The Tablet, Coyne reaffirmed God's role in creation, but said science explains the history of the universe.

"If they respect the results of modern science, and indeed the best of modern biblical research, religious believers must move away from the notion of a dictator God or a designer God, a Newtonian God who made the universe as a watch that ticks along regularly."

Rather, he argued, God should be seen more as an encouraging parent.

"God in his infinite freedom continuously creates a world that reflects that freedom at all levels of the evolutionary process to greater and greater complexity," he wrote. "He is not continually intervening, but rather allows, participates, loves."

The Vatican Observatory, which Coyne heads, is one of the oldest astronomical research institutions in the world. It is based in the papal summer residence at Castel Gandolfo south of Rome.

Last week, Pope Benedict XVI waded indirectly into the evolution debate by saying the universe was made by an "intelligent project" and criticizing those who in the name of science say its creation was without direction or order.

Questions about the Vatican's position on evolution were raised in July by Austrian Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn.

In a New York Times column, Schoenborn seemed to back intelligent design and dismissed a 1996 statement by Pope John Paul II that evolution was "more than just a hypothesis." Schoenborn said the late pope's statement was "rather vague and unimportant."

This in no way surprises me. What else would you expect from the Vatican. To them the words of the Pope are the words of God as opposed to the Bible.

Um no, sorry pal, not baptist. This is from a Protestant view point in general.

But your words are straight from the Catholic recruiting manual.

What you are in this case, is wrong. We do not believe "the words of the Pope are the words of God as opposed to the Bible." But you and the other guy are welcome to continue telling us Catholics what we believe, it's not exactly a uncommon behavior.

What you are in this case, is wrong. We do not believe "the words of the Pope are the words of God as opposed to the Bible." But you and the other guy are welcome to continue telling us Catholics what we believe, wouldn't expect anything less.

Those were the other guys words not mine. I shouldnt have said I agreed with exactly what he said. I said I believe Catholics place the Pope too close to God.

Just so I am clear on this

In Catholic school I learned that Catholics believe the pope is infalliable

This is true right?

Not really. The Pope is just a man, but there are rare times when the Pope speaks on a matter of doctrine where he is, in effect, speaking on behalf of the Church, and those pronouncements are not subject to question. This does not happen very often.

So don't go asking the Pope for a pick on the Michigan-OSU game - he doesn't know any better than you or me :laugh:

So don't go asking the Pope for a pick on the Michigan-OSU game - he doesn't know any better than you or me :laugh:

Actually, I asked the Pope, and he likes the Buckeyes because Mike Hart isn't fully healthy and the Wolverines have already lost twice at home this year. He said the 3 points is a gift and he himself is laying a dime on the game.

Not really. The Pope is just a man, but there are rare times when the Pope speaks on a matter of doctrine where he is, in effect, speaking on behalf of the Church, and those pronouncements are not subject to question. This does not happen very often.

Close enough.

What you are in this case, is wrong. We do not believe "the words of the Pope are the words of God as opposed to the Bible." But you and the other guy are welcome to continue telling us Catholics what we believe, it's not exactly a uncommon behavior.

If Catholics believe the Bible then why do they continue to practice unbiblical traditions given by Popes and councils such as Mary worship, prayer for the dead, worship of saints and angels, and let's not forget about the assumption of Mary just to name a few.

Lets not get started on Ex Cathedra.

If Catholics believe the Bible then why do they continue to practice unbiblical traditions given by Popes and councils such as Mary worship, prayer for the dead, worship of saints and angels, and let's not forget about the assumption of Mary just to name a few.

Lets not get started on Ex Cathedra.

We do not worship Mary we honor her. She was chosen by god to give birth to our salvation. You may not understand the difference, but no Catholic thinks of Mary and Jesus on the same level. There is an understood difference between the special few we honor and the holy trinity.

Also the Pope being infallible has been explained to you already and if you had a serious want to learn the truth you would have looked it up. Instead you spread protestant gossip.

We do not worship Mary we honor her. She was chosen by god to give birth to our salvation. You may not understand the difference, but no Catholic thinks of Mary and Jesus on the same level. There is an understood difference between the special few we honor and the son of god we worship.

Explain to me how Catholics honor Mary if it's not worship?

Also the Pope being infallible has been explained to you already and if you had a serious want to learn the truth you would have looked it up. Instead you spread protestant gossip.

When has it been explained to me? Furthermore I have "looked it up".

From Catholicism.org

Infallibility: The Dogma - Before proceeding any further, let us read the definition of papal infallibility as it was promulgated at the First Vatican Council in 1870:

Faithfully adhering to the tradition received from the beginning of the Christian faith ... we teach and define that it is a dogma divinely revealed that the Roman Pontiff, when he speaks ex cathedra, that is when in discharge of the office of pastor and teacher of all Christians, by virture of his supreme Apostolic authority, he defines a doctrine regardging faith and morals to be held by the universal Church, by the divvine assistance promised him in Blessed Peter, is possessed of that infallibility with which the Divine Redeemer willed that His Church should be endowed for degining doctrine regarding faith and morals; and that, therefore, such definitions of the Roman Pontiffs are irreformable of themselves, and not from the consent of the Church.

Am I wrong? Do catholics not believe that when the Pope speaks ex cathedra(from the throne) that he is infallible?

Archived