Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: The Hit That Changed a Career

EvoSkins

The Hit That Changed a Career

20 Years Later, Theismann Reflects on Incident

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/17/AR2005111701635.html

By Leonard Shapiro

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, November 18, 2005; E01

The scar, about four inches above his right ankle, is hardly visible, and when former Washington Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann lifts his pantleg, the slight bend in his right leg is barely discernable. Still, they are constant reminders of The Hit That No One Who Saw it Can Ever Forget, the hit that, in ESPN polling, was the runaway winner as the most shocking moment in NFL history.

Every year on the 18th of November I think back on that night. I was 13 years old and cried as they were wheeling him off the field. As horrible as is was, it's almost "romantic" the way it all turned out. Not sure if I'm expressing myself correctly...but he gave it all up for his team, and I really don't think anyone should ever wear #7 for the Skins again.

I wonder if Aikman has the same memory of getting hit by Arrington.
Nope, because one Aikman didn't have his career ruined by Lavar, it was by a guy named Leonard Marshall. Second, Aikman lost more great memories due to concussions, than Thiesmann could ever remember.

I wonder if Aikman has the same memory of getting hit by Arrington.
Nope, because one Aikman didn't have his career ruined by Lavar, it was by a guy named Leonard Marshall. Second, Aikman lost more great memories due to concussions, than Thiesmann could ever remember.

Absolutely no comparison. Not even close.

That was a totally sickening thing to watch.

I hope Joe gets into the Hall of Fame.

Evoskins,

Please review the Forum posting guidelines concerning citing material from outside sources

10.When posting anything concerning news articles from outside sources, please include a direct link (i.e., URL) to the origination page/site. Please paste the URL directly atop the post, above a small portion of the article's text (for example, the lead paragraph or a particular sentence or two) . Such a practice provides credibility and attribution to the source of the information, and allows visitors the option to visit the respective websites. You are responsible for the content you post.

If you are posting a published article from a news source, please title your thread in the following format: "SOURCE SHORTFORM: HEADLINE" (Ex. WP: Redskins Sign CB Shawn Springs).

Great great read..

I wish Taylor would have been available for comment....

That stuff's burned into my memory. I remember LT too, right after the play, and in the weeks that followed. He was always very solemn, respectful to Joey T as a player, and showed a lot of class. I always thought his talent made him one of the small handful of all-time greatests in the game. But he's one Giant player I never had anything but respect for because of how he acted about that play.

Not well remembered, but Theismann was having a horrible year. Next year he was no better by Gibbs account. While a grusome memory, Joe Theismann did well by it. He became a part of NFL lore (as he deserves) & methology because of it & was remembered all the better for his two Superbowl appearances.

I'm just glad it happenned at the end of his career and not in between. You were our first, Joe, thanks for the memories.

"I once told him we were always going to be linked together because of that night, and he told me it had an impact on his life, too," Theismann said. "He said it drove home the point to him that no matter how great you are, it can be over in a heartbeat, and you never know if tomorrow will be the last day you ever perform."

As a redskin and a fan of football.....

i shed a tear

great article

I first started watching Redskin football games at the age of 6 in 1987. When my dad noticed how much I was into the Redskins he told me about the night Joe T. broke his leg and told me he had been watching the game even though he wasn't much of a football fan.

When I saw the video I was literally in shock. I didn't even know who Joe T. was but I knew he was a Redskin and that was all I needed to know.

I echo the thoughts of the poster that said no Redskin should ever wear #7. I think of modern day football as starting with the birth of the Super Bowl and to me even without ever seeing him play Joe T. is the face of the QB position for the Washington Redskins.

Through this 13 year streak of losing the Redskins have had numerous QBs, I hope for the day when we have a player like Joe T. at the QB position.

That was the first time I had seen that and it will be the last. That had to be the worst on the field injury to date. Mcgahee's was bad and so was Tyron Prothro's but, that one was by far the worst.

Anyone remember Napoleon McCallum's Knee injury? Not as famous, but equally horrifying

I remember watching it. I was about 11 or so. I was in total shock, and completely ticked off they kept showing the play over and over again.

That play pretty much sealed my love for the Redskins, and absolute hatred for the Giants. As stated before...#7 should be retired.

Archived