Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: The Hit That Changed a Career

EvoSkins

I will not watch it too this day. I saw it live, that was enough
I second that.

Wow that was a very emotional read! Joe Theismann was my hero growing up and I too remember crying when he was carted off the field. Despite what people think of his commentating, I have always had the highest respect for Joe.

Thanks.

That hit was crazy. I was watching I love the 80's 3D on VH1 and they showed the clip over and over. It was kinda funny.

I know I am gonna get ripped for saying this, but Theisman bugs the crap out of me. I am too young to remember him playing, but I don't like him as an announcer. I may have gotten it from my Dad, he never liked him either. He one ****y SOB. But not in a good (funny) way like Riggo. From what i have found, I am not the only one who feels like this...

At least there was a positive thing to come out of it. A young kid named Jay Schroeder got a shot at the big time. Even though Jay was only with us for 3 years, I still remember those days of rivalry with Phil Simms and the Giants in the late eighties.

______

Hail!

I was at that game. There was no screen at RFK to see the replay and that was a little before the day when everybody had cell phones. I remember mass confusion in the stands about what exactly had happened and rumors flying around - everything from a broken neck to he'd be back after halftime. I do know a lot of people had been down on Joe T, and the crowd exploded when Schroeder hit that first long pass to Monk.

Didn't see the replay or Taylor's reaction until much later that night, so I don't think the visual had the same impact for me. Being at the game and having to focus just on the play and the outcome, I think there ended up being an electric feeling that our season was turning around more than doom and gloom about the injury.

I never saw it live. I was in boarding school at the time and we had study hall from 8-10 and lights out at 10:30. I've seen it on reply plenty though. Looking back at that video, (a little off topic), it kind of cracked me up to see the "REVERSE ANGLE" headline.

Wow! Reverse angle! What crazy technology!

I didn't realize that Joe's right leg was shorter than his left as a result. I wonder if he will ever look at the video?

I was actually in bed when the play happened, but I remember the discussion of it at school the next day. It's still a chilling video.

But you do have to love Joey T.

Is there any sports cliche he left out in describing his actions that night. From "Go get 'em, kid" to listening on the radio in the hospital.

All that's missing is his saying, "Tell it to me straight, doc."

There may not be a more enjoyably self-aggrandizing sports personality in history. Maybe Reggie Jackson.

Joe Theismann had been the only quarterback I had really ever known growing up. I really didn't remember watching Billy Kilmer and certainly not Sonny play. Joe Theismann was the Redskins for me growing up and despite struggling badly during the 1985 season, I could not grasp the concept of having someone else be the quarterback of my beloved Washington Redskins.

When Joe got hurt and was wheeled off the field at RFK that night, I think my childhood naivete went with him. Nothing lasts forever and in a flash, your entire world can change.

Joe Theismann was a great Washington Redskin and (unlike others...cough John Riggins...cough) he's been a great former Washington Redskin. Staying in the area, supporting the organization (even when Coach Gibbs wasn't here) and representing the B&G on national TV every week.

Hail to Joe Theismann.........the first quarterback since Sammy Baugh to deliver a world title to the Nation's Capital. :cheers:

That hit was crazy. I was watching I love the 80's 3D on VH1 and they showed the clip over and over. It was kinda funny.

I know I am gonna get ripped for saying this, but Theisman bugs the crap out of me. I am too young to remember him playing, but I don't like him as an announcer. I may have gotten it from my Dad, he never liked him either. He one ****y SOB. But not in a good (funny) way like Riggo. From what i have found, I am not the only one who feels like this...

I can't let this one slide. slm, even if you hate the guy, how in the world do you describe the clip as "funny"? That is sick.

I'll still never forgive him for it...

Why? It wasn't a dirty play.

I've always liked LT more for the way he reacted. He was a maniac off the field, but he played the game right on the field.

Can you imagine if a modern linebacker had made that play? He'd probably be standing over Joey T pretending to throw dirt on the body or something.

Anyway, LT knew something had gone horribly wrong immediately and was genuinely concerned for the health of an opposing player. I've always respected that.

Why? It wasn't a dirty play.

I've always liked LT more for the way he reacted. He was a maniac off the field' date=' but he played the game right on the field.

Can you imagine if a modern linebacker had made that play? He'd probably be standing over Joey T pretending to throw dirt on the body or something.

Anyway, LT knew something had gone horribly wrong immediately and was genuinely concerned for the health of an opposing player. I've always respected that.[/quote']

I was an impressionable youth...guess I have a few issues. Didn't say I didn't respect the man and how he handled it...just said I don't forgive him for it.

I was hunting in the woods with some of my family and heard about it two days later. I heard some guys saying that theismann hurt his leg but that was all they said. I saw my dad the next day (he was in Pennsylvania for a funeral) and asked him about it. The words, "Son his career is over" still echo in my mind.

I heard Joe talk about it last year and he said how sorry Parcells was and how he could hear Jim Burt throwing up.

I was at that game. I'll never forget telling my buddy I thought Joe's career was over simply because he didn't get up. Joe NEVER stayed down. He was always one tough SOB. I remember no one even knew who the back-up was.

I recall seeing the replays when I got home. I actually had touble sleeping that night.

I've crossed paths with Joe T. twice. Once in the bowels of RFK and once at Reagan National. Both times he spoke to me before I realized he was there. A tougher QB there never was.

Thats right so if you don't like to watch things like that like me then don't turn on ESPN Sportscenter tomorrow because I am sure they will be showing it. Anyway the big anniversary is tomorrow. Joe has done just fine since then and I am glad to see that.

VH1 recently had the "I Love the 80s" shows on and they showed the leg break -- over and over...

Before the days when the NFL was broadcast regularly over here, all we had was the radio commentary from the Armed Forces Network which faded in and out. I remember listening to many games that way. This was one game I missed but my brother had stayed up till 5am listening to it. He told me about it the next day. I felt sick, even more so when I saw the clips.

Joe T was my favourite player at the time and probably still is. He defines my early memories of the Redskins when I first discovered football in 1980.

Archived