Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I found this to be an interesting rumor

Dirk Diggler

Ron Wolf's Draft History 1992-2000

2000 1 1 14 14 Bubba Franks TE Miami (FL)

2 2 13 44 Chad Clifton T Tennessee

3 3 12 74 Steve Warren DT Nebraska

4 4 4 98 Na'il Diggs LB Ohio State

5 4 20 114 Anthony Lucas WR Arkansas

6 4 32 126 Gary Berry DB Ohio State

7 5 20 149 Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila LB San Diego State

8 5 22 151 Joey Jamison WR Texas Southern

9 7 18 224 Mark Tauscher G Wisconsin

10 7 23 229 Ron Moore DT NW Oklahoma State

11 7 36 242 Charles Lee WR Central Florida

12 7 43 249 Eugene McCaslin LB Florida

13 7 46 252 Rondell Mealey RB Louisiana State

1999 1 1 25 25 Antwan Edwards DB Clemson

2 2 16 47 Fred Vinson DB Vanderbilt

3 3 26 87 Mike McKenzie DB Memphis

4 3 33 94 Cletidus Hunt DT Kentucky State

5 4 36 131 Aaron Brooks QB Virginia

6 4 38 133 Josh Bidwell P Oregon

7 5 26 159 DeMond Parker RB Oklahoma

8 5 30 163 Craig Heimburger C Missouri

9 6 27 196 Dee Miller WR Ohio State

10 6 34 203 Scott Curry G Montana

11 7 6 212 Chris Akins DB Arkansas-Pine Bluff

12 7 7 213 Donald Driver WR Alcorn State

1998 1 1 19 19 Vonnie Holliday DT North Carolina

2 3 29 90 Jonathan Brown DE Tennessee

3 4 29 121 Roosevelt Blackmon DB Morris Brown

4 5 27 150 Corey Bradford WR Jackson State

5 6 3 156 Scott McGarrahan DB New Mexico

6 6 34 187 Matt Hasselbeck QB Boston College

7 7 29 218 Edwin Watson RB Purdue

1997 1 1 30 30 Ross Verba G Iowa

2 2 30 60 Darren Sharper DB William & Mary

3 3 30 90 Brett Conway K Penn State

4 4 30 126 Jermaine Smith DT Georgia

5 5 30 160 Anthony Hicks LB Middle Tennessee State

6 7 12 213 Chris Miller WR USC

7 7 30 231 Jerald Sowell RB Tulane

8 7 39 240 Ronnie McAda QB Army

1996 1 1 27 27 John Michels T USC

2 2 26 56 Derrick Mayes WR Notre Dame

3 3 29 90 Mike Flanagan C UCLA

4 3 32 93 Tyrone Williams DB Nebraska

5 4 28 123 Chris Darkins RB Minnesota

6 6 41 208 Marco Rivera G Penn State

7 7 31 240 Kyle Wachholtz QB USC

8 7 43 252 Keith McKenzie LB Ball State

1995 1 1 32 32 Craig Newsome DB Arizona State

2 3 1 65 Darius Holland DT Colorado

3 3 2 66 William Henderson RB North Carolina

4 3 9 73 Brian Williams LB USC

5 3 26 90 Antonio Freeman WR Virginia Tech

6 4 19 117 Jeff Miller T Mississippi

7 5 26 160 Jay Barker QB Alabama

8 5 36 170 Travis Jervey RB Citadel

9 6 2 173 Charlie Simmons WR Georgia Tech

10 7 22 230 Adam Timmerman G South Dakota State

1994 1 1 16 16 Aaron Taylor T Notre Dame

2 3 19 84 LeShon Johnson RB Northern Illinois

3 4 23 126 Gabe Wilkins DE Gardner-Webb

4 5 15 146 Terry Mickens WR Florida A&M

5 5 18 149 Dorsey Levens RB Georgia Tech

6 6 8 169 Jay Kearney WR West Virginia

7 6 14 175 Ruffin Hamilton LB Tulane

8 6 20 181 Bill Schroeder WR Wisconsin-La Crosse

9 6 29 190 Paul Duckworth LB Connecticut

1993 1 1 15 15 Wayne Simmons LB Clemson

2 1 29 29 George Teague DB Alabama

3 3 25 81 Earl Dotson T Texas A&I

4 5 6 118 Mark Brunell QB Washington

5 5 7 119 James Willis LB Auburn

6 6 1 141 Doug Evans DB Louisiana Tech

7 6 12 152 Paul Hutchins T Western Michigan

8 6 16 156 Tim Watson DB Howard

9 7 15 183 Robert Kuberski DE Navy

1992 1 1 5 5 Terrell Buckley DB Florida State

2 2 6 34 Mark D'Onofrio LB Penn State

3 3 6 62 Robert Brooks WR South Carolina

4 4 19 103 Edgar Bennett RB Florida State

5 5 7 119 Dexter McNabb RB Florida

6 5 18 130 Orlando McKay WR Washington

7 6 17 157 Mark Chmura TE Boston College

8 7 22 190 Chris Holder WR Tuskegee

9 9 6 230 Ty Detmer QB Brigham Young

10 9 16 240 Shazzon Bradley DT Tennessee

11 10 5 257 Andrew Oberg T North Carolina

12 11 7 287 Gabe Mokwuah LB American

WOW!

:notworthy

The great success of this structure working together should not be messed with. We are acquiring good players who fit the needs of the systems and have only begun to really build within this system structure. It would be a horrible move to bring another personnel mind in over the top given how well this group has proven to work and function together.

It's nice and all to bring up the draft history with the skins but really that draft history is irrelevant for the current administration. I'm still wondering what people think a GM would do for the club. Snyder is still going to have a hand in negotiating all the contracts, and our scouting department isn't going to change (Cerrato et. al.) since they seem to be working cohesively with each other. People banter about saying that a GM would turn this franchise around but other than draft records what will the GM bring to the table? The draft is going to fall on Gibbs anyway from now on since we are drafting HIS players in HIS mold and that won't change if we bring in a GM or not. So again, what would an "official" GM bring to the table?

The great success of this structure working together should not be messed with. We are acquiring good players who fit the needs of the systems and have only begun to really build within this system structure. It would be a horrible move to bring another personnel mind in over the top given how well this group has proven to work and function together.

Art - I agree that giving him final say would be disruptive and a mistake if that's what you mean by "over the top." If we were just bringing him in as a consultant who would break down tape of our team and college prospects and make suggestions, then I am not sure how that could possibly hurt.

Art - I agree that giving him final say would be disruptive and a mistake if that's what you mean by "over the top." If we were just bringing him in as a consultant who would break down tape of our team and college prospects and make suggestions, then I am not sure how that could possibly hurt.

Again, I can't really see the point. Wolf has been out of the league for a spell. It would take him a LOT of time to come up to speed with NFL free agents and college players. His input would be limited for some time as he comes up with reports generated by others as he will not be seeing many of these guys personally. He's accustomed to a leadership position in personnel and, frankly, I prefer the way Gibbs is structuring this team with character guys who are hungry to win and serious about it when they lose.

I very much trust Gibbs' instincts when it comes to identifying the type of player he wants on his team. I have no reason to trust Wolf who, in my view, pretty much made his career on hitting the lotto with Favre as had he missed, no one would really think all that much of him.

I don't think we would be able to give Wolf what he wants, which I assume would be complete personnel control. Nor do I think it would be a good idea to disrupt our current setup to do so. However, if we could hire him in a "draft consultant" role, I think it would be great, judging by his amazing drafts in Green Bay. I just doubt he'd be interested in being a consultant at this point.

But wow...those drafts he oversaw were impressive. Even many of the guys who didn't stick with the Packers went on to have impressive careers elsewhere. Whereas, guys who didn't stick here pretty much didn't stick ANYWHERE.

There has been minimal turnover in the front office.

Sorry, but I consider the Head Coach part of the FO, particularly with the way this FO works.

Also, I disagree with you that Spurrier didn't have a say. Certainly, we wouldn't have gotten all of those Florida people, ship Stephen Davis out of there for Trung Canidate, etc, if Spurrier didn't have some say.

Jason

I'd rather get a young up-and-coming scouting mind. Someone who has been working closely with some of other GMs in the league. We can groom him under Coach Gibbs for a few years and he can take over as President when he leaves. Not sure of any names, but someone from the staff's of Pioli or Newsome would be nice.

I don't know if I'd use the words "great success" to describe the current structure. It has "improved" recently, but if that improvement is enough to make a complete team that will be a top team for any number of years remains to be seen. As it stands the team is still drafting poorly and suffers from an impressive lack of depth along both offensive and defensive lines. Also the defensive side of the ball appears to have taken a noticable step back in and the only thing that has changed are the players.

It takes years to build a team and I acknowledge that most moves have been good. But until this team stops taking a step back that is just significant enough to trip us up "great success" is far too charitable.

Uh, a few points here:

1.)Wolf never said he wouldn't work for Snyder - He said he wouldn't work here if Schottenheimer were the coach. He and Snyder had preliminary talks, but Snyder didn't pursue it after Wolf said he would want partial ownership of the Redskins to come out of retirement.

2.) Wolf coming back does NOT mean he wants to be GM - he came back briefly to work as a consultant for the Browns, before the Browns owner inexplicably supported Butch Davis' to purge the FO and give him complete control.

3.) Art - I wholeheartedly agree that the current setup has done extraordinarily well in terms of acquiring pro personnel. I must insist however that our late draft pick selections have been absolutely lamentable during the Snyder era. Bringing Wolf in to add more input on the draft, particularly on second day picks, would be a huge plus.

I don't know if I'd use the words "great success" to describe the current structure. It has "improved" recently, but if that improvement is enough to make a complete team that will be a top team for any number of years remains to be seen. As it stands the team is still drafting poorly and suffers from an impressive lack of depth along both offensive and defensive lines. Also the defensive side of the ball appears to have taken a noticable step back in and the only thing that has changed are the players.

It takes years to build a team and I acknowledge that most moves have been good. But until this team stops taking a step back that is just significant enough to trip us up "great success" is far too charitable.

Destino,

You have to consider the fact that Gibbs inherited a team with few draft picks, a lot of big contracts, and not a whole lot of players to run his offense. Whenever you change coaches, there are always rough patches where you find out who can play and who can't. To be honest, I think Gibbs and crew have done an amazing job finding players who can play, especially off the scrapheap.

Yeah, the team is lacking in depth, but that's probably true of most teams in one aspect or another. You get a couple of injuries to any team in critical spots, and they are probably going to be in trouble.

Personally, I like the kind of players he's picked up, and how he's gotten rid of players who won't buy into what he's doing here. I think this is a much better team than what Spurrier left us after he resigned, and this is with few draft picks.

Jason

Again, I can't really see the point. Wolf has been out of the league for a spell. It would take him a LOT of time to come up to speed with NFL free agents and college players. His input would be limited for some time as he comes up with reports generated by others as he will not be seeing many of these guys personally. He's accustomed to a leadership position in personnel and, frankly, I prefer the way Gibbs is structuring this team with character guys who are hungry to win and serious about it when they lose.

I very much trust Gibbs' instincts when it comes to identifying the type of player he wants on his team. I have no reason to trust Wolf who, in my view, pretty much made his career on hitting the lotto with Favre as had he missed, no one would really think all that much of him.

I think it's a bit naive to assume that Wolf has just been watching Jeopardy or fly fishing for the past 4 seasons. People like Wolf keep a close eye and ear to what's going on in the league because they know how easy it is to get sucked back in after a year or two of listening to the old lady complain. And they say the competition on Sundays is pretty addicting also. :)

It's not like they are picking this guy up out of the moth balls and he has to gain an understanding of today's NFL. He was a GM as recently as 2000. That would mean that Wolf would only need to get up to speed on players drafted in 2001 and 2002 since they would be the ones entering the free agent market in 06. But I think you overestimate just how much time it would take for him to get "up to speed." He was a consultant in CLeveland 2 years ago before Butch Davis ran him out of town after a few months because he felt threatened. Bill Parcells hired him this past offseason to help evaluate his team and make suggestions. Doesn't sound like he's been out of the game much at all, does it?

And you can certainly question how much power Wolf wants and how that may impact the current front office dynamic, but only a fool would question his credentials. Yes he hit on Favre, but there is a laundry list of other players he drafted during his stint in GB that were solid to Pro Bowl caliber players. I'd like to know who drafted better from 1991-2000?

Great Success? Horrible Move? How well this group has proven to work?

Am I on the Pats board?

Great Success? Horrible Move? How well this group has proven to work?

Am I on the Pats board?

No, you're not on a Pats board, but you're certainly on a board of a team with a similar setup, though, our personnel guys and coaches haven't worked together where New England's only was able to get a job based on having worked together previously, making our situation a little more impressive for how well everything has fit together and worked since Gibbs came in.

There's no denying the sound moves made since Gibbs and Williams came in and lended stability to the personnel process allowing our people to identify players to fit their systems. This will continue to improve the longer it is maintained. There's ZERO reason to consider any alterations.

that would mean Gibbs would give up his powers and his round table discussion group type setup he has now... hmm

I dont think he would really give up to much power he would still be The team president it would most likely leave cerrato as the odd man out. but if it worked Wolf could work the draft end of the deal and Gibbs could work the free agent side of it. which would actually lesson a load on him and they would both still concur as to who and what they need.

No, you're not on a Pats board, but you're certainly on a board of a team with a similar setup, though, our personnel guys and coaches haven't worked together where New England's only was able to get a job based on having worked together previously, making our situation a little more impressive for how well everything has fit together and worked since Gibbs came in.

There's no denying the sound moves made since Gibbs and Williams came in and lended stability to the personnel process allowing our people to identify players to fit their systems. This will continue to improve the longer it is maintained. There's ZERO reason to consider any alterations.

Nice to see that I'm not the only person in here that actually thinks Gibbs knows what he's doing. There is zero reason to make any changes to the way this team is run right now.

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School

1 2 LaVar Arrington OLB Penn State

1 3 Chris Samuels T Alabama

3 64 Lloyd Harrison CB North Carolina State

4 129 Michael Moore G Troy State

5 155 Quincy Sanders DB Nevada-Las Vegas

6 202 Todd Husak QB Stanford

7 216 Delbert Cowsette DT Maryland

7 250 Ethan Howell WR Oklahoma State

1 15 Rod Gardner WR Clemson

2 45 Fred Smoot CB Mississippi State

4 109 Sage Rosenfels QB Iowa State

5 154 Darnerien McCants WR Delaware State

6 186 Mario Monds DT Cincinnati

1 32 Patrick Ramsey QB Tulane

2 56 Ladell Betts RB Iowa

3 79 Rashad Bauman CB Oregon

3 87 Cliff Russell WR Utah

5 159 Andre Lott FS Tennessee

5 160 Robert Royal TE Louisiana State

6 192 Reggie Coleman T Tennessee

7 230 Jeff Grau C UCLA

7 234 Greg Scott DE Hampton

7 257 Rock Cartwright RB Kansas State

2 44 Taylor Jacobs WR Florida

3 81 Derrick Dockery G Texas

7 232 Gibran Hamdan QB Indiana

1 5 Sean Taylor FS Miami

3 81 Chris Cooley FB Utah State

5 151 Mark Wilson T California

6 180 Jim Molinaro T Notre Dame

Rd Sel# Player Pos. Ht. Wt. School

1 9 Rogers, Carlos CB 6-0 199 Auburn

1 25 Campbell, Jason QB 6-4 223 Auburn

4 120 White, Manuel FB 6-2 244 UCLA

5 154 McCune, Robert ILB 6-0 243 Louisville

6 183 Newberry, Jared OLB 6-1 234 Stanford

7 222 Broughton, Nehemiah FB 5-11 250 The Citadel

Anything on that list before 2004 is irrellevant.

For me, I'd say Gibbs did pretty darn well in 2004 and 2005, especially considering they were his first years back, and the team had so many holes to address. Taylor, Cooley, and Rogers all look to be great picks. Nemo is still on the team. McCune is back on the team. White would still be on the team if he hadn't broke his leg. He missed on a fifth and 2 sixth rounders. That happens with all teams.

Anything on that list before 2004 is irrellevant.

For me, I'd say Gibbs did pretty darn well in 2004 and 2005, especially considering they were his first years back, and the team had so many holes to address. Taylor, Cooley, and Rogers all look to be great picks. Nemo is still on the team. McCune is back on the team. White would still be on the team if he hadn't broke his leg. He missed on a fifth and 2 sixth rounders. That happens with all teams.

It is way too early to tell if the 2005 draft was a good one for several reasons.

- Carlos Rogers seems to have talent though he's still unable to produce more then Harris, and Harris wasn't good enough to be a starter last year. If Carlos improves and is more reliable in coverage then Smoot was in the next 2 years then it was a good move. If he doesn't, and make no mistake he has NOT at this time, then the loss of Smoot and use of a 1st round to replace him becomes a very costly mistake.

- Jason Campbell has not played a down yet. He could be brilliant and provide this team with something it hasn't had in a long time - a long term solution at QB. Or he could turn out to be a bust that costs us a 1st and 2nd round pick.

- The other 4 picks do not seem ready to even provide quality depth at this point. McCune and Broughton seem to have the best chance of turning into good backups but that remains to be seen. The other two don't look so hot.

As of right now the draft has not improved this team over what we had last year. It will all depend on how these players turn out, this draft could very well turn out to be great but it could also be a failure.

Archived