Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In hindsight, giving up 2006 first round #20 - 32 for Campbell...

timdaley73

My fear (outside of my belief that Campbell isnt smart enough to be an NFL QB) is that we could be 1 player away from being a serious contender next year. And that a 1st round pick of a speed rushing DE would make the difference.

Now we wont have that option.

Just because we won't have that option in the first round doesn't mean that we can't find that player another way. Every great player isn't picked in the first round.

I think that jason campbell was picked by Gibbs because of the way he fits perfectly into our system. He is a lot like brunell in the way he moves around in the pocket and out of the pocket. Gibbs needs a qb that is mobile, and while they like Ramsey, he just isnt mobile at all. Gibbs picks players that fit his system and have character. he always has and he always will. so far its work great so why believe that it wont work great again. With the people Campbell is learning from, he could be something great.

My fear is that when Campbell is ready to play, will Gibbs be around? As some have noted, if Campbell isn't ready to start until 3 or 4 years down the road, there is the possibility that Gibbs may no longer be the coach at that point. If this is indeed the case, is the new coaching staff going to see Campbell as their starting qb, or will he suffer the fate experienced by Patrick Ramsey under our current regime?

I'm not ready to do carwheels over the move yet. Even if Campbell turns out to be a good qb, I'm still not sure he is worth ALL of the picks we gave up to get him. To justify the choice, he needs to have a few All-Pro seasons.

And I still think Denver is going to try to package their picks to get into the Matt Leinart sweepstakes. That's always been the obvious move. Granted, two picks in the 20s are going to be a lot harder to move, but they still have a lot of flexibility in the draft...whereas we have none.

No matter what the pick is this year, the guy cost us two first rounders. He needs to be THE guy in the near future. Sad to say it, but Ramsey needs to move onto another team. Brunell has I think, including this one, three good years left. So by this time next year, maybe we can start thinking about Campbell and where he fits in.

My fear (outside of my belief that Campbell isnt smart enough to be an NFL QB) is that we could be 1 player away from being a serious contender next year. And that a 1st round pick of a speed rushing DE would make the difference.

Well weve all seen Ramsey is not smart enough to play QB so Campbell cant be worse and Ramsey was a 1st round pick also.

They must know something we don't and the rest of the NFL that passed on Campbell.

Not to compare the two just yet but, the "rest of the NFL" passed on Dan Marino too. You sometimes have to go with your gut. If Gibbs' gut says Jason Campbell is going to be a good pro QB, that's more than good enough for me.

The only thing Campbell cost the team is the 3rd and 4th round pick - the price for getting an extra year of prep time for Campbell (provided they wind up in the 20th position or lower, of course). Seems like a worthwhile price to pay considering the position - I'm a big proponent of a QB sitting and learning before playing.

For those who thinks a pass-rushing DE would have been the ticket, who fits that description that was available when the Redskins picked Campbell?

Looking back none of us liked the move much but now it looks genius.

From what I saw of Campbell, he is the perfect fit for the Gibbs offense. He's mobile, strong and accurate arm, smart, and he runs the bootleg well. He's basically a Mark Brunell clone, but instead he's a righty.

It's always been my belief, however, that a QB learns more when he's playing than watching. Now I'm not saying we should throw him to the wolves right away, but remember what Cincinatti did with Jon Kitna? He had an All-Pro year nearly leading the Bengals to the playoffs but Lewis benches him for Carson Palmer. Didn't look good right away but now the Bengals are paying dividends because Palmer is going to be an awesome QB for a long time.

Whatever Gibbs does, I'll trust. His moves in FA and the draft have been top notch. Great Head Coach AND great Team President. :)

My fear is that when Campbell is ready to play, will Gibbs be around? As some have noted, if Campbell isn't ready to start until 3 or 4 years down the road, there is the possibility that Gibbs may no longer be the coach at that point. If this is indeed the case, is the new coaching staff going to see Campbell as their starting qb, or will he suffer the fate experienced by Patrick Ramsey under our current regime?

Whether Campbell has what it takes or not, he will be well trained & prepared. Unlike Ramsey, Campbell will benifit from:

1) Nurtured under proven coaching (vs 1rst time NFL coaching)

2) Nurtured under proven QBing (Mark Brunell vs Shane Mathews & Danny Wuerfful - ouch!)

3) Nurtured under the same coaching/offensive system (vs 2 contrary offensive systems, fun&gun vs pass protection)

4) Not thrown to the wolves his rookie season.

Campbell will never have to go through what Ramsey went through with total regime change because Gibbs is Team President not just Head Coach. So there will be continuity in coaching, players and management.

The only thing Campbell cost the team is the 3rd and 4th round pick - the price for getting an extra year of prep time for Campbell (provided they wind up in the 20th position or lower, of course). Seems like a worthwhile price to pay considering the position - I'm a big proponent of a QB sitting and learning before playing.

For those who thinks a pass-rushing DE would have been the ticket, who fits that description that was available when the Redskins picked Campbell?

It cost us that PLUS next years 1st rounder.

And at this point, I dont know who will be available next year. I do know though, that we wont be able to draft that person.

We need to address the offensive and defensive line in the draft... though Im not sure in what order. Any Idea what we take first? Or is it based on the caliber of each player available at the time of the pick?

Our O'Line is one of the better lines in the NFL - they have the occasional brain fart and Dockery has more potential than production but even then he is still a legit starter.

Me I want to see us get a DE who can rush the passer and a DT who can play next to Griffin. Do that and we turn a good D into a great one.

I think the DE will have to come via FA though - maybe we can swing something with the Jets along the Ramsey for Abrahams line ?? NOt sure if we can fit Abrahams in our cap though.

HTTR

Martin

It cost us that PLUS next years 1st rounder.

And at this point, I dont know who will be available next year. I do know though, that we wont be able to draft that person.

No, they got next year's first rounder a year early. At least, that's how I look at it. Remember, they had TWO firsts last season, which they would not have had w/o the trade.

And, true, they won't have a crack (barring some manuvering) at a prime pass-rushing prospect in their first round slot next April, should one be there.

It's hard to make an argument for a hypothetical, though. The true everydown monsters are gone by then (again, thinking the Redskins will be in the lower third). What is generally available at that point are those tweener-types that may or may not pan out.

You have a valid point, but I doubt there is going to be a projected unquestioned professional pass-rushing demon available, so, I'm not going to ping the team for missing out on a possibility.

I am not sure about our cap situation next year but eating all that money for Coles this year must help. I can see us going after a quality DE next year in FA. the dude from the jets comes to mind since he hasn't signed yet and low and behold we might have a QB that the Jets may want next year.

Archived