Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In hindsight, giving up 2006 first round #20 - 32 for Campbell...

timdaley73

Anyone else see the genius of this deal?!?! We grabbed an extra year with a quality QB for 2006 #20 - 32 pick... I bet Broncos were hoping it be a top 10, but HECK NO at this rate!!!!!!!!!!

With Brunell having a stable year and has maybe a year or 2 left, and PR being a decent backup... Jason Cambell is getting a lot of learning/training this year... We are giving him time to develop while we have a stable starter and a decent backup... If we waited to get a rookie QB next year or the following, we would be a mess if Brunell retires and/or PR leaves... This gives us insurance and time to develop our QB of the future!!

:point2sky

Other than drafts, the moves in the front office has been solid.

Time will tell on Campbell, but media haters of the trade will look silly if we do give the Broncos a late first rounder after all the garbage we heard when the deal went down.

Well, I wouldn't pop the bubbly yet.

There are 2 parts to the trade: What pick does the #1 become and what does Campbell do and they are not mutually exclusive. The lower the pick, the less impact Campbell needs to make. Still, we won't know what kind of player Campbell is for 3 or 4 more seasons - perhaps more - so we won't be able to judge the trade for that long unless he becomes a Big Ben type. If the pick is in the 20s, all Campbell really needs to do is become a solid NFL Qb along the lines of a Trent Green or Matt Hasselbeck. If it's in the top 10, he needs to become much more.

Campbell hasn't played a snap yet. A DE would have been mighty useful especially with the injuries. If he pans out is was a good move and gives him a year of study under his belt. However, he probably could have been gotten in the second or maybe even third round, considering how raw he is judged to be, so I still wish the trade had worked otherwise. Hope I'm proven an idiot.

My fear (outside of my belief that Campbell isnt smart enough to be an NFL QB) is that we could be 1 player away from being a serious contender next year. And that a 1st round pick of a speed rushing DE would make the difference.

Now we wont have that option.

Anyone else see the genius of this deal?!?! We grabbed an extra year with a quality QB for 2006 #20 - 32 pick... I bet Broncos were hoping it be a top 10, but HECK NO at this rate!!!!!!!!!!

With Brunell having a stable year and has maybe a year or 2 left, and PR being a decent backup... Jason Cambell is getting a lot of learning/training this year... We are giving him time to develop while we have a stable starter and a decent backup... If we waited to get a rookie QB next year or the following, we would be a mess if Brunell retires and/or PR leaves... This gives us insurance and time to develop our QB of the future!!

Saw it back then. I really thought the main reason for getting a first round QB this year was to get him learning off Mark Brunell and get a year of quality learning under his belt if we cannot keep Ramsey. And it gives the Redskins leverage negotiating with Ramsey, if they choose to keep Ramsey.

In hindsight, all of Gibbs' roster moves have worked out

The only one that hadn't until this year was Brunell. And now look at him

Well, you might include Mike Barrow in this, and I'm still a bit torn about Pierce leaving.

Overall though, we've been masterful in our handling of FA's.

Campbell hasn't played a snap yet. A DE would have been mighty useful especially with the injuries. If he pans out is was a good move and gives him a year of study under his belt. However, he probably could have been gotten in the second or maybe even third round, considering how raw he is judged to be, so I still wish the trade had worked otherwise. Hope I'm proven an idiot.

This is exactly my thinking. We really could have used a pass rusher. With Ramsey as the starter (at the time), the future of the QB position was set for years.

Now that it appears Ramsey is done here, yes, it's nice to know we have a young prospect already waiting in the wings. But I wonder how good this defense could have been had that pick been used to bolster the line.

My fear (outside of my belief that Campbell isnt smart enough to be an NFL QB) is that we could be 1 player away from being a serious contender next year. And that a 1st round pick of a speed rushing DE would make the difference.

Now we wont have that option.

Good point there. Although I think this year will be a fairly deep D-line draft again and we may be able to get a surprise in the 2nd round

Getting some pass rush from the d-line next year is going to be key

Archived