Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mark Brunell and Marcus Washington at The Cheesecake Factory

The Full Monty

Im a server/bartender at Chilis in Tysons. I for one understand how most servers feel about tips. For example, I was Bartending one day and this couple came in for some drinks. They were drinking pretty hard and it became obvious they werent together. The guy was acting like a baller to impress her, saying things like "Whatever you want, babe" At the end they're check was around $60. She goes in her purse, he stops her as I expected him to do and throws out a credit card. She thanks me for the great service ( It was ) and leaves. This guy gives me dap and leaves me a $4 tip. I was furious. I make $2.15 and hour and dont have time to waste on people like that. I could have help 3 or 4 other tables better in the amount of time they had me over there helping them. Its just principle, if you dont have the money to tip well (especially when recieving good/great service) dont dine in, get your food togo!

Im a server/bartender at Chilis in Tysons. I for one understand how most servers feel about tips. For example, I was Bartending one day and this couple came in for some drinks. They were drinking pretty hard and it became obvious they werent together. The guy was acting like a baller to impress her, saying things like "Whatever you want, babe" At the end they're check was around $60. She goes in her purse, he stops her as I expected him to do and throws out a credit card. She thanks me for the great service ( It was ) and leaves. This guy gives me dap and leaves me a $4 tip. I was furious. I make $2.15 and hour and dont have time to waste on people like that. I could have help 3 or 4 other tables better in the amount of time they had me over there helping them. Its just principle, if you dont have the money to tip well (especially when recieving good/great service) dont dine in, get your food togo!

Yeah I got a buddy who works at a Chilis in Kingstowne. That place is notorious for crappy tippers. One time a woman was in there for happy hour with her baby, throwin' back budweisers. When she took off all she left as a tip was the baby's dirty diaper on the table (i'm not joking). He was so angry he ran out to cuss the bi#ch out in the parking lot but his manager stopped him and said to just let it go.

Here is my story, although it isn't a skins story:

I live in Philly (born and raised in D.C. and a Skins fan) and last year a bunch of my friends, after an intramural football game went to a well known South Philly bar/restaurant called Chickie's and Pete's. We were in a back area cause there were about 20 of us on a Sunday immediately following an Eagles' game. Well, low and behold, Jevon Kearse walks into our area and him and his entourage sat at another table in the room. Someone went over and asked if it would be cool to take a picture and he was surprisingly nice and more than gracious to do so (especially since he had no need to). The best part is it was right before the Eagles/Steelers game and he was like "we are going to take Pittsburgh down next week"

I heard Jeremiah Trotter does not tip. One guy on this board mentioned serving truck loads of food for Trotter one night. Trotter made a mess then left the restaurant really late. He only left a few bucks or so...and this was right after that buffoon signed that huge Danny Snyder contract. :laugh:

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Maybe he should'nt go into detail about Mr. Washingtons night out with regards to the financial/business portion of the evening. That may not sit well with Marcus or the CF. I liked the story though.

I live in Ashburn and eat out ALOT. Saw Gibbs & Don B at Swee****er, LA and Moss at wing factory etc... It's great and we have never had a bad experience speaking to them.

As far as tipping, these folks make zippy by the hour and rely on the tips. If they do a reasonable job tip em 20%. If they suck but are nice and trying hard give em 20%. You also have to take into account how many tables they have, how busy are they etc... If you're gonna eat out where you sit down and are served you gotta expect that 20% is part of it. If you're not willing then order pizza, get fast food do something other than waste these peoples' time and make yourself look cheap.

I've been fortunate enough not to work as a server. How come servers/bartenders don't make more than $4 an hour again? Is it because most of you work part-time?

Doesn't it seem like your beef is with your industry? Granted you are taking the risk that you'll make up for that in tips. It seems like if you do about 5 tables an hour, averaging to $20 bills (at a "lousy" 10 %) that ups you to $14 an hours, which isn't bad.

I normally try to tip well but I'd consider myself a "poor American".... I never notice any change in service because I never remember having the same server (I normally go to different restaurant chains). So what is the benefit of me leaving more than 10-15% besides generosity? A tip shouldn't be an entitlement. Last time I went to Cheescake Factory I had excellent service.

I waited tables and bartended for years. Been there, done that. If the service is adequate, 15%. If the service was friendly and the server is TRYING to give good service, then I give 20% or more.

But if I get bad service, I simply reflect on how much tip I think I would have -deserved- for giving the same service. I rarely ever stiff anyone, but it has happened on more than one occassion. I have taken my greivance to management before as well.....

I also agree that he has a right to tell his story. It happened in the public domain. He is simply reporting what happened, and its not like it was bad. I'm sure if I were Marcus Washington, I'd drink a bottle of wine as well, after having that kind of day at the office. LOL

ooh yeah

I once got into a fight with some DC United bums. The guy left me 5 on 50 after he left the club without his id and credit card. So I went and tracked him down brought him his stuff of which his friends all said was such a nice thing to do. Needless to say after I saw the tip I showed it to his friends and told him he was a cheap ass. oh well, tip may have sucked but so do mullets and soccer. IF any DC United people read this -- don't go out if you can't afford it...

tools.

I am a server @ Outback and it always made me wonder why people tip ****ty and tell me I did a great job. This thread answers it....ignorance

Yes, I was a server in college and some when I began my profession. It is amazing how some people tip $1 per person no matter how much their meal was worth or how much time they spent at the table. And, on "kids night" at the Bennigan'-like restaurant I worked at, the good upper-middle class families with like 4 kids would tip $1 per PARENT, when you had a HUGE mess of crackers and screaming kids to wait on the whole time. It is ignorance.

As for the debate here, I personally enjoyed hearing about these 'celebrity sightings'. There is no celebrity I would be more excited to see than a Redskin, especially Marcus Washington and Mark Brunell.

I can see both sides of this.....were it my business I'd be reluctant to encourage the posting of what happens there...

On the other hand - as a fan - I really enjoy reading it.

If I had another hand, which I don't, I've never been a member of a waitstaff. My sister has and the experiences she has shared w/ me are amazing. I do my absolute best to find a reason to tip at least 20% if the person is trying.

What I don't get is people going to breakfast and having a $6 or $7 bill and leaving $1.00 or so rationalizing that it is 15%. Once a week or so I go to bfast by myself or eat at the Olive Garden by myself (on the road most of the time) in order to stave off the really bad fast food tendencies of outside salespeople. The bill comes to $7 or so and I see people leaving no money at all.....the waitstaff has re-filled drinks, brought more soup or salad (ala Olive Garden) and people tip so very little.

On a bill about $7, with a good waiter I have to at least tip $10 and sometimes more.....but then again - I'm not racking up huge bills....I don't go out to eat that often and nobody would recognize me going back for the 8th time on the Pizza Hut buffet and report it on a message board....

...so I have no opinion.

I do my job at the Cheesecake Factory and I do it well. It's the busiest restaurant in VA and in my year of work there, I happen to observe people of interest such as Redskins who come in from time to time and make note of it to those who share an interest in Redskins.

I've looked through what I wrote about M. Washington and others, and I don't see any personal criticism of their character or their private relationships. Nothing remotely constituting some denigration of their character or honor. Simply observing and commenting on what we see and know. You bring up the wine, I for one was 'impressed' with that and put up a " :cheers: ".... I made no further insinuation. I observed that his lady friend was lovely. Nothing more. Afterwards we even chatted with him briefly and he mentioned how sore he was.

I realize that I am in a unique situation in that I regularly see Redskins in their private lives, but to categorize my observation of their activities as intrusive when I have never interacted with them to begin with is beyond the pale. To correlate what I write about the Redskins with anything resembling celebrity gossip is likewise beyond the pale.

If Clinton Portis or anyone else leaves small tips and I make mention of that here, I fail to see how that constitutes intrusion as well, as I am only relating what I have seen to be true time and time again. But for argument's sake let's assume he does tip based on service and that's why he tips low...if that's truly the case then he must be some kind of masochist because he's shows up at Tyson's a lot. If he left huge tips I would mention that too.

If the information I relate is displeasing to you in your professional ethical standard, then kindly dismiss it as one Skin fan's recollection of an otherwise tedious Monday night.

A very gracious, reasonable, and eloquent response Monty.

Monty...while you seem to be admired for sharing the details of your encounters with Redskin players, but I for one have a HUGE problem with it. You are being paid to do a job at the restaurant...not to be a reporter for a celebrity gossip magazine. If a current or former Redskins comes into your place of employment you should perform your job in a professional manner and in my opinion keep your mouth shut afterwards. To post in a public forum details of their personal lives is just outright irresponsible on your part. Is it really anyone's business how much wine a player had to consume with dinner? Is it proper to describe whom they were dining with? And to post a tip amount in a public forum is downright intrusive as well. A guest should be able to dine at an establishment and not have the intimate details of their dining experience posted on the internet. If I was a player and go wind that this was happening you can be damn sure that I would NEVER patronize this place again. You can throw a number out there for Mr. Portis' tip but do you know what type of service he actually received, and how satisfied he was with said service. I am a business owner myself and if one of my employees had acted in the manner in which you have they would be preparing their resume. I hope that the GM at the Cheesecake Factory feels the same way.

I totally disagree. One, don't knock on Monty for this, as it is a common habit of anyone in the service industry who happens to serve celebrities. It is a public interest and is something realistic to expect if your profession entails entertainment of the public. You are free to take issue with it but attack the issue not the person. Where do you egt off telling him what his job is and how to do it. I find the information interesting having been shared in a forum in a relatively objective fashion.

Monty...while you seem to be admired for sharing the details of your encounters with Redskin players, but I for one have a HUGE problem with it. You are being paid to do a job at the restaurant...not to be a reporter for a celebrity gossip magazine. If a current or former Redskins comes into your place of employment you should perform your job in a professional manner and in my opinion keep your mouth shut afterwards. To post in a public forum details of their personal lives is just outright irresponsible on your part. Is it really anyone's business how much wine a player had to consume with dinner? Is it proper to describe whom they were dining with? And to post a tip amount in a public forum is downright intrusive as well. A guest should be able to dine at an establishment and not have the intimate details of their dining experience posted on the internet. If I was a player and go wind that this was happening you can be damn sure that I would NEVER patronize this place again. You can throw a number out there for Mr. Portis' tip but do you know what type of service he actually received, and how satisfied he was with said service. I am a business owner myself and if one of my employees had acted in the manner in which you have they would be preparing their resume. I hope that the GM at the Cheesecake Factory feels the same way.

Ok, your first flaw is assuming that a restaurant "pays" their employees. A lot of places their employees make all their money of tips alone. A portion of which is taken by the restaurant off of total sales.

So lets use YOU as an example come in and leave a lousy tip. 1 dollar on 39. Now take 3% of that. And it totals $1.20. Hmmmmm he just paid 20 cents and wasted his time to wait on your cheap ass.

Having obviously never worked a restaurant job I forgive you for being unable to comprehend how a poor tipper could be extremely detrimental to one's financial livelyhood.

And with that I must add. Mr. Snyder is one of the best tippers in the city. And Michael Jordan was the WORST.

i used to be a server at Lonestar and Deion Sanders came in one day... I didn't wait on him but heard he tipped crappy as well.... but what else would you expect from a former cowgirl

I do the same thing jrockster does... round my bill up and then tip 20 percent off that rounded number. I'll throw in more if the person did a great job. I'll give 15% only if they weren't that great. My mom on the other hand... she's all like, "you're not supposed to tip on the tax," so she tries to get away with tipping less...but I always make her tip more. I've been there. It feels good to be appreciated, and appreciation is shown by a higher tip.

Archived