Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mark Brunell and Marcus Washington at The Cheesecake Factory

The Full Monty

Hey all,

From time to time I've reported on the Redskins sightings I've come across as a server at The Cheesecake Factory in Tysons II, there was my first sighting of Mark Brunell last winter on the Thursday night before the second Giants game, he'd already been benched in favor of Ramsey and most people including myself didn't think too highly of him as a player at the time.

My how things have changed. Anyways, he came into Cheesecake Factory on Sunday night with about 14 other people, including his very pretty wife, what looked to be his 4 kids, and two more couples and the rest all children: almost all the little kids had Brunell jerseys on. :)

I was waiting tables in a section right near where Brunell's family was sitting but I myself was busy and lost track of what was going on. I really wanted to try and simply say 'hi, great game' to him on his way out of the restaurant. It was over an hour later, maybe an hour and a half passed, and I saw that they were all paying, so like the good server that I am went to the kitchen sink and washed my hands before I was about to meet him (didn't wanna shake his hand without washing) and then just my luck---when I get back, everyone's left the table. That's my reward for being considerate... ;)

Anyways, last night I'm at work and I start hearing from people that Marcus Washington is in the restaurant, and low and behold, he's at a nearby table with a, uh, very lovely young lady, light skinned black girl, possibly his wife (I'm not sure if he's married or single).

As I was taking care of my own tables I kept glancing over at Mr. Washington from time to time and was able to come up with the following...

For those interested in the dining habits of a ProBowl LB named Marcus Washington: as an appetizer he and his lady started off with the Tex Mex Eggrolls. For dinner he chose the Stuffed Chicken Tortillas, one of my favorite items on the menu (minus the black beans, which just aren't my thing).

What really impressed me was how much Marcus Washington could drink. He drank 6 glasses of white wine, likely Bonny Doon Riesling---6 glasses-- that's 1 glass more than a whole bottle's worth. :cheers:

As he walked out his server and I chatted with him real briefly and he was walking really slow and stiff, he was clearly sore, even saying with a smile "Man my legs are bout to fall downfrom under me," The guy's always smiling and was really friendly. He left his server a $20 tip on a $98 check. (only 2 people!)

That's pretty sweet considering some other Redskins that have come in.

Here's some interesting info on Redskins past and present's tipping habits and how they were to servers from what my friends at work have said and I myself have seen:

Mark Brunell: nice guy, good to average tipper (Mrs. Brunell when she comes in always tips huge)

Gardner: nice guy, liked talking to you, good tipper.

Chad Morton: nice guy, great tipper (was known as best)

Coles: 'not friendly at all', 'kind of mean', average tipper

Dockery and Jansen: nice guys, very good tippers

Clinton Portis: mixed bag, very demanding yet nice, but that gets outweighed by the fact that he is a horrible horrible tipper (worst of them all).

$20 on $98? I thought 20% was pretty much standard. That's right on the money.

20% is standard. Some people really don't know that though, or they know but they don't care. I mean, my friend who served Washington was bracing himself for anything. He could've been another Clinton Portis ($20 on $170) :doh:

I'll clarify: if service was just decent, bare bones, mediocre service (we all know what that is), then 15% should is indeed standard. If the service experience was very good to excellent, it should be no less than 20%.

Regardless, all I wanna do is wait on a Redskin. Like half the restaurant has waited on one and I've been there a whole year and nada...

Here's some interesting info on Redskins past and present's tipping habits and how they were to servers from what my friends at work have said and I myself have seen:

Mark Brunell: nice guy, good to average tipper (Mrs. Brunell when she comes in always tips huge)

Gardner: nice guy, liked talking to you, good tipper.

Chad Morton: nice guy, great tipper (was known as best)

Coles: 'not friendly at all', 'kind of mean', average tipper

Dockery and Jansen: nice guys, very good tippers

Clinton Portis: mixed bag, very demanding yet nice, but that gets outweighed by the fact that he is a horrible horrible tipper (worst of them all).

It's funny that 20% is now considered an average tip, up from 15% which is up from 10% years and years ago.

Interesting that Coles went from being a great tipper in your last sighting to average.

I have met many Redskins over the years.

Terry Allen sat at my table for 4 hrs, check was $220, his buddy paid the check and Stiffed me. Unreal. As they were leaving Allen was like 'hey man thanks', I shrugged, glared and said "yeah whatever". He looked at his buddy and siad did you tip that guy ? His buddy says "I thought it was included" On a 4-Top ? Dumbass. Terry walks over to me and hands me 20 bucks and apologized.

They cost me probably 60 bucks or more that day.

Brian Mitchell - One of the best tippers always 30% or more.

Yeah, I've always heard that 15% is standard, and 20% is excellent. Although my friend who used to be a server will fight me to death about that; she ALWAYS tips 20%, no matter how bad the service is, but if its bad, she'll go talk to the manager. I always said she was crazy. If I get bad service, the least amount I'll leave is 10-12%, unless I can obviously tell the restuarant (and probably the kitchen) are slammed. I used to be a broiler at a steakhouse, so I know how badly the kitchen can get slammed.

It's funny that 20% is now considered an average tip, up from 15% which is up from 10% years and years ago.

Interesting that Coles went from being a great tipper in your last sighting to average.

Unfortunately some people still tip based on years and years ago. Pathetic.

Someone should ask CP about this on the next chat. :laugh:

Yep. I've seen and heard varying things about him from his time here, unlike Morton or Gardner, who by all accounts were always generous.

Archived