Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

La Canfora drops Andyman's name...

wilbur58z

...in his Post chat.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2005/09/29/DI2005092901403.html

Jason La Canfora: Hello everyone. Hope you all enjoyed the bye week. Should be fun this weekend.

In the interet of full disclosure, turns out my Chelsea prediction was off - they actually gave up a goal last weekend - so that goes to show what I know.

Okay, let's have at it ...

Sevilla, Spain: I know Arrington is saying all the right things in the media about not being mad about playing time, but is he angry behind the scenes. Also, is it your opinion that he should be playing over Holdman.

Jason La Canfora: Sevilla, eh? How are the bullfights this time of year?

I think LaVar has a chip on his shoulder and wants to show he is a big-time player in the NFL, but as long as the defense is thriving and the team is winning, he knows there is not much he can say. He is being a team-first guy here and taking the high road, but I know that deep inside he burns to be out there every play.

Brunswick, Md.: Jason,

Do you think the Redskins would have had more than a "10 second" conversation with the Jets about trading Patrick Ramsey if they were 0-2, as opposed to 2-0?

Jason La Canfora: Could well be. But the season there for the taking and 14 straight weekend of football ahead, they know they need two QBs to get through the schedule, and Campbell just is not there yet, nor would anyone expect him to be.

Saying all of that, I would be utterly shocked if Patrick Ramsey is still here by the draft. I definitely see him moving on in the offseason, and so do many execs around the NFL.

Minneapolis, Minn.: Jason,

I remember when Gibbs circa 1980's used to be extremely innovative and timely with his offensive playcalling. Now I ask: why has he not designed more rollouts for Brunell? Why has Moss not touched the ball on reverses? Where are the one/two timely trick plays per game?

Does Gibbs just not trust these players on offense? His offense lacks any sort of imagination and I don't think anyone including Manning and the like would thrive under Gibbs 2005.

What say you?

Jason La Canfora: I say give it a little time. The bootleg was one of very few plays that worked early last season, and will still roll Brunell out. I look for Moss to be involved in some trickery soon. Sean Taylor continues to work with the offense on some red zone drills.

No doubt, there is a conservative approach here, but I think in the right situations we will see the flea-flickers and the like. Once Joe feels like he has a solid base in place - and this offense still has a ways to go - my thought is we will see the tricky stuff.

Fairfax, Va.: Is it not obvious to anyone but me that Mark Brunell cannot throw the intermediate route!!! You can blame the offensive line, the receivers not getting open, but how many times does Brunell drop back, **** the ball, and hold onto it because he doesn't have any confidence he can make the pass! We can't throw the long ball every game, and Brunell's only other pass in his arsenal is the 5 yard dump off.

Jason La Canfora: Not sure the lack of an intermediate passing game is all on Mark. That is actually the topic of the story I am writing for the Saturday paper, so I'll be interested to see what you think. According to Cooley, they just haven't been making those calls on the sideline thus far.

Washington, D.C.: I keep hearing Dockery criticized as the main flaw in the offensive line, but 5 sacks against Dallas? That can't be just one guy. So who else is playing poorly?

Jason La Canfora: The interior of the line is where the problems have been. Seems like teams are targetting the gaurds in particular, since they have played only 2 games so far with the new center, Rabach. Need better cohesion there.

Atlanta, GA.-skins fan: Jason,

Had the Redskins been interested in trading Ramsey to the Jets, what do you think they could have got? Would the Jets have been willing to deal Abraham? We could use a legitimate Pass Rusher, and that guy seems like a stud.

Jason La Canfora: From talking to people around the league, no one sees the Skins trading him in-season. And in the offseason, it will depend on if Patrick plays at all down the stretch here, and how he performs if he does.

Two GMs told me they see a decent market for him, but figure a second-round pick to be high end for now, probably more like a third and maybe a conditional.

As one put it, he never figured Jacksonville would have got a third-round pick from the Skins for Brunell, so you never know. It only takes one team to value a player more highly than the pack.

Washington, D.C.: How much input does Greg Williams have on defense personnel decisions. Seems since he joined we have added a number of extremely effective players that are not household names ... a seemingly big departure from the previous Serrato years. We seem to be getting more bang for the buck from the defensive side of the ball right now.

Jason La Canfora: All of the defensive coaches play a key role in those decisions. They work with Vinny and the scouts to indentify the kind of players they are looking for. It is also no coincidence how many of the defensive players worked for members of this staff in the past - Harris, Daniels, Holdman off the top of my head.

Arlington, Va: Why don't the 'Skins keep Novak once Hall gets back. Novak could be responsible for kick-offs and Hall can just worry about FGs. That way, Hall limits the chances of getting injured, and if he does get injured we could avoid an Akers situation. Keep up the good work with the 'Skins! Beat the Seahawks!

Jason La Canfora: They do not feel like they can afford to carry and dress two kickers and split the duties on game day. They want one guy to do both and my guess is that if Hall does not make a major step in the next week and Novak performs well against the Seahawks, they may opt for IR. Just my hunch.

Leesburg, Va.: Jason,

Do you have any insight into the atmosphere in the locker room as a result of Ramsey's benching? Has he been all but forgotten?

Thanks

Jason La Canfora: They are 2-0 and feeling good. Without those two bombs in Dallas it may have become a major issue, but it certainly is not now. It's a long season, though. Stay tuned.

Washington, D.C.: Do you think Brunell will step up and consistently do the kind of things to win games, as he did against Dallas?

Jason La Canfora: I don't think it's fair to expect two long TD passes every week. I just don't think they have the kind of offense to do that, and you generally are playing from behind anyway when you resort to those kinds of measures.

Ideally, this is a ball-control offense that eats up the clock, takes care of the football, makes life easier on the Skins D and hits the occasional long ball to keep people honest.

Washington, D.C.: What are the chances of a Patrick Ramsey for Joey Harrington trade?

Jason La Canfora: I would say pretty bleak.

Washington, D.C.: Jason, I read on the NFL "rumor" Web sites even before the season that Lavar is a prime candidate to be cut after this year. Now that he isn't playing, to me that becomes an even more likely scenario. Is there any reason to think that, unless he returns to the field as dominant player, Lavar will be back next year?

Jason La Canfora: The Redskins could have some very difficuly decisions to make in the offseason. He has a $12 million cap number next season and how LaVar and the defense perform in these next few months could have a lot to say about any moves the Skins make. Cutting him would require a significant cap hit, but is hardly unprecedented around here.

It would be jumping the gun to make a call on that now, because in the end it will be the performances on the field over time that determine it.

He is being worked in slowly and this will all come out in the wash.

Atlanta, GA.-skins fan: Jason,

Don't you think its about time the skins get Clinton off and rolling? I mean they established him against the Bears(a really good defense) and they haven't tried to establish him since. I think the Seattle defense can be run against, especially with the talent on our offensive line. That should open up some deep attempts to Santana and Patten....do you concur??Oh, and GO BRAVES!!!!!Down with the SAAAAX!!

Jason La Canfora: Down with the Saaaax? By that do you mean former Yankee Steve Sax? I never liked him, either.

They need to get the running game going week to week and really want to. When they fall behind, even a little, I think the game plan sometiems changes too much, but given how weak this offense has been, I understand that as well.

I really believe scoring early and playing with the lead will be two things that make the running game as healthy as it can be. Without that, I think it may continue to come in fits and starts.

McLean, Va.: Jason,

Alexander had 4-TDs last week in Seattle's win. Can the Redskins D step up and contain the guy or will he have a field day?

Jason La Canfora: I see him going for 6 or 7 TDs this weekend and reinventing the NFL celebration dance ... Just kidding.

Skins have the best run defense going in my mind, and this may be their best test yet over the 18 games under Gregg Williams.

The biggest problem with Seattle is its balance - a precision West Coast passing game to go along with a power runner who also has the explosiveness to make things happen in the open field (Alexander has a run of at least 17 yards in all 3 games this season).

Classic matchup.

I don't see anyone getting 4 rushing TDs in a game against the Skins D - this ain't no Arizona cakewalk here - but limiting Shaun's big runs and containing him in the red zone could end up deciding the ballgame.

Coconut Creek, Fla.: Jason,

The Skins took their increasingly distasteful conflict with The Post to another level when they posted George Solomon's "bush league" comments regarding the FedEx crowd noise in week 1 on their Web site. The reaction there was, predictably, like tossing chum into a shark tank.

Still – I could not disagree more with George. The three false start penalties were awesome. And I can’t remember seeing a penalty called for crowd noise since the Kingdome in the 80’s. Actually, the rule ITSELF, if it's even still on the books, is bush league – the NFL would be the "No Fun League" for real.

Do you know if George is planning to explain/expand on his comments? Because I'd bet that most sports fans think he’s waaaay out there on this one.

Jason La Canfora: I'm sure I'll see George at the game Sunday, and will definitely ask him about it. I thought that Week 1 was by far the best I have ever seen the FedEx crowd and it was a real home field advantage for a change. Great symmetry of fans and defense, but that's just my $.02.

As for any Skins conflict with The Post, you'd have to talk to the ghost of Andyman about that one.

Washington, D.C.: With Harris being listed as "questionable", I have three questions. First, what are the chances that he will play and be effective? Secondly, could this be a blessing in disguise as Rogers could be a shutdown corner in waiting? Lastly, how much weaker does the Redskins defense become should Rogers have to fill in for Harris? Thanks!

Jason La Canfora: I would be pretty surprised if Harris plays this weekend, but we'll know more in a few hours. I think Carlos will play a lot, and this will be a big test. I am sure he will be a target when he is out there, and we'll have to see how he holds up.

Silver Spring, Md.: Do you think the Jets are D-O-N-E?

Jason La Canfora: If they L-O-S-E to the Ravens Sunday, then I say put a fork in 'em.

Suitland, Md: Are you saying that if the Jets had offered a first-round pick or Abraham for Ramsey that the 'Skins would have still said no?

Jason La Canfora: I am saying that there is no way the Jets are or were willing to offer that for Ramsey, and has already contacted and essentailly signed Vinny even before they called the Skins and told them as much.

Bend, Ore.: Is the decision to keep only 4 CB going to cost the Skins this week? If Harris can't play, Ade Jimoh and his turnstyle defense will likely see a lot of playing time against the Hawks.

Jason La Canfora: I could see them use Stoutmire in the slot as the nickel rather than Ade. Maybe PAtterson gets activated from the practice squad as well.

Oakton, Va.: Jason,

Some sports writers where predicting that the Skins would be as bad as 1-15 this year. Now that they are one of only two undefeated teams in the NFC, were the doomsayers wrong or was Dallas a fluke and they should be 1-1 on their way to 1-15?

Jason La Canfora: I think anyone who picked any team in the NFL to go 1-15 in this day and age is smoking crack. Evern the dregs win 4 games or so usually.

Saying all that, I think a lot people believe the Skins still have a lot to prove, and the players and coaches have said as much, too.

Nashville, Tenn.: Great article on the D-line the other day Jason...Here is the question I asked the fellas at HailRedskins.com though. Even with the lack of rush from the ends don't you think this is what makes that Defense so successful? In my opinion its kind of like starting 4 Defensive Tackles and leaves our Awesome linebackers to make plays all over.

Jason La Canfora: Thanks - and sorry about the delay in this response. Got knocked off the dang internet.

I think against teams like Seattle in particular, they need to get the D line into the backfield and disrupt. The feeling is that too much is being put on the coverage guys right now and they need to nip that in the bud. Again, not saying they need a bunch of guys trying to be Mike Strahan, and it's not so much about sacks as it is about making QBs uncomfortable and pressuring the offense.

Nome, Alaska: Hey Jason, I know it's early in the season, but let's get right down to it: Playoffs, or no?

Jason La Canfora: Playoffs? Did you say playoffs? Playoffs? You're asking me about the playoffs?

God, dontcha wish Jim Mora was still doing post-game press conferences. I think he should get a format every Sunday. Who cares if he's not coaching anymore.

I think it's still a little early. Get back to me after this next three-game stretch and I promise to have a better answer.

Bethesda, Md.: Jason -- awhile back, sports pundits were saying that '06 would be the year that the Skins' rash spendng would finally cause their salary cap to implode. Still true, or has the situation stablized?

Jason La Canfora: Remains to be seen. Talked to some cap people about it this week. Feb will be a big month to see how many of those big roster bonuses get convered to signing bonuses, and what tough decisions await. We've already touched on LaVar, and they may have to figure some things out with Brunell as well. No doubt, as it stands not they have a lot of money devoted to the 2006 cap and may have to make some touch cuts.

Rockville, Md.: 2-0 is so much fun, should we enjoy while we can or will we still have this euphoric feeling through DC on Monday morning?

Jason La Canfora: I say party like it's 1999, or, actually, how about like it's 1991? If you can't enjoy a start like this, what's the fun in being a fan?

Alexandria, Va.: Can the Redskins really rely on the cherry-picking prayers of Mark Brunell or do you think they eventually need to look into get a solid QB for the future? (i.e., Carson Palmer) How can they open up their offense a little more to get Portis some room off the tackles? What happens this weekend when they finally face an opponent with a true run game?

Jason La Canfora: The QB of the future is the tall dude with the hat on holding the clipboard every Sunday. Name is Jason Campbell, and they have a lot invested in him becoming a real player in the league. If not, they may have blown up a few drafts for nothing.

Fairfax, Va.: I know the Redskins were committed to opening up the passing game hoping for more big plays down the field. However, I'm concerned how this can be accomplished with only 4 WR's on the active roster. Everyone talks about Taylor Jacobs and his potential, but he is injury prone. If he goes down, that will only leave them with 3 WR's. Are they potentially looking for other receivers to sign anytime soon? Could Kevin Dyson be brought back?

Jason La Canfora: I don't see Dyson coming back. Was a little surprised nothing happened with Andre Davis this week. Never heard back from his agent and from what I gather there was not a lot of interest there.

Fairfax, Va.: Could you ever forsee the NFL switching to 8 teams from each conferecne making the playoffs like the NBA? With 32 teams in the NFL, I think it would be more exciting with half the teams making it to the playoffs. We all know the NFL will do anything to make more money and having more playoff games would generate a lot more interest. Plus, it gives the Redskins a better shot at making the post-season!

Jason La Canfora: What about this - a 32-team, winner-take-all extravaganza. Seed teams based on last year's performance and do it NCAA-hoops style. Kind of like wrestlemania. Could do it all in six weeks, and then us sports writing schlubs would get a long offseason.

Just a thought.

Arlington, Va.: Why do Dale Lindsey and Gregg Williams dislike LaVar so much? It's obvious.

Jason La Canfora: I wish I could tell you, but you're not in the circle of trust.

Seriously, I think it's a matter of breaking him in slowly, seeing exactly how he best fits in the system, watching the knee closely to guard against a major setback and evaluating Holdman as well.

It's kind of shocking to me but maybe I am naive. Skins are 2-0 and showing promise for the first time in forever, defense is playing great again and everyone is fretting over LaVargate.

Give it a few weeks to sort out. If he still says he's heatlhy and isn't playing in Week 8, then maybe the writing is on the wall. And with that contract and all that has gone on, nobody is saying he is absolutely a lifer here, but let's give it a little time, people. Please, just say no to conspiracy theories on this one for a few weeks and we'll all continue to monitor it.

Silver Spring, Md.: Can I get your thoughts on the Burger King commercials where the king runs for touchdowns?

Jason La Canfora: Dude is a prime-time player. Reads the QB well, has a great break on the ball and knows how the throw down in the end zone. All hail the king! Wonder what his cap number is? Could always use a ballhawking DB.

Charlotte, N.C.: I know it's early, but does L.Coles not have a little egg on his face after three pretty non-productive games (one where he had 1 catch for 10 yards) and the guy we got in the trade for him (Moss) is averaging over 20 yards a catch with 2 fantastic td catches?

Jason La Canfora: LC is not exactly lighting it up, but does have one TD. I think you have to look at the whole disaster there. Pennington has clearly been hurt all 3 games, had all the fumbles in Week 1 and now Bollinger is the QB. Not a great recipe for WR success, but certainly not the start he wanted, either.

So far, though, have to give the Skins props on that trade. Turned a lot of heads and ate up a lot of cap space (the trade and Moss signing), but man, they have a deep threat now, eh?

Washington, D.C.: Jason, great coverage. How's Taylor Jacobs? Is he 100 percent and will he be a factor in the game plan for Seattle?

Jason La Canfora: My man Taylor is coming along. Was more active late in the Dallas game and the bye came at a good time for him. I think he'll get more balls thrown his way this weekend and could form a solid deep compliment to Moss. But still has a lot to prove, and needs to become a factor from week to week.

Fairfax, Va.: Will Clinton Portis gain 1500 yards this year? And would 10 TD's for him be overly optimistic in this offense? We need to see him in the endzone!!

Jason La Canfora: I smell a fantasy football trade here.

I think he can still be a quality yardage back and as long as he's healthy he'll get plenty of carries over the long haul, but admit I'm still not sold on the red-zone offense yet. Definite work in progress.

Northern Virginia: I thought the Redskins won the superbowl after the game with Dallas.

Jason La Canfora: What did I miss? Did somebody come out and say, "I'm going to Disney World?"

Damn deadlines. I miss all the good stuff.

Jason La Canfora: Well, everyone, looks like my time is up. Thanks as always for the great questions and wish I could have got to them all. My new partner on the beat here, Len Shapiro, will do next week's chat and we'll rotate after that. Len is The Man when it comes to the NFL, is ubber-respected around the league and an all around great guy. I'm sure you'll love chatting with him.

If anyone has any post-chat, extra-question homework for me - or two extra tix to the Pixies show in Baltimore tonight - you can always email me at lacanforaj@washpost.com

Have a great weekend and enjoy the game.

Cheers.

I think the guy posting the question is a riot.

The Redskins took "their" increasingly distasteful conflict with the Redskins to a new low by posting words written by a Post staff writer on their web site. Anyone see the irony there? Apparently the Post writing any dumb thing it wants doesn't feed into the one-sided conflict at all, but, damn the Redskins for mentioning it.

Sometimes I wonder why people are so dumb.

As for Jason with the reference, it is certainly interesting. I suspect it stems mostly from another message board than from this one however.

Speaking of chats, just stumbled across this little gem while reading ESPN's chat with "expert" Jeremy Green --

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=9384

To the Hater: You're such a hater. Skins are going to shock the league by winning the NFC East. 5-2 over their last seven games. Defense can't be scored on and offense will come around. Suck it, Green, suck it long and hard.

SportsNation : (4:45 PM ET ) Going t o come along how? are they going to find a QB in the next 13 weeks.

Speaking of chats, just stumbled across this little gem while reading ESPN's chat with "expert" Jeremy Green --

To the Hater: You're such a hater. Skins are going to shock the league by winning the NFC East. 5-2 over their last seven games. Defense can't be scored on and offense will come around. Suck it, Green, suck it long and hard.

SportsNation : (4:45 PM ET ) Going t o come along how? are they going to find a QB in the next 13 weeks.

:laugh: Reminds me of Sean Connery (aka Darryl Hammond) on a Jeopardy skit when he told Trebeck to suck it, suck it long, suck it hard!

'To The Hater'.. embarassing redskins fans since 2005

The other part of that is he AGREES with your take on how silly a comment it was, yet somehow still feels he needs to bash the Skins in the process.

Sometimes, I hate Washington fans.

Yep.

He agrees the comment was silly. He agrees the fans won't like it. But, the Redskins are messed up for paying any attention to it. It must be good to be this blissfully stupid.

I just saw this too! This is the funniest thing ever!

Which one of you guys wrote this?

come on, identify yourself

Carter 23 has the coolest sig pic ever. Ever.

I concur. That is the coolest sig pic EVER. The only thing that would make it cooler is if it was the original Tecmo Bowl (with the Posse-esque endzone celebration) and he had a clip of the touchdown music playing in the background.

Hats off to ya, Carter23! :notworthy

:laugh: Reminds me of Sean Connery (aka Darryl Hammond) on a Jeopardy skit when he told Trebeck to suck it, suck it long, suck it hard!

:rotflmao:

Or when the answer to final jeopardy was 5, and he wrote "V" (roman numeral 5). And Trebek was like, wow, you got one right! How much did you wager? And the V turned into the K in Suck it Trebek....:laugh:

Let's be real here for a minute - this board is quick to jump up and down and scream bloody murder when Len Pasta-belly or Dr. Z rag on the 'Skins.

Knowing how most of you feel about Nunyo, how about a little love for LaCanfora for actually saying some good things, sounding like he knows what he's talking about and coming across as a good guy.

For once no one should have anything to get their panties all bunched up over.

Let's be real here for a minute - this board is quick to jump up and down and scream bloody murder when Len Pasta-belly or Dr. Z rag on the 'Skins.

Knowing how most of you feel about Nunyo, how about a little love for LaCanfora for actually saying some good things, sounding like he knows what he's talking about and coming across as a good guy.

BLASPHEMER!!!

:banhim:

;)

I like Jason a lot. I've never seen the crazy stuff out of him you saw routinely out of Nunyo. Though, I was disappointed he staked out Ramsey's house. In general though, the taint of the Post hasn't detroyed him yet :).

Archived