Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs Chat -- COMPLETED

Art

Look - I love Gibbs. He's was/is the greatest thing to happen to DC football. But what a joke. Prior to this, the thread on taking questions, 95% of it was about Ramsey. Did he really give him every chance? Did he really handle it the best way? Why not just trade him. etc...etc...

The only QB question he took was a softball "Gee- Mark is throwing a lot better this year..."

How can you tell anyway? All he thorws are screen passes.

I see some on here are mad because Art did not get into the mix with the QB situation. Well let me say I would have been ticked off has Art tried to nail Gibbs down on this issue. That is the job of a beat reporter who is looking for a quick front page quote. Art is asking what you or I would ask if we were talking to Gibbs.

I doubt seriously you would have had the will to drag Gibbs through the dirt on this issue. Live with it fellas, the only way we as fans are going to get an answer worth listening to regarding Ramsey vs. Brunell is to watch the season progress.

Soon enough we ALL will have the necessary answers to the QB situation in Washington. All you would have gotten from Gibbs would have been canned responses and probably shortened the other questions.

Good job Art!!! :applause:

To actually talk to Coach Gibbs and not even bring up the QB issue...baffling?

I understand that he probably would not be very forthcoming with any new information, but you got to take a shot. What's the use of all this access if we can't ask the most pressing issue of the day.

I really don't want to seem overly critical, because I understand that time is limited and peppering Coach Gibbs with questions about the QB issue could have possibly resulted in an even shorter interview, but the questions posed, top to bottom, were rather soft. Not a single question that seemed remotely challenging. The man is a head coach in the NFL, I think he can handle something a little more difficult.

I will say this, Coach Gibbs definately plays it close to the vest. Almost everything he said has been available elsewhere in print.

Other than the questions about the quarterback -- most of which were already answered this week -- there really wasn't a whole lot controversial or even "hard" in here. The "hardest" question seemed to be the NASCAR one where he seemed a little apologetic that he had to explain how much of a race he might watch so no one would think he wasn't totally into football.

To be honest, I wanted -- once I decided to avoid the QB questions -- to have a nice, light, almost fun chat. My hope is it will pay dividends in subsequent chats we might have, especially in the offseason.

I was much softer with Gibbs than I was with Snyder given my question selection, no question. Though this was due to avoiding one big, ugly topic :). I think we have generally done a pretty good job of asking tougher questions from the community input. This, though, is unquestionably the softest. Portis may top it next week, especially if we win :).

Don't get me wrong... it's GREAT to have Coach Gibbs on here... I just think we could do a little more with the opportunity next time. He knows we're all fans, and if we're asking tough questions, I'm sure he'll respect that.

With only 19 questions why ask a question from a member about playing special teams?

I thought it was amusing. So did Gibbs. He got his biggest cackle out of that :). And sometimes that can lead to a good talk about special teams. I try to mix an off-topic or question hoping to get a laugh with others. Just because I think that makes it more personal and fun.

I think you did a great job Art. Lets face it, all we were gonna hear from Gibbs is "I had a gut feeling there" and "I want someone to establish himself as our QB". I agree also Art that had we of asked about the situation he'd get that "here we go again" feeling and would look at doing this again in the future as a chore. I for one am just so happy that we have a HOF coach and NFL legend answering our questions, its just awesome. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this, it really paid off

The argument about if I was talking to Gibbs I wouldn't ask him a tough question about QB, well - Thats just BS. Looks - Gibbs is like a God- but he is NOT god. So yes - If I was in a converstation with him, or meeting him for the first time, or SITTING HIM DOWN TO CHAT WITH, then yes - I would ask him.

Not rudely. Not forecfully. But this was suppose to be a "Chat" right? Suppose to be where we, the fans, submit questions right? MOST of the questions submitted were about the QB. This was not a "Chat". This was a President Bush "Townhall meeting". Check all questions, stay away from anything someone might disagree with, and ignore and bad feelings.

What are you people looking for him to say? "Well, Ramsey really sucks, can't make good decisions, so we're going with Brunell"? Riiiiigggghhhhhttttt...

Art, I might have done a few things slightly differently, but overall, a terrific job. Very respectful, courteous, and understanding of the fact that this is completely a voluntary chat on his part. If we upset him, maybe he won't come back for a while, hmmm?

Everybody who is jumping on Art, lay off. Again, I might have done things slightly different, but all in all, Art did a good job. And as for the idea that "I WOULD have asked him..." yeah right. Sure you would have.

The argument about if I was talking to Gibbs I wouldn't ask him a tough question about QB, well - Thats just BS. Looks - Gibbs is like a God- but he is NOT god. So yes - If I was in a converstation with him, or meeting him for the first time, or SITTING HIM DOWN TO CHAT WITH, then yes - I would ask him.

Not rudely. Not forecfully. But this was suppose to be a "Chat" right? Suppose to be where we, the fans, submit questions right? MOST of the questions submitted were about the QB. This was not a "Chat". This was a President Bush "Townhall meeting". Check all questions, stay away from anything someone might disagree with, and ignore and bad feelings.

Again, it had much less to do with "bad feelings" than you seem to think. This had to do with a choice I had to make based on how I thought it should be done. I felt the chat should be all QB or no QB. I didn't really think it should be about some QB, perfunctory question or two, then other stuff. That's what I wanted to avoid because I thought we'd get nothing but the same answers we've already had to the questions.

Without going deeply into it, there's really no point since he just gave the answers on Wednesday of this week. So, I chose to do nothing with it, figuring at least I'd get some thorough answers we might not have just heard or seen. I understand your point of worry, but, I think it's misplaced in this way.

If you think the questions should have been asked to get more answers, that wasn't going to happen no matter how many questions I asked. If you think those questions should have been asked becasue you think Gibbs should know some fans are angry at him, well, that wasn't going to happen, because, personally, I find those people to be idiots :).

There are some -- myself included -- who dread the move to Brunell and disagree with the quick hook on Ramsey without getting into the explosive language of some. I wasn't going to ask questions that were more to express individual displeasure than to get answers. Do you think I should have?

Anyone who talks of Gibbs being anything like a god needs to get their head checked! Gibbs is clearly a coach who has lost sight of things. Pennington, Hasselback, Delhomme, Mcnair, Culpepper, Plummer, Favre, McNabb & Vick all had worse week 1 starts in terms of turnovers (look it up), yet their coaches show some spine and stick with them. Ramsey has never been given a fair shake with Gibbs at the helm. In fact all Gibbs has ever done for Ramsey is repeatedly crush his confidence.

I was much softer with Gibbs than I was with Snyder given my question selection, no question. Though this was due to avoiding one big, ugly topic :). I think we have generally done a pretty good job of asking tougher questions from the community input. This, though, is unquestionably the softest. Portis may top it next week, especially if we win :).

Glad you said that, Art. It was my perception, and it seemed to be short as well as superficial, and I don't mean that as a complaint. I'm grateful for what the site here is offering in new features and unprecedented access. I understand you guys will be trying to adjust and evolve into this as a process in the making. I also think guys who get their questions included 2 for 2 (LiveStrong ;) ) are understandably more forgiving than the guys who'd like it a little more in-the-trenches-like.

I can also relate to your trepidation in self-censorship, since you know that's what it was, but you made the decision for the greater good, whether right or wrong in the majority of the forum member's eyes. Just like with coach Gibbs, at some point even after listenting to all the input, the people at the top have to make a decision and accept the heat or the praise evenly. I look forward to the growth and maturation of these "chat" experiences. Again, thanks and good work and, oh yeah, I'm extremely jealous. :helmet:

Anyone who talks of Gibbs being anything like a god needs to get their head checked! Gibbs is clearly a coach who has lost sight of things. Pennington, Hasselback, Delhomme, Mcnair, Culpepper, Plummer, Favre, McNabb & Vick all had worse week 1 starts in terms of turnovers (look it up), yet their coaches show some spine and stick with them. Ramsey has never been given a fair shake with Gibbs at the helm. In fact all Gibbs has ever done for Ramsey is repeatedly crush his confidence.

Are you sure it's Gibbs who lost sight of things, or, perhaps you demonstrate limited intelligence when attempting to compare Ramsey to ANY of the QBs you attempt to compare him to. Heck, even Plummer has shown SOMETHING in this league, though he's your closest comparison.

If Ramsey had done in the NFL what any of those other QBs have done (Plummer being the closest to not falling into this category) you'd stick with him despite a bad day too. But, that's not what Ramsey has EVER been. Suggesting Gibbs should have the vision to see him as those QBs are seen by their coaches would lend itself to the thought we are lucky Gibbs is in charge and you're not.

Many of us ol...um, more experienced guys who remember Joe from the first go-round already know he's not a guy who speaks with controversey or goes into the excrutiating detail we'd all love to hear. That's just the way he is.

Those of us who have follwed him closely since 1981 could probably predict his answers to most of these questions. He is always VERY prepared with certain answers as you've seen within this chat. Much of it we've heard before. That's simply the way he feels about things. Why does he feel the way he does about certain things? You'll probably have to wait for the book. Even then, I don't think we'll get much detail. Joe doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve. I know it's what we crave but it's not something you'll ever get unless you spend as much time with him as his family and players do.

Those are very good points, Jimbo, and that's how I remember Joe. In fact, as close to the vest as he is now, I think he's actually more open and more communicative than before. He's mellowed :laugh:

Archived