Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs Chat -- COMPLETED

Art

All,

Thanks to Coach Gibbs and the team for allowing us to get our (some at least) questions answered. As discussed, I chose to avoid the issue at QB for reasons expressed in the following thread:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114510

This is not a perfect decision on my part, I know. I was very pleased with how it went given what we did get answered. I apologize to all of you who wish more detail on the QB situation could have been explored. Please contact me directly if you are upset with my decision or contribute it to the thread linked above.

Coach Gibbs has effectively answered many of the questions we could put to him on the QB issue. Please see the following thread for some of those answers:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114369

You may also visit Redskins.com for the press conference of the announcement.

Coach Joe Gibbs -- Sept. 16, 2005

From Sweet Sassy Molassy

I have a very simple question for you. Our team has lost 14 of 15 games to the Cowboys. Understanding how free agency tends to disrupt the loyalty that some players have, do you feel as if the players feel the same disdain that the fans and coaches feel for such a long-standing rival as the Cowboys? I mean, do they take it with the same pain and anguish that we have every time we lose to these guys? I know it always hurts to lose, but losing to the Cowboys is like excruciating pain.

Joe Gibbs

Definitely it’s a real rivalry. The only thing I’ve said is that we haven’t done our part in holding up the rivalry...We need to get back to where we can beat the Cowboys at some point. I don’t know when that’s going to be. We’re going to work hard towards that and then we can have a good rivalry when we can come back and win some games against them.

From JBooma

What would you say is the biggest difference in the players of today compared to players from your previous coaching years?

Joe Gibbs

I think human nature is pretty much the same. I think the same things motivate us. I’ve said I think the only difference would be that sometimes today, the money has been paid to the players in advance, so they have, in essence, guaranteed money. Now it doesn’t affect most guys but it would have some effect on some. But I think in general, when you talk about people, people are the same. Its been down through history, the same things motivate us, the same things discourage us, and so I really feel like human nature stays the same.

From Flexxskins

I was wondering if you had it to do all over again, would you have stayed a while longer as Head Coach of the Redskins?

Joe Gibbs

No, I think it was the right timing for me. I had a son, Coy, who was playing college football. I missed most of the games with my first son and I just felt like there were a lot of things that had piled up kind of in my life and I felt like if I was to see Coy play and do some other things I wanted to do, I needed to step out at that time. I feel very good about that decision. I think it was the right time for me and I feel good about that one.

From Voice of Reason

Brunell appeared to have much greater zip on his throws this preseason than he did at any point last year. Was he still recovering from the elbow injury he had in Jacksonville, and is he fully healed this year?

Joe Gibbs

Last year the injury that he had was his hamstring, which was against the Giants in the second game last year. You know, if you can’t step and throw, with your legs, you throw a lot with your legs, you step and really fire it and put a lot of pressure on your legs. I think that Mark was beat up from the Giants game, which was the second game of the year at home. If everybody remembers, he pulled his hamstring real bad there, it was black and blue – I gave him no chance to play the next week. But to his credit, he’s such a competitor, he went back out and played anyway. It was probably not the smartest thing to do. So I’d say his leg injury is what cost him last year, not being stronger than what he was.

From Goonery

Is it your wish that Gregg Williams be the person to succeed you as coach of the Redskins when you decide to retire?

Joe Gibbs

I think that decision will be up to Dan. But certainly you know it would be a high recommendation on my part. I don’t think anyone could’ve done much better with the defense than Gregg did last year. We have a lot of our coaches, I think, have head coaching potential that are on our coaching staff and so I’m going to try and support them any way I can. But one thing is I don’t want them to leave. We were able to hold them together last year, and hopefully in the future we’ll be able to do that too.

From sonsofwashington

How close do you feel the team you have now is to being successful (Super Bowl) given your current offensive and defensive strategies?

Joe Gibbs

I think [laughing] ... Super Bowl’s are so hard to get. I would say that we struggled last season. The good thing about the NFL you don’t know what’s going to happen. It’s from one year to the next, you could see some real surprises one way or the other. What I always tell everybody is that my goal is to continually try and build, get the right people together and get our team to play hard.

From portissizzle

Would you please give us you thoughts on the following quote by Marv Levy. "Systems don't win, players do." Do you think you have the players in place to make a run this year?

Joe Gibbs

I sure do like our players. I think we’ve worked hard to getting the right kind of guys. I think we got them. I think we have a good locker room. So, now how talented are we are going to be, how we’re going to play on the field ... (we'll see). But I agree with Marv that you do win with players and our goal here is to add the right kinds of guys to the Redskins.

From Riggins44

At the end of last season, many of the so called experts and talking heads were saying that the game had passed you by. They also said you wouldn’t last the 5 years on your contract. Now, in the Bible it says God doesn’t put anymore on an individual than they can stand. At any point during last year did you feel you made a mistake or regret coming back to the NFL ? Or did you say, “Lord this is enough”!?

Joe Gibbs

I think anytime you make a huge decision like that, you’re involved in something that’s so hard, it’s not going the right way, I think everybody out there can probably sympathize with my emotions. Everybody’s been in something where it’s been real tough. At some point in there, obviously, you have the normal feelings any human being would have, but I do feel like, in the end, when I stop and think about it, I’m in the right place where I’m supposed to be and we’ll just see what that brings.

From LiveStrongSkins

I have a non-stop motor, and a never-say-die attitude. Do you have room for me on Special Teams?

Joe Gibbs

Definitely, we need to put you covering kickoffs! That normally gets rid of guys in a hurry [laughing], I can tell you that, because every kickoff is something very few people want to do. I always laugh when people say that. I think when you stand on the sidelines and you hear them splatter somebody out there you’ll probably change your mind.

From Gridironmike

Can you elaborate on the fact that only one player from your previous stint in Washington has been elected to the Hall of Fame

Joe Gibbs

Yeah, I think it’s a big disappointment. Last year, I tried to do everything I could to help Art -- Art Monk -- because I certainly think he belongs there. A number of our other players, I don’t want to mention them, but I think they deserve consideration. I think we had a great era there. Normally, that’s who’s rewarded, is players that play for great teams over long periods of time and do great things and we had a number of our players, I think, qualify.

From Hailskinz1

Now that you’ve had a chance to use the shotgun, has your mind changed regarding its usability?

Joe Gibbs

You know, we like it. I think we had good experiences with it in the preseason. I think our quarterbacks will be using it in the regular season. I think it has its place in our offense and yeah, I kind of like it.

From SkinsandTerps

What has been the hardest part of coaching in the salary cap era for you?

Joe Gibbs

It’s a little bit of everything really. Salary cap is definitely a part of it…you can only spend so much money. Whereas, when I was here before, as long as Mr. Cooke agreed and we were willing to spend it, we could get it. I’d be in great shape if that was the rules today, but its not. Everybody’s got the same amount of money. But, I also think it’s tough on the field because defenses have changed the way offenses play so there’s a lot going on, on the field…and the point here is that there are a lot of different ways you can get players now. You can get them through free agency, which I like. So some of it you like, some of it you don’t like. But the only way you can get to know something like that is to dive into it and go to work real hard at it, and that’s what we’ve tried to do.

From Griff

I heard Joe Bugel say that on your draft board last year, you had Ben Roethlisberger rated the #1 QB, but you also had Jason rated as high as you had Ben last year?

Joe Gibbs

We had him way up there, I’ll put it that way. I hate to get into comparing him against other people, but we had him way up there. When we took a look on the board at the quarterbacks this year, when we got to Jason I really hadn’t heard a lot about Jason Campbell. I knew who he was and everything, but when we put the films on, he looked very impressive. And we decided we really needed to do some more research. And we did that and we wound up saying that, hey, we felt like he was a top-flight quarterback.

From Jbooma

Have you had any chance to watch any of Tony Stewart’s wins? There’ve been a lot of those this year for your racing team.

Joe Gibbs

I’ve watched the last … when somebody comes in and says “hey, Tony’s leading with 30 or 40 to go,” I’d go out and watch. And he has had a great year. I’m just really proud of JD and the whole management team down there and Tony. I wish we could get our other two cars running like that, but we’re going to hopefully parade Tony through the championship race here at the end of the year and it starts in two weeks.

From Barry Wilburn

Would you consider using Cornelius Griffin as a tight end in the Heavy Jumbo package?

Joe Gibbs

You know, we’ve talked about some of that from time to time. He’s so valuable to us over there, so it makes you a little bit (worried). Obviously we’ve got Mike Sellers. Now if we were to have some injuries that’s something you’d probably talk about. Certainly Cornelius, I think, has played some either tight end or fullback at some point. Of course he volunteers for that. He wants to start, but so far he’s too valuable to us where he is.

From Monkeyskins

When the Redskins win the Super Bowl before your coaching contract is up, will you consider your job done and retire, or will you continue to coach throughout your contract?

Joe Gibbs

[Laughing] Well, I think that would be a dream come true, first of all, lets try and live that one out – winning the Super Bowl. I think for me, I have every intention -- is what I’ve told everybody -- to fulfill that contract. I kind of made a commitment. The second part of that, we need to get back to winning football games. But my commitment right now is I plan on being here.

From Joe Gibbs

Closing statement

Joe Gibbs

Hey guys, we appreciate you all staying hooked up with us! It was kind of fun answering the questions. I get a chance to visit with you all … it’s been fun for me. I hope everybody out there had a great time and thanks for pulling for us!

Hello Coach,

I've been a proud Skins fan since '65, and highly cherish and will never forget the the three superbowl wins, and the winning years you and those teams brought to us fans. Thank you!

It seemed that our strong running game, during those years, was a big part of the sucess of the offensive. It's appears that since then, the team has moved away from this.

Do you see the offence moving back to a strong running attack, or has the NFL deffensive teams changed in a way that would prohibit a dominent running offence?

Dean Collins

All,

Please know that Art already has MANY questions prepared to ask Coach Gibbs, culled from the many previously submitted over the past week. It is unlikely he'll be able to take new ones submitted at this point ...

ES Staff

Hello Coach,

I've been a proud Skins fan since '65, and highly cherish and will never forget the the three superbowl wins, and the winning years you and those teams brought to us fans. Thank you!

It seemed that our strong running game, during those years, was a big part of the sucess of the offensive. It's appears that since then, the team has moved away from this.

Do you see the offence moving back to a strong running attack, or has the NFL deffensive teams changed in a way that would prohibit a dominent running offence?

Dean Collins

Are you serious? :laugh:

All,

Please know that Art already has MANY questions prepared to ask Coach Gibbs, culled from the many previously submitted over the past week. It is unlikely he'll be able to take new ones submitted at this point ...

ES Staff

Why dont people get this ?

:doh:

EDIT: haha, I forgot I even asked a question. Whoo Hoo. :cheers:

So much for the "Live Chat"

Please understand the process.

Today's chat has been formatted just as the one with Mr. Snyder was last week, and subsequent ones will be in the future. Questions are solicited over a period of several days, and the best questions selected from the hundreds submitted. On redskins.com right now, next week's chat with Clinton Portis is already adverstised, and questions for that and other future chats can be submitted HERE

This is how we're doing these chats---we believe it offers the best opportunity to field a broad array of questions and take from them the very best ones.

Thank you for your understanding.

ES Staff

That's it? The biggest QB decision in the past 20 years and we get a "Brunell has zip in the pre-season" question? What a load of crap.

What question would you have asked if you were doing the interview? And what answer would you have expected to receive that would be different than those we've already heard to date?

Just curious...

yeh i was thinking that too, but honestly, gibbs is not gonna come on here and say "you know, i really just don't like ramsey, mark and i have been lovers for 2 years." :laugh:

i thought it was a nice lighthearted interview. now, i'm lookin forward to clinton portis... :D he might comment on the qb situation and those hungry man commercials haha.

That's it? The biggest QB decision in the past 20 years and we get a "Brunell has zip in the pre-season" question? What a load of crap.

I understand your feelings here. Ultimately my decision was based on the fact I didn't think the line of questioning would get us anything more than we had and would have the impact of keeping Coach Gibbs from answering some of the rest. I tried to pick a range of questions, including ONE about Brunell's health and how he's looked, but, I tried not to get into the "controversy".

I regret more having questions about the changes to the offense lower on my list as I'd have loved to have gotten some of those in. We weren't getting any more time though to go that direction unfortunately.

Archived