Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs Chat -- COMPLETED

Art

I'm curious as to when these questions were asked and answered. Was it over a period of days or during a sit down period? Not that it matters, I'm just curious. Some answers he gave made it seem like he was talking today, and others appeared that he was talking two weeks ago (from time references, such as Tony Stewart starting the Championship race in two weeks, when really it's in two days, and references to the upcoming regular season).

I guess I'm just wondering when Joe had time to sit down and answer all of these questions.

Considering that no questions about the QB issue were allowed, maybe for the next Gibbs chat, he can write his own questions and answer them too!

What's with all of the negativism? What hardball question did you submit or would you have asked Gibbs? Do you think the reponse would have been any different than what you've already heard?

I pretty much enjoyed the flow of the chat.

And do you think that any of the above QB's I mentioned above looked like future hall of famers within their first couple of years. Not by any stretch of the means. The point is that they were given the opportunity to learn and grow into the great QB's they are now. So before you start insulting my intelligence, read the comment a little more thouroughly.

I'm curious as to when these questions were asked and answered. Was it over a period of days or during a sit down period? Not that it matters, I'm just curious. Some answers he gave made it seem like he was talking today, and others appeared that he was talking two weeks ago (from time references, such as Tony Stewart starting the Championship race in two weeks, when really it's in two days, and references to the upcoming regular season games).

I guess I'm just wondering when Joe had time to sit down and answer all of these questions.

Good eye :). Given limited time with everyone, we do try to get multiple windows to talk and get a couple of questions in here and there. In order to get the chat to come out without looking bad, we always have a couple of questions we have answered ahead of time that someone has asked in case we need them, so while transcribing is going on we don't make you sit for 10 minutes, and more importantly, we don't keep the interviewee waiting. I'll be asking Washington, Williams and Portis questions this weekend and holding them for the chat. As many as I can get each time we have a window so when we close things down it takes less time and intrudes on their time least.

One day we'll develop software and try to do a chat with with no questions asked until the window of opportunity. That can be hectic so we're not sure that will ever come about. This way we get more questions answered. I'm going to try to pepper Portis with as many questions as I can Monday night. Unless he runs for 300 yards and has everyone around him :).

Unfortunately, I was not able to be here for the chat so I didn't get to ask a question. I just don't understand why we have to tiptoe around the QB issue. As a fan I do want to know why Ramsey is not being given a real fair chance. Gibbs always talks about how he likes guys that will play "tough" or "really fight hard". Ramsey has been the epitomy of that since he came to Washington. I don't think I have to expain why. Does Gibbs expect Ramsey to be playing like a pro bowler already. The guy has had minimal experience in 3 years under two different offensive schemes. Let the guy learn.

And do you think that any of the above QB's I mentioned above looked like future hall of famers within their first couple of years. Not by any stretch of the means. The point is that they were given the opportunity to learn and grow into the great QB's they are now. So before you start insulting my intelligence, read the comment a little more thouroughly.

I read your post and saw you suggest the quarterbacks you listed had bad first games this year but they were stuck with. What part do you think I misunderstood :). I think while it's fine you think Ramsey wasn't given a fair shot, asking the question would have given us the same answer we already got when that was asked, "It was a hard decision. you never want to do something like this. Ramsey didn't agree." Etc.

That's my view on that.

The Synder chat was top-notch. This was totally useless.
:doh:

Lets be completely ungrateful for a HOF coach giving us time to answer a few questions when he's incredibly busy.

Do you have to be so negative? When you host a chat with Joe Gibbs then you can ask whatever questions you want.

:doh:

Lets be completely ungrateful for a HOF coach giving us time to answer a few questions when he's incredibly busy.

Do you have to be so negative? When you host a chat with Joe Gibbs then you can ask whatever questions you want.

I appreciate the backup Mooka.

I do not mind individuals questioning the decision I made. I questioned it myself right up until this morning. I really didn't know how I wanted to do this. It is fair to say of the chats we've done no news came out of this one where others there was something event worthy. I take full blame for that. Now, I know a lot of people support that decision, so that is comforting to me.

But, as a former journalist, I feel I let MYSELF down some here, as much as anyone else feels they were let down. I've got the kahuna and I didn't go for the kill. Here my own status as a fan trumped my instincts and while I can't say I think it was the wrong thing to do, I can say after reading this chat, I'm not PROUD of it, like I was the previous chats we've had.

I would not expect anyone to hold this up as a great piece of work. It's not. I balanced my personal beliefs with everything else and made a call. I will stand here and let anyone who feels it was wrong say so. They aren't wrong to believe it was wrong.

I'll always face the music, good and bad, when people have something to say about some aspect of our increased access and visibility as fans. But, I really do appreciate those of you offering support, even if for many of you I suspect it is more about me and not wanting to see a buddy torn down than it is about agreeing with me :).

Art.

I do not mind individuals questioning the decision I made. I questioned it myself right up until this morning. I really didn't know how I wanted to do this. It is fair to say of the chats we've done no news came out of this one where others there was something event worthy. I take full blame for that. Now, I know a lot of people support that decision, so that is comforting to me.

But, as a former journalist, I feel I let MYSELF down some here, as much as anyone else feels they were let down. I've got the kahuna and I didn't go for the kill. Here my own status as a fan trumped my instincts and while I can't say I think it was the wrong thing to do, I can say after reading this chat, I'm not PROUD of it, like I was the previous chats we've had.

I would not expect anyone to hold this up as a great piece of work. It's not. I balanced my personal beliefs with everything else and made a call. I will stand here and let anyone who feels it was wrong say so. They aren't wrong to believe it was wrong.

I'll always face the music, good and bad, when people have something to say about some aspect of our increased access and visibility as fans. But, I really do appreciate those of you offering support, even if for many of you I suspect it is more about me and not wanting to see a buddy torn down than it is about agreeing with me :).

Art.

I'm gonna disagree with you Art. The Cerrato, Swanson and Snyder chats were enlightening, as will be those with players and other members of the organization, because WE'VE NEVER HEARD FROM THEM BEFORE!

I'd venture that anyone who has watched Gibbs news conferences and interviews on Redskins.com could have answered most of these questions. He is interviewed every day!

Yes, you could have drilled down and gone for it "one more time," but in the end it would have only been to give yourself props for being a "real tough-guy journalist."

Let's not lose sight of the real meaning of this (and other) chats. The head coach came to a fan site and answered questions! For me, that's the payoff.

As Gordon Gekko (Wall Street) said, "Kid you talked your way into my office, now let's see if you're good enough to stay here."

I think we've talked our way in....let's move on to the next step because we're the only ones who have one.

Excellent job, Art. :cheers:

And I'm sorry you and the staff have to take grief from a bunch of ingrates who thought you should treat Gibbs like a hostile witness and do a Perry Mason on him. :)

I think its like you said. Folks aren't expecting any new revelations. They just wanted you to throw thier venom-filled questions at Coach Gibbs so he could see how personally upset they are.

Reading some this stuff the last few days, its obvious the Brunell/Gibbs haters aren't looking for inquires, but want nothing less than a public apology from Coach Gibbs for not doing things the way they want, not playing the players they want him to... and for just generally not running the team the way they run it on thier Madden video games. :)

It's amazing. First, they think they know MORE than Gibbs about how to build a winning team, now they think thy know more than you, a journalist (or is it a former journalist? :) ) or how to conduct an interview. :doh:

Anyway, great job.

And special thanks to Coach Gibbs for taking time out of a VERY BUSY Dallas week to answer some of these questions. :cheers:

Art.

ok ok. Your chat was WEAK! :jk:

I commend you on admitting your mistakes. Some constructive criticism would've been ok, but I don't like people sounding unappreciative.

IMO you shouldn't dwell on it. I know most people around here are die-hard football fans and only want to see Gibbs answer technical football questions. Personally I'm more of a Joe Gibbs fan. I would've been happy with 20 questions about miniature golf as long as Coach Gibbs was answering them.

I'm gonna disagree with you Art. The Cerrato, Swanson and Snyder chats were enlightening, as will be those with players and other members of the organization, because WE'VE NEVER HEARD FROM THEM BEFORE!

I'd venture that anyone who has watched Gibbs news conferences and interviews on Redskins.com could have answered most of these questions. He is interviewed every day!

Yes, you could have drilled down and gone for it "one more time," but in the end it would have only been to give yourself props for being a "real tough-guy journalist."

Let's not lose sight of the real meaning of this (and other) chats. The head coach came to a fan site and answered questions! For me, that's the payoff.

As Gordon Gekko (Wall Street) said, "Kid you talked your way into my office, now let's see if you're good enough to stay here."

I think we've talked our way in....let's move on to the next step because we're the only ones who have one.

This is my thinking too, AM.

All that stuff was being covered by EVERYONE else. The drum beat was there already. I agree with you completely the payoff really is just having it happen. It amazes me to think we're lucky enough to get the opportunity we get from the team on this.

I thought for what I decided to go for and the audience I chose to cater to, this went better than could be expected. I really do appreciate some of those here who understand why I didn't give OTHERS what they wanted :).

Art,

I am with Andyman on this one. Gibbs is a seasoned pro at interviews. He has been asked all the questions before in about as many different ways as they can be asked. He is only going to say what he wants to say, not matter who the journalist is or how hard he is pressed.

I think you did a great job. Don't be hard on yourself over this. I don't think any of us with realistic expectations thought you were going to get anything brand new from one of the most secretive men ever to coach in the NFL.

Wow. A few of you really know how to look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth....

For the record, I thought the chat was AWESOME! Would I have liked to have gotten more in-depth answers, or at least a slightly new tidbit on the QB controversy? Sure! But I agree that any answers would have simply been the same-old, same-old, and therefore the waste of time....

In my dream world, I'd LOVE to know how he'd respond to those who question his integrity regarding this decision. I really think that is the only question (politely and properly phrased, of course!) where we might get something new to chew on for awhile.....

But the fact that you didn't get there doesn't bother me at all. Joe-freakin-Gibbs graced our website with an interview!!!!!!!!

With only 19 questions why ask a question from a member about playing special teams?

(I did see your response about adding some humor Art but still see it as a waste of valuable, limited, time.)

I asked that question and did it to get a good laugh from Gibbs. I'm not hard pressed like other people to find the latest twist in the QB situation. You know why? because nothing I do or you do has anything to do with it. No matter what question someone asks, the fact remains that Brunell is the starting QB for the Redskins. The question was different and goes along with my joking personality.

This is not Larry King trying to bust information out of someones brain. It was a lighthearted chat.

How can people be so ungreatful? It's a Joe Gibbs chat, not a coaches meeting that you had access to. Most of it is about talking to Joe Gibbs the person. If you met him in person and got the chance to talk to him you wouldnt bombard him with 100 questions asking the same thing. He deals with enough pressure as it is. He answered Dallas questions, questions about if the game has passed him by, and it was good to see him laugh at a few questions and answer a question about something that is a big part of his life still... nascar. Everyone wants to play the role of thinking they are the tough guy reporter. We should be glad he even took the time to answer any questions at all. If you want controversy go get a degree in journalism and get hired by the post.

I personally commend Art on a great chat. If I want to read 2,000,000 questions asking the same thing over and over about the QB situation, then im sure I would have no problem finding them in the Washington Post archives.

Because this is not kiss art's A _ _ .com, I think you got a little brown on your nose.

Thank you Art and thank you Coach Gibbs.

Some of you seem to think the coach OWES you an explanation. He doesn't owe you or anyone else ANY THING AT ALL.

He took the time to do this. We OWE him thanks.

Blondie

That's exactly it Blondie.

As I said when Gibbs first got hired... I felt sorry for him. The fans and the media have turned the game into something really ugly.

I am ashamed of a lot of people right now. Many of us wouldn't be Redskins fans today if it weren't for Gibbs.

And if you have any understanding of the man... as Andyman suggested... you'd know Gibbs gives about as canned answers as you possibly get.

I mean, the guy went out of his way to have a practice - last offseason - at a secret location.

And some people think he's going to give you an explanation of why he benched Ramsey over Brunell?

It's just total stupidity.

Because this is not kiss art's A _ _ .com, I think you got a little brown on your nose.

Bleh.

Dean, I think perhaps the point you're missing is that while we do fully understand where you are coming from in having hoped for something more or different from this, there seems to be something of the gold bar syndrome with some of you.

That means you are handed a bar of gold and complain it is too heavy and you'd like it to be made lighter. Obviously, this chat was not going to connect with all people no matter what I did. Yes, I DID pick one of two ways to assure the most divisiveness with the community.

But, in the end, having this chat -- even if you feel it's without merit -- is being handed a gold bar and complaining it's too heavy.

Archived