Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs Chat -- COMPLETED

Art

I understand your feelings here. Ultimately my decision was based on the fact I didn't think the line of questioning would get us anything more than we had and would have the impact of keeping Coach Gibbs from answering some of the rest. I tried to pick a range of questions, including ONE about Brunell's health and how he's looked, but, I tried not to get into the "controversy".

I regret more having questions about the changes to the offense lower on my list as I'd have loved to have gotten some of those in. We weren't getting any more time though to go that direction unfortunately.

But you also didn't stick a question in there with regards to changing things for Dallas..Yeah, we all read about the shotgun, but nothing about the quick snaps and no huddle offenses that Gibbs was famous for as well. I have no more insight as to what they're gonna do this MN then I did before the season. Inquiring minds want to know.

I appreciate the candor and time that Joe gave us to recognize the fans, I can only imagine what a Steve Spurrier session would be like...

Also, on what basis do you rank and pick questions? The focus on Gibbs and his commitment to stay was fairly obvious in the questions. He made a statement that he was honorong that months ago, and I took him for his word then..so why again?

Not complaining per se, because any time with Joe Gibbs is GRAVY...there just isn't enough time "from the horse's mouth" to get a sense and security of where this team is heading..

Fred S.

with only 19 questions, why ask about NASCAR?

I like to get a few questions that are not solidly on topic and can get a laugh. That and LiveStrong were two here. Gas or charcoal would have been a third, but I ran out of time. Remember, I don't know how many questions will be answered. I had 75 prepared had Gibbs just wanted to do nothing but answer a ton :).

But you also didn't stick a question in there with regards to changing things for Dallas..Yeah, we all read about the shotgun, but nothing about the quick snaps and no huddle offenses that Gibbs was famous for as well. I have no more insight as to what they're gonna do this MN then I did before the season. Inquiring minds want to know.

I appreciate the candor and time that Joe gave us to recognize the fans, I can only imagine what a Steve Spurrier session would be like...

Also, on what basis do you rank and pick questions? The focus on Gibbs and his commitment to stay was fairly obvious in the questions. He made a statement that he was honorong that months ago, and I took him for his word then..so why again?

Not complaining per se, because any time with Joe Gibbs is GRAVY...there just isn't enough time "from the horse's mouth" to get a sense and security of where this team is heading..

Fred S.

There's no way Gibbs would reveal anything about Monday's game.

with only 19 questions, why ask about NASCAR?

I was thinking that as well. WTH cares about NASCAR on a Redskins forum website for GAWDs sake? For the record, I never liked Tony Stewart, although he is successful...And confidently Arrogant. Too bad the Redskins don't show that confidence and arrogance at times...

Fred S.

Fred S.

I don't imagine Joe would have told us he was going to run any no-huddle or reverses or half-back options. As paranoid as he is, in season, he's not going to give any tip off as to what he will do against an opponent. I imagine even in the offseason he wouldn't until he's done coaching :).

The committment stuff I thought was interesting in that the first question asked if the failure of the team was causing him to consider leaving, and the second essentially went to whether success by the team would cause him to consider leaving.

I just thought that was an interesting marriage for those two.

Umm... this is nice and all... but does anyone else feel like these chats are just full of softball questions that get the same "stock" answers that we've already heard?

I would suggest that if you're not going to ask something controversial, and if the subjects interviewed aren't going to reveal anything new, then we need to come up with questions that are a little more different and creative, so at least we can learn something we haven't already seen or heard in the Washington Post or on ESPN.

I was thinking that as well. WTH cares about NASCAR on a Redskins forum website for GAWDs sake? For the record, I never liked Tony Stewart, although he is successful...And confidently Arrogant. Too bad the Redskins don't show that confidence and arrogance at times...

Fred S.

How can people be so ungreatful? It's a Joe Gibbs chat, not a coaches meeting that you had access to. Most of it is about talking to Joe Gibbs the person. If you met him in person and got the chance to talk to him you wouldnt bombard him with 100 questions asking the same thing. He deals with enough pressure as it is. He answered Dallas questions, questions about if the game has passed him by, and it was good to see him laugh at a few questions and answer a question about something that is a big part of his life still... nascar. Everyone wants to play the role of thinking they are the tough guy reporter. We should be glad he even took the time to answer any questions at all. If you want controversy go get a degree in journalism and get hired by the post.

I personally commend Art on a great chat. If I want to read 2,000,000 questions asking the same thing over and over about the QB situation, then im sure I would have no problem finding them in the Washington Post archives.

I don't imagine Joe would have told us he was going to run any no-huddle or reverses or half-back options. As paranoid as he is, in season, he's not going to give any tip off as to what he will do against an opponent. I imagine even in the offseason he wouldn't until he's done coaching :).

The committment stuff I thought was interesting in that the first question asked if the failure of the team was causing him to consider leaving, and the second essentially went to whether success by the team would cause him to consider leaving.

I just thought that was an interesting marriage for those two.

Oh come on..Why not? IT gives Dallas one more thing they have to worry about. CUHRYST. In Gibbs era#1, we told everybody we were gonna run Riggins down their throat, and we did. If Gibbs is that paranoid, then he HAS NOT acclimated himself to today's NFL. Every Team has the access to every game film, every game stat. Very rarely are there true surprises...Today's NFL is about disguise, deceipt and performance...someone tell me why the Beagles got McCants? Not just to play I'm sure, but to SING LIKE a SONGBIRD.

ANd we're supposed to accept that Gibbs ran a vanilla based offense this pre-season so as to not allow any plays to be advertised? Did you WATCH the game against the Bears? Besides STaylor as the redzone jump ball, everything I saw was suspiciously LIKE pre-season on offense. Saying you're gonna do something in the game will just make Dallas spread themselves trying to focus on everything...doesn't mean you're gonna do it. You'll never convince me that JGibbs will EVER approach the paranoia of say, George Allen!

Let's hope that paranoia=A WIN Monday night.

Fred S.

Oh come on..Why not? IT gives Dallas one more thing they have to worry about. CUHRYST. In Gibbs era#1, we told everybody we were gonna run Riggins down their throat, and we did. If Gibbs is that paranoid, then he HAS NOT acclimated himself to today's NFL. Every Team has the access to every game film, every game stat. Very rarely are there true surprises...Today's NFL is about disguise, deceipt and performance...someone tell me why the Beagles got McCants? Not just to play I'm sure, but to SING LIKE a SONGBIRD.

ANd we're supposed to accept that Gibbs ran a vanilla based offense this pre-season so as to not allow any plays to be advertised? Did you WATCH the game against the Bears? Besides STaylor as the redzone jump ball, everything I saw was suspiciously LIKE pre-season on offense. Saying you're gonna do something in the game will just make Dallas spread themselves trying to focus on everything...doesn't mean you're gonna do it. You'll never convince me that JGibbs will EVER approach the paranoia of say, George Allen!

Let's hope that paranoia=A WIN Monday night.

Fred S.

Different times call for different measures. The game back then wasnt the Blitz heavy scheme that it is now. He doesnt have to reveal anything to anyone on this board. He is 1-0 this season and thats all that matters. Against a very opportune defense like the Bears, it's a safe bet to say alot of teams playcalling would tighten up. After all, they are the ones that study the game hours on end. Us Monday morning QB's know nothing and it makes no sense to question a coach whos formula for success have proven true in more then just football.

There's no way Gibbs would reveal anything about Monday's game.

I wasn't asking for Gibbs to say " We're gonna run a Z4-Square-In-Back-double-set-reverse-Yopen-on4". If we placate to the paranoia we're doomed. There's such a thing as showing confidence in your convictions. By perhaps stating: " We may run a trick or two, a no huddle here or there, or a play I've been working on since my first retirement", it may give cause for Parcelli &Co. to wonder what Gibbs has up his sleeve. Parcells has been known to obsess too ya know...feeding him more things to worry about could cause him some problems as well... Just food for thought.

Except for the defense, I just have no sense of confidence from the offense, or the coaching staff. At least humor us Joe. HA HA

FS

Umm... this is nice and all... but does anyone else feel like these chats are just full of softball questions that get the same "stock" answers that we've already heard?

I would suggest that if you're not going to ask something controversial, and if the subjects interviewed aren't going to reveal anything new, then we need to come up with questions that are a little more different and creative, so at least we can learn something we haven't already seen or heard in the Washington Post or on ESPN.

I was much softer with Gibbs than I was with Snyder given my question selection, no question. Though this was due to avoiding one big, ugly topic :). I think we have generally done a pretty good job of asking tougher questions from the community input. This, though, is unquestionably the softest. Portis may top it next week, especially if we win :).

I found it disappointing that the QB situation wasn't addressed.

Has there been a bigger hot button issue in recent memory??

I'm not saying he should have been peppered with QB questions, but to ignore it completely when it's issue #1 on most of our minds is pretty disappointing.

I respect the decision to dodge the issue with him, but I don't agree with it at all.

You'll never please some people, if I've learned nothing else since I've been a member here, that's it. :( :dallasuck

edit; good job Art, Thanks

I'm not ungrateful. And I could care less now who the 'Skins QB is, thank you. I love Joe Gibbs, and am very appreciative of his time... Hell, even if Joe declined to answer a question about the Dallas game plans, at least he'd know we care. I am pleased about some of the Q&A, I really am. And if I had JOe's undivided time for an hour?..not ONE question related to NASCAR! Although I might ask why did JoeyT throw that Stupid INT in the SBOWL... :mad: HA HA

Gimme a break guys. I'm just trying to get a pulse on where this team is right now, and since we had the Head man on the line, inquiring minds want to know. Besides, Art said it best when he indicated he had TONS of questions, but no more time. C'est la vie!

FS

Many of us ol...um, more experienced guys who remember Joe from the first go-round already know he's not a guy who speaks with controversey or goes into the excrutiating detail we'd all love to hear. That's just the way he is.

Those of us who have follwed him closely since 1981 could probably predict his answers to most of these questions. He is always VERY prepared with certain answers as you've seen within this chat. Much of it we've heard before. That's simply the way he feels about things. Why does he feel the way he does about certain things? You'll probably have to wait for the book. Even then, I don't think we'll get much detail. Joe doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve. I know it's what we crave but it's not something you'll ever get unless you spend as much time with him as his family and players do.

I'm not ungrateful. And I could care less now who the 'Skins QB is, thank you. I love Joe Gibbs, and am very appreciative of his time... Hell, even if Joe declined to answer a question about the Dallas game plans, at least he'd know we care. I am pleased about some of the Q&A, I really am. And if I had JOe's undivided time for an hour?..not ONE question related to NASCAR! Although I might ask why did JoeyT throw that Stupid INT in the SBOWL... :mad: HA HA

Gimme a break guys. I'm just trying to get a pulse on where this team is right now, and since we had the Head man on the line, inquiring minds want to know. Besides, Art said it best when he indicated he had TONS of questions, but no more time. C'est la vie!

FS

I think this is the important thing. I was, frankly, stunned when it was indicated we'd even get this chat. I was very conflicted about whether I even WANTED to do it. It's in season from a coach notoriously dedicated to submarine time :).

I just kept expecting it to get blown off and postponed until, oh, say March :).

I'm just glad to have gotten anything answered given the time of year. To me, that's a really great thing to have even been able to get five minutes.

To actually talk to Coach Gibbs and not even bring up the QB issue...baffling?

I understand that he probably would not be very forthcoming with any new information, but you got to take a shot. What's the use of all this access if we can't ask the most pressing issue of the day.

I really don't want to seem overly critical, because I understand that time is limited and peppering Coach Gibbs with questions about the QB issue could have possibly resulted in an even shorter interview, but the questions posed, top to bottom, were rather soft. Not a single question that seemed remotely challenging. The man is a head coach in the NFL, I think he can handle something a little more difficult.

I will say this, Coach Gibbs definately plays it close to the vest. Almost everything he said has been available elsewhere in print.

Archived