Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Stewart on Accountability

chomerics

Also Des. History is written by the victors. So unless the Dems figure out a way to stop getting trounced in elections, Bush may end up on Mt Rushmore.
The victors thing applies to wars or situation where the opposition is wiped out. If anything Bush has all but insured that this won't be the case. The bottom line is the federal government has dropped the ball impressively several times under his watch....and we still have several years to go.

This hurricane thing is just one more screw up in a long chain of federal screw ups defended as "not Bush's fault" that all happened under Bush's watch. I'm sure he'll refuse to fire anyone or hold anyone accountable yet again, yet still claim that even though he hand picked the people and refused to get rid of them, that he has nothing to do with the mistakes.

Jon Stewart = Bill Mahr = Al Franken = swarmy know-it-all pr!cks

Ever notice how Bush apologists use "know-it-all" or "intellectual" as an insult? As if being smart or knowledgeable was a bad thing?

It's like, I'd be all about letting Bush off the hook for Katrina, if only I'd stop doing all that annoying "thinking" and "critical analysis".

(Also, "swarmy?" Is that, like, swarthy + smarmy?)

The victors thing applies to wars or situation where the opposition is wiped out. If anything Bush has all but insured that this won't be the case. The bottom line is the federal government has dropped the ball impressively several times under his watch....and we still have several years to go.

This hurricane thing is just one more screw up in a long chain of federal screw ups defended as "not Bush's fault" that all happened under Bush's watch. I'm sure he'll refuse to fire anyone or hold anyone accountable yet again, yet still claim that even though he hand picked the people and refused to get rid of them, that he has nothing to do with the mistakes.

Not saying they don't exist, but what screw ups are you referring to?

No Des, I want people to place blame squarely where it belongs.

And I dont want an over-reaction to a disaster. It was a massive natural disaster. People have this idea that Govt (state, local, Fed) should have been able to make it all better. I just dont share that belief. A disaster is, by definition, exactly that. A disaster.

I don't think people are saying the government should have been able to make it better, but everyone from the President on down is willing to acknowledge the response was unacceptable. The only people saying otherwise are for the most part doing so in order to defend the President.

Ever notice how Bush apologists use "know-it-all" or "intellectual" as an insult? As if being smart or knowledgeable was a bad thing?

It's like, I'd be all about letting Bush off the hook for Katrina, if only I'd stop doing all that annoying "thinking" and "critical analysis".

(Also, "swarmy?" Is that, like, swarthy + smarmy?)

"Know-it-all" means they think or act like they know it all, it does not mean they actually do - a pretty common term.

Hey Booma, do you feel destroyed now? :laugh:

I find it funny, Chom, that you insult him for not looking out of his "right wing circle" when your ENTIRE ARGUMENT was from a left wing circle.

Hey, I didn't feel like typing all the points. They used actual articles, which I linked, which refute the claim and put the facts on the table.

Like I said, debunk the article, and I will admit that I am wrong. Somebody challanged me to debunk a Washington Times piece, which I would have if they would admit they were wrong when faced with REAL evidence to the contrary.

I also linked my source, and let people know BEFOREHAND the site is from a liberal site. I know that it is biased to one side, but the facts do not change, and the links are completely valid. I just didn't feel like typing another 10,000 words to say the same thing.

Exactly. God forbid someone has an informed opinion on something.

This is too funny. Like Stewarts beliefs or not, he hit it out of the park with this one.

Question:

What did the state homeland security tell the Red Cross when they tried to deliver food/water to the SuperDome?

Answer: No, we don't want them to stay here... we want to to leave...

(The person who said that, should be put back into it)

Question:

how many times was the PA system in the Superdome used by the Emergency personnel to tell the people what was going on?

Answer:

Question:

Isnt the Governor still saying she may not evacuate the area even though the Mayor and Red Cross are pleading for it.. She still wanted to see what the reports came back about the water..

Ummm: THE CDC was reporting on people that ALREADY left... hint hint...

Not saying they don't exist, but what screw ups are you referring to?

If I tried to make a list now I'd miss a lot....but to name a few.

- 9/11

- hand over Osama now!.....oh crap he got away.

- Plastic sheeting and duct tape GET SOME NOW!

- We must secure the country by allowing the FBI to see what you read and what you buy without a court order or your knowledge...it is absolutely necessary......but yeah we can leave the border wide open hehehe.

- WMD he has them!....forget that it's about freedom!

- Iraq has nukes...no...crap Iran has them now...where did they...Oh...from our buddy Pakistan...damn

- Prison torture....But wait it's not torture look!!!....oh yeah we forgot to mention we never showed you the images of rape and murder heh sorry

- Hurricance hit cities destroyed....my buddy Grover Norquist a GOP strategist has spoken about weakening FEMA for years...but forget that, it isn't relevant I promise.

"Know-it-all" means they think or act like they know it all, it does not mean they actually do - a pretty common term.

Well then post where I am wrong, and bring up an argument.

So now that I have answered ALL of the rights ridiclous talking points, maybe they can try to tackle a few.

Did the fact that Bush was on vacation hamper the response?

Why did Bush not call for an immidiate return to Washington for his cabinet?

Why were people turned away from helping?

Why were people kept CAPTIVE in NO, and not allowed to leave?

Why are there 40,000 troops in NO now IF

a) The president needed the gov. to "ask him"

and

B) She infact turned down Bush's fax request for assistance?

Why did Bush say "Why would I do that, He's done a remarkable job" when asked if he would Fire Michael Brown?

Why did Bush say "we never anticipated the levees breaking" on Wednesday?

Does anyone want to try and tackle these? Somehow I doubt it. :doh:

You see, the right CAN'T answer, they NEVER have. They only spin, tell lies, and blame it on the democrats. Read DarkLadyRavens post on the neo-con handbook and you can equate EACH crisis and see how the NEVER hold anyone accountable.

In fact, I challenge any righty to answer all of them with clear concise points, using reputable links to documents. I think you guys may fall short on this one, maybe you should divide the questions so each one of you can tackle just one.

1.) How often do you watch the Daily Show?

2.) Do you have a sense of humor?

And for the record, I agree about Mahr and Franken.

1. Yes, I have seen it several times. I know it's a popular show, but I think it sucks.

2. Oh, because I don't like Jon Stewart's show or think he's funny means I don't have a sense of humor? Now that right there is funny. :laugh:

Story Broken Yesterday by FNC

According to Hugh Hewitt, Major Garrett of Fox News is reporting that the Red Cross "had prepositioned water, food, blankets and hygiene products for delivery to the Superdome and the Convention Center in the immediate aftermath of the hurricane, but were blocked from delivering those supplies by orders of the Louisiana state government, which did not want to attract people to the Superdome and/or Convention Center."

Explosive, obviously, if true. Hugh has interviewed Garrett, who says the report comes from "sources at the highest levels of the Red Cross."

UPDATE: Several readers report seeing this statement made by Red Cross officials. Jane Ehrgott writes:

I saw the woman who was the spokesperson for the Red Cross on tonight's Shepard Smith Report. She said on that interview that the Louisiana "STATE HOMELAND SECURITY DEPT." stopped them from going to the Superdome in the immediate aftermath. I was shocked.

Kent Anderson writes:

Your story on the red cross being barred from nola was confirmed wed morning by an official spokesperson of the red cross on the diane ream npr show. a caller inquired if it was true and she (the spokesman) replied unequivocally that it was true.

UPDATE: David Kolbe sends a link:

A Red Cross official, Carol Miller, said on NPR's Diane Rehm show this morning that the Red Cross was told not to provide aid at the Superdome by the Louisiana, not U.S., Department of Homeland Security. Audio here: http://www.wamu.org/programs/dr/ (click link on left side of page) the comment is about 35:40 into the show.

I've listened to the exchange, and the Red Cross representative clearly confirms that the Louisiana authorities directed the Red Cross not to operate in New Orleans lest residents be tempted to stay. The Super Dome and convention center aren't specifically mentioned, but obviously would be included in the prohibition.

Other readers have pointed out that the same information is on the Red Cross web site. So there isn't any doubt about the basic point. The thing that would make it more explosive, I guess, is if the Red Cross had specifically stockpiled materiel to go to the Super Dome and convention center, as indicated by Garrett's report on Fox.

You'll note that the story was broken by Fox News, but confirmed on NPR.

I'll supply your answers: ;)

Well then post where I am wrong, and bring up an argument.

So now that I have answered ALL of the rights ridiclous talking points, maybe they can try to tackle a few.

Did the fact that Bush was on vacation hamper the response? Yes, there's no way he actually works during his vacations!

Why did Bush not call for an immidiate return to Washington for his cabinet? Because he's dumb and inarticulate!

Why were people turned away from helping? Because Bush doesn't care about black people

Why were people kept CAPTIVE in NO, and not allowed to leave? Bush was laughing and evil laugh while rubbing his hands together. Mu haha aha haaaww

Why are there 40,000 troops in NO now IF

a) The president needed the gov. to "ask him"

and Bush was actually waiting for Cheney's permission!

B) She infact turned down Bush's fax request for assistance? Bush doesn't care about rights, he does what he wants, when he wants!

Why did Bush say "Why would I do that, He's done a remarkable job" when asked if he would Fire Michael Brown? Bush is incompetent!

Why did Bush say "we never anticipated the levees breaking" on Wednesday? Bush is a liar!

Does anyone want to try and tackle these? Somehow I doubt it. :doh:

You see, the right CAN'T answer, they NEVER have. They only spin, tell lies, and blame it on the democrats. Read DarkLadyRavens post on the neo-con handbook and you can equate EACH crisis and see how the NEVER hold anyone accountable.

In fact, I challenge any righty to answer all of them with clear concise points, using reputable links to documents. I think you guys may fall short on this one, maybe you should divide the questions so each one of you can tackle just one.

I like Stewart, the few times I've seen TDS, when he doesn't bring his politics into it. I know some people think it's when he's at his best, but whether I agree with him or not, he gets too arrogant for me. Like all arrogant blowhards on both sides, he throws stones just at the people he doesn't like, and usually with poor backing (he did a great job explaining in his quote why it was a "inarguable failure in leadership"). I don't really enjoy watching that. The last paragraph was fine, and the Monica thing was funny, but my problem with it, and with the general liberal/Anti-Bush response, is that the blame has to start with Bush, then maybe it'll trickle down to the local and state govt. It should be the other way around, it should be starting with the local leaders who failed to draw up an effective evacuation plan, and implement it, BEFORE the storm hit. There was nothing done by local leaders leading up to, and immediately after the storm, which is the most crucial time for action. The p1ss-poor response by the feds should come next.

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLRIGHT!!! another thread where lefties and righties are pointing fingers and namecalling over the Katrina situation! Wow, I haven't seen this before on here.

:doh:

Anyway, what good does it do to keep arguing this over and over? Whats done is done, guys. Trying to place the blame on Bush or the Mayor or the Govenor isn't going to fix anything or make anyone feel better. It's not going to bring back any homes and it's not going to save any lives.

Can we all just agree to disagree that multiple parties dropped the ball on this one? I think we already have but hard headed foolishness makes us look up and quote websites and act like blame should be placed moreso on one party than another.

So, I ask, what good is it to blame the mayor, Bush, or govenor more? Does it make you sleep better at night? Whats the deal here, fellas? Bush doesn't run again in 2008, right? So why are we arguing about who dropped the ball when the answer is multiple people dropped it. Everyone should be held accountable.

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLRIGHT!!! another thread where lefties and righties are pointing fingers and namecalling over the Katrina situation! Wow, I haven't seen this before on here.

:doh:

Anyway, what good does it do to keep arguing this over and over? Whats done is done, guys. Trying to place the blame on Bush or the Mayor or the Govenor isn't going to fix anything or make anyone feel better. It's not going to bring back any homes and it's not going to save any lives.

Can we all just agree to disagree that multiple parties dropped the ball on this one? I think we already have but hard headed foolishness makes us look up and quote websites and act like blame should be placed moreso on one party than another.

So, I ask, what good is it to blame the mayor, Bush, or govenor more? Does it make you sleep better at night? Whats the deal here, fellas? Bush doesn't run again in 2008, right? So why are we arguing about who dropped the ball when the answer is multiple people dropped it. Everyone should be held accountable.

That post deserves an Amen. :)

1. Yes, I have seen it several times. I know it's a popular show, but I think it sucks.

2. Oh, because I don't like Jon Stewart's show or think he's funny means I don't have a sense of humor? Now that right there is funny. :laugh:

That you don't have a sense of humor is your own conclusion. I merely asked two questions.

Archived