Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whose Responsible - regarding Katrina and New Orleans

footballhenry

It has been an extremely tough situation, and after reading and watching countless news items on whats going on I think it is both irresponsible and immature to lay blame on any one person, especially President Bush. I dont care if Clinton was in office, how anyone can take an entire catastrophe and blame it on one man is beyond me. Its more than that, the local, state, AND federal governments failed New Orleans and the rest of the affected areas.

The President has more weight on him than any other man on Earth, and with that comes undue praise and undue criticism. The FIRST responsible for this disaster is simple: nature. Noone predicted the storm would be THIS bad. Noone thought it would get THIS out of hand. I have no doubt that people worked hard and did all they could to help those that needed it, both before the storm, during, and now in the aftermath. I put more blame, due to reports I am hearing, on the local and state government, especially the Mayor of N.O.

Bush does NOT get a pass though, anytime a major U.S. city goes under like this the president NEEDS to be held accountable to an extent. Thats why I was happy when he said that this is unacceptable, because he didn't sugarcoat it. I know he is a genuinely good man, despite what others here may say, and have no doubt he is distraught over the mess down there right now.

Chomerics said in another post that if this happened to Beverly Hills he doesn't think it wouldve been this bad. And I have to agree with that assesment, now I do NOT think that this is a race issue BUT power and money come into play here too. No doubt in my mind that if this happened to a rich or high-priced city (yes even predominantly white) then things wouldve been kept under wraps better and people may have gotten things quicker.

All that said, complaining doesn't do any good right now. The government needs to act, which I suppose its doing right now. All we can do is offer our deepest sympathies to those affected, and hope that our government can learn from this incredible disaster.

Does anyone know if there is anything in the transportation bill past last month to help in dealing with large scale disasters? Or how FEMA's New Orleans levee funding was re-directed... was there any way Congress could have protected the money to ensure the New Orleans levee project kept going? Who is going to ask Congress why FEMA was rolled under DHS?

It's been posted here (only once, without, IIR, any specific source) that the local head of the Corps of Engineers, asked about the budget cuts and levees, has said,

• The funds requested, have been requested every year for 30 years, and they've been postponed every year.
  • If they had been approved this year, it wouldn't have done any good, because the work takes three years to do.
  • The places they wanted to fix, aren't the places that failed.

Now, I've only seen this information in this one place. But if true, then it implies that attempting to blame this disaster on budget cuts (pardon the expression) doesn't hold water.

I'm wondering if Pat Robertson has announced, yet, that the hurricane was caused by New Orleans, because they were scheduled to have a tourist event this weekend, called Southern Decadence, that was supposedly popular among gays.

Have not heard it from ol Pat yet,but I have heard some say it is because it was so evil a city :rolleyes:

I Just lump it with the racist comments,plenty of idiots to choose from.

btw: good post FootballHenry.

Who's responsible?

1) Mother Nature

2) Local goverment

3) Federal government

... in that order!

I still like

0) The French. (For building a port below sea level).

(And yes, I know, it wasn't below sea level back then. I just like blaming the French, anyway.)

Yes... the blame lies somewhere with the French. Man the B2 bombers, load the JDAMS and MOABS, to Paris we flight plan!!!! :laugh:

In reality, it's the failure of the local and state govts. for not following their own Disaster Preparedness Plans and for failing to call for federal help in the appropriate manner.

In the political realm, it's all Bush's fault with the drumbeat lead by every talking head on network news. He's the president.... FEMA was delayed in mobilizing.... so he should be held responsible and impeached immediately.

There isn't a chance in hell that the democratic Mr. Nagrin, or Blanco, are going to see their responsiblity highlighted in the national media. It's not the MO of the networks... highlighting failure within the democratic fold. It's all Bush's fault... that's the tune being whistled on TVs all over the country.

As for the levees and the corp of engineers, New Orleans has been asking for billions for that work and has never gotten it. Part of the reason for the reduction of apporpriations is because the city always asks for twice as much as they need.... so that half of it can go to crooked politicans and contractors.... and the other half mispsent on misguided plans and studies that further divert money away from the problem and into the bank accounts of the most corrupt city and state govt in the entire country.

Have you heard any national media make point that the city of New Orleans has more crooked politicians than any other state in the union? Anyone hear about the masses of Lousiana state officals under indictment for corruption? And we're supposed to be handing over billions of dollars and hope they fix the levees? :doh:

Voila! Instant Disaster!!!!!

Assessing Blame

Officials Deal With Political Fallout by Pointing Fingers

By Jim VandeHei

Washington Post Staff Writer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/04/AR2005090401337.html

Louisiana officials pushed back hard against the White House yesterday, sharply criticizing President Bush for offering a tentative and insufficient response to the obliteration of New Orleans and then trying to shift the blame to the state and local governments.

Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.) accused Bush of failing to fund efforts to fortify the levee protecting New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina hit, and of failing to send troops, supplies and other assistance quickly enough in Katrina's aftermath. "Would the president please stop taking photo-ops, and please come and see what I'm trying to show him?" Landrieu asked on ABC's "This Week." She threatened to "punch" Bush or anyone else who criticizes the response of the local sheriffs, one day after administration officials blamed state and local authorities for missteps in relief and rescue efforts.

Aaron Broussard, president of decimated Jefferson Parish in Louisiana, broke down in tears on NBC's "Meet the Press" as he chided officials. "Nobody's coming to get us," Broussard said, his head sagging. "The secretary has promised. Everybody's promised. They've had press conferences. I'm sick of the press conferences. For God's sake, shut up and send us somebody."

In public statements and even more bluntly behind the scenes, Bush administration officials have questioned local efforts to rescue thousands of people who were stranded for days without food, water and shelter, resulting in death of an unknown number of Americans. The Bush administration says the death tolls will reach into the thousands by the time New Orleans is drained, and three top officials were dispatched to survey the region.

"All that is still occurring, and people are now reducing it to politics and shifting it to the blame game. It's sad that human tragedy is being reduced to politics," said Denise Bottcher, spokeswoman for Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco.

Bush is trying to undo what many Republicans described as considerable damage to the White House inflicted by Bush's crisis management. "Almost every Republican I have spoken with is disappointed" in Bush's performance, said William Kristol, a conservative columnist with close White House ties. "He is a strong president . . . but he has never really focused on the importance of good execution. I think that is true in many parts of his presidency."

As president, Bush typically has been loath to admit mistakes, and this situation is no different.

A senior White House aide said there was no reason for Bush to return to Washington to deal with the disaster before Wednesday, though he was told of the gravity of the situation in briefings late into the night on Monday. Bush cut short his working vacation at his ranch near Crawford, Tex., but spent Tuesday night there. The aide said Bush wanted to allow his Cabinet and staff time to get back to Washington and in place to brief him.

Democrats say Bush would have been better positioned to demand a speedier response if he were in Washington, or at least to offer Americans a symbolic show of his involvement by cutting short his time away from the White House.

One reason for the slow White House response, said a Republican who has been in contact with several officials, is that so many high-level officials and aides were on vacation. Vice President Cheney, for instance, was in Wyoming and did not return unil Thursday, and Nicolle Devenish, the president's top communications adviser, is getting married in Greece with a number of mid-level aides in attendance.

Bush's first speech to the nation has been widely criticized as unemotional and too bureaucratic in tone. In subsequent appearances, Bush seemed at times tentative and distracted -- and not always sure of the message he wanted to leave. On Friday, Bush said he was "looking forward to my trip" to see the storm wreckage only to say "I am not looking forward to this trip" when he landed. The senior aide said Bush wanted to accomplish one major goal with those initial speeches -- underscore "the enormity of the problem" and the government's plan to respond accordingly. Critics say he failed to reassure a distraught nation.

Late last week, Bush said he was unhappy with the overall response, but the aide made it clear he was most upset with the local plan -- not his own administration's efforts. Bush lost patience with local officials when he learned that thousands of people were sent to the New Orleans convention center for relief only to learn their was no assistance for victims there, the aide said, calling this the "tipping point." Bush infuriated Blanco and other local officials when he sought late Friday night to federalize the relief effort and seize control of National Guard and other operations. The governor refused, and tensions between the federal and local officials worsened.

"We're still fighting over authority," New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said over the weekend. "A bunch of people are the boss. The state and the federal government are doing a two-step dance."

Landrieu, echoing the concerns of others, said that "it's mind-boggling to everyone in Louisiana, including myself, why the president did not send forces earlier." Blanco commands the vast majority of the National Guard troops and should be questioned as to why she did not move more quickly, the senior aide responded.

The White House is moving on several fronts to repair Bush's image and streamline its response effort. Bush will return to Louisiana and Mississippi today.

With a number of African Americans accusing Bush of racial insensitivity, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice flew to the region to respond to critics. "Nobody, especially the president, would have left people unattended on the basis of race," she said. Rep. Melvin Watt (D-N.C.), chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus, and other African American leaders were invited to the White House for a two-hour meeting Saturday in which top administration officials briefed participants on the hurricane response.

Watt said he was focused on rescue efforts, not politics, but observed: "I think there was the growing perception that folks were concerned and that it might have race implications" because African Americans were disproportionately represented among New Orleans residents unable to evacuate the city.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld was also dispatched yesterday to the region, and the senior aide said Bush anticipates the greater military presence will vastly improve communications and allow for more timely decision-making.

Some Republicans close to the White House say FEMA Director Michael D. Brown is taking the brunt of blame-casting in internal administration conversations, though Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and others defended his performance yesterday. Under initial plans, Chertoff was going to oversee the relief effort from Washington while Brown was Bush's man on the ground. In an about-face, Chertoff has become Bush's top subordinate in the region.

Chertoff is in charge of operational briefings for Bush, which start early each morning and occur periodically throughout the day. White House Chief of Staff Andrew H. Card Jr. is coordinating the hurricane team, and Karl Rove, the president's top political adviser, has been intimately involved in meetings. Bush, who typically works a fairly set schedule, has been working longer hours, getting in earlier than his usual 7 a.m. start and working as late as 9 p.m., at least two hours past his normal quitting time.

Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.) accused Bush of failing to fund efforts to fortify the levee protecting New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina hit, and of failing to send troops, supplies and other assistance quickly enough in Katrina's aftermath. "Would the president please stop taking photo-ops, and please come and see what I'm trying to show him?" Landrieu asked on ABC's "This Week." She threatened to "punch" Bush or anyone else who criticizes the response of the local sheriffs, one day after administration officials blamed state and local authorities for missteps in relief and rescue efforts.

There is a reason why there is a "D" behind her name. Talk about playing politics. This from a woman the dems poured millions of dollars on to win the state senate seat.

Oh... and punching the President... how cordial..... how distinguished of a Senator. In fact, I'd like to see the Senate taken back to the days of the 1800's when senators wrapped each other with cains and punched each other in the mouth. It appears Landrieu wants to go back there too.

It's obvious she doesn't realize that the President's appearance in New Orleans isn't going to make things better. They're saving lives down there, nearly a week after the hurricane, and she wants to add the President, his security forces, and the media crush into the mix for a photo-op herself. :doh:

Go away Mrs. Landrieu.... you've done enough.

It has been an extremely tough situation, and after reading and watching countless news items on whats going on I think it is both irresponsible and immature to lay blame on any one person, especially President Bush. I dont care if Clinton was in office, how anyone can take an entire catastrophe and blame it on one man is beyond me. Its more than that, the local, state, AND federal governments failed New Orleans and the rest of the affected areas.

The President has more weight on him than any other man on Earth, and with that comes undue praise and undue criticism. The FIRST responsible for this disaster is simple: nature. Noone predicted the storm would be THIS bad. Noone thought it would get THIS out of hand. I have no doubt that people worked hard and did all they could to help those that needed it, both before the storm, during, and now in the aftermath. I put more blame, due to reports I am hearing, on the local and state government, especially the Mayor of N.O.

Bush does NOT get a pass though, anytime a major U.S. city goes under like this the president NEEDS to be held accountable to an extent. Thats why I was happy when he said that this is unacceptable, because he didn't sugarcoat it. I know he is a genuinely good man, despite what others here may say, and have no doubt he is distraught over the mess down there right now.

Chomerics said in another post that if this happened to Beverly Hills he doesn't think it wouldve been this bad. And I have to agree with that assesment, now I do NOT think that this is a race issue BUT power and money come into play here too. No doubt in my mind that if this happened to a rich or high-priced city (yes even predominantly white) then things wouldve been kept under wraps better and people may have gotten things quicker.

All that said, complaining doesn't do any good right now. The government needs to act, which I suppose its doing right now. All we can do is offer our deepest sympathies to those affected, and hope that our government can learn from this incredible disaster.

Good post, and I agree with everything you said.

The initial blame falls on the local government. I don't know what else the fed could have done unless you wanted the army there during the hurricane :doh:

Go read the other posts and let me know if you still think this way booma :D

Football read some of the other posts there are about 20 already :D

There will be another 200, because this has changed us forever. We can't sugercoat what happened, and we hae to deal with it.

BTW, WTF is up with Savage? I heard him on the radio tonight and he said "I'm not giving a stinking cent to them". "They can get money from the federal government" and babbled something about immigration. I was completely shocked, people were agreeing with him as well :doh:

He is spewing hate and racism on his show, as are a lot of other talk show hosts. They are using terms like "those people" and "savages" to describe the people down there. Please people, don't buy into the hate, this isn't a race issue, but a social class one. The peolpe from NO don't understand this yet, but hopefully we can show them as Americans that they are not right.

"Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld was also dispatched yesterday to the region, and the senior aide said Bush anticipates the greater military presence will vastly improve communications and allow for more timely decision-making."

Oh, I am sure this will help immensely, not...

There is a reason why there is a "D" behind her name. Talk about playing politics. This from a woman the dems poured millions of dollars on to win the state senate seat.

OK, so it is the Dems playing politics, republicans don't do that. . . righhhhttt :rolleyes:

Oh... and punching the President... how cordial..... how distinguished of a Senator. In fact, I'd like to see the Senate taken back to the days of the 1800's when senators wrapped each other with cains and punched each other in the mouth. It appears Landrieu wants to go back there too.

It's obvious she doesn't realize that the President's appearance in New Orleans isn't going to make things better. They're saving lives down there, nearly a week after the hurricane, and she wants to add the President, his security forces, and the media crush into the mix for a photo-op herself. :doh:

Still can't see the forest through the trees huh?

I'm wondering if Pat Robertson has announced, yet, that the hurricane was caused by New Orleans, because they were scheduled to have a tourist event this weekend, called Southern Decadence, that was supposedly popular among gays.

That's funny, but I was thinking the same thing yesterday.

:laugh: :laugh:

The FIRST responsible for this disaster is simple: nature. Noone predicted the storm would be THIS bad. Noone thought it would get THIS out of hand.

I don't buy that at all. Obviously it was a natural disaster, and there's only so much you can do with that, but that "only so much" could've been alot more in this case. There were alot of people out there that knew that if a hurricane hit New Orleans it would be an unmitigated disaster. Even I knew that. I mean, it's a city on the coast that's below sea level. If that's not an accident waiting to happen, I don't know what it is. It's easy to blame Mother Nature first and call this an act of God, but in this case God and Nature gave us plenty of time to prepare before they acted.

Archived