Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mr. Coles

stwasm

Both Thomas and Pierce basically said that Coles wasn't a distraction, and played hard, but would have been a distraction if he had come back. Maybe he would have been. But maybe if Gibbs had met with Coles before the season and explained that his new offensive scheme would feature more deep passes, maybe Coles wouldn't have been so unhappy.

You don't think a HOF Coach with three SB rings tried that?

maybe if Coles had not run down the Redskins staff behind their backs during the 2004 season, then Joe Gibbs WOULD have worked with him in the offseason to show him the changes that were going to be made :)

in order to have good chemistry on a team you have to first get rid of the 'me first' ballplayers.

Coles was perhaps the team's most visible 'me' ballplayer.

By replacing his ego with players that just want to win and are willing to sacrifice for that goal, the team is ahead of the game, so to speak.

It's ironic that the Patriots win the Super Bowl seemingly every year and yet fans are still questioning why teams looking to improve are jettisoning players that are 'me first' and big ego types.

Isn't that the type of team the Patriots have been for the past 4 years? :)

Isn't that how the team could jettison guys like Drew Bledsoe, Antowain Smith, Ty Law, Dave Wohlabaugh, Joe Andruzzi and other players and still win the following season?

According to Pro Football Weekly, "WR Laveranues Coles has been everything the Jets hoped he would be and more in his second tour of duty with the club. We hear the injured toe that was such a concern to the Redskins has not been an issue at all. More importantly, Coles seems to have quickly regained the chemistry he shared with QB Chad Pennington before leaving for Washington." Yikes! Did we make a mistake?

I heard just the other day that the Lions are glad they drafted Mike Williams.

I hear Santana Moss is fitting in well with the Redskins new schemes.

Word on the street is that the Panthers are in love with Rod Gardner.

I wouldn't expect to hear anything else come out of Jets camp. (I'm assuming that's where pro football weekly is getting their information)

Let's wait and see what these players do during the regular season:)

My understanding is the hit is all this year (2005) on Coles.

He didn't want to be here. Gibbs said to all the players, "Just give me the word, and I'll move you." Coles gave him the word, and Gibbs moved him. Not so sure Danny-boy was all that pleased with the move, btw--remember how testy he got during the process. The cap hit is all this year, which helps in 2006 a little (we signed Moss to a long-term deal which doesn't hit that big in 2006), but the main deal is Gibbs wants players who want to be here, Coles didn't want to be here, and Gibbs kept his word.

PS Wake me up if Mr "Irontoe" Coles makes it through 16 games...this is preseason. PFW is full of sh** to make this claim so early--just another backhanded slap at the skins, IMO. Let's see him against NE, Indy, etc. I don't really give a rat's ass, given he didn't want to be here, but what's the point of this "report"?

It was mentioned at one point that Coles and Pennington were communicating before the 2004 season was over about how they needed to get back together agian. If that's true, Coles had no intention of ever playing for us again, he and Chad had their own plan. As for the toe, we are T-4 games away before he seriously aggravates it again, becoming the same screen pass receiver with no speed or separation that played with us last year. Good riddance.

What is the cap hit situation for Coles?

I should probably have known before I started to say the trade was a mistake, but I thought the greater hit would come next year, and I'm reading that the majority of the cap hit will be this year. Anyone know?

Coles cap hit for 2005 is $9.2M and for 2006 is $0

Coles was scheming to leave the team even before the season was over. Even if the guy wasn't vocal about it, he was a malcontent and not one of Gibbs' guys. I am not sure what we would have done to make him happy, but during training camp 2004, he made a couple of cryptic comments that showed that maybe he wasn't happy even at that time. Also, you can see the big difference in speed between Moss and Coles; LC now isn't the player we thought we were getting in 2003.

We'll see how the season ends, but inspite of the cap hit, I think we got the better end of the deal. And next year, we should have even more room with our cap.

Coles might have a nagging toe injury but mentality that he won't be able to last a full season is absolutely ridiculous. The guy has never missed a game.

People here at quick to bash him and I don't blame them because he didn't show any loyalty to the team we love.

So I won't go into obvious false mentality when it comes to him other than his durability in detail. I'll just say I will be very surprised if Santanna finishes the season with better #'s than Laverneas.

According to Pro Football Weekly, "WR Laveranues Coles has been everything the Jets hoped he would be and more in his second tour of duty with the club. We hear the injured toe that was such a concern to the Redskins has not been an issue at all. More importantly, Coles seems to have quickly regained the chemistry he shared with QB Chad Pennington before leaving for Washington." Yikes! Did we make a mistake?

According to football weekly? WTF? And according to Pastabelly we are the "deadskins". Hey listen. Maybe football weekly would like to put the yards average for so far for "bump toe" Coles. Last time I saw the yard per catch average it was just about the same average he had last year. Oh yea and so far Moss and Patten have twice the yard average per catch. Maybe football weekly can go ahead and give us their opinion on that.

But maybe if Gibbs had met with Coles before the season and explained that his new offensive scheme would feature more deep passes, maybe Coles wouldn't have been so unhappy.

Still, I'd much rather have Moss than Coles, but I don't think the tradeoff was worth it because of the dead money.

And maybe we would have been happy if he had the sugery we begged him to have. Maybe we would have been happy if Coles could get seperation. And maybe we would have been happy if he had put up and shut up, considering the incredible amount of money he was making. But alas, none of the above happened. As others have pointed out, given all the negative things that we had to deal with when we traded him, Gibbs knew all that, and still did the deal. Apparently, it was worth quite a lot of flexibility to Gibbs to get rid of him. I think Gibbs is till a fairly astute football coach. For him to be willing to make that sacrifice says a lot about Coles.

Coles was scheming to leave the team even before the season was over. Even if the guy wasn't vocal about it, he was a malcontent and not one of Gibbs' guys. I am not sure what we would have done to make him happy, but during training camp 2004, he made a couple of cryptic comments that showed that maybe he wasn't happy even at that time.

Yeah. One of those cryptic comments happened during Gibbs' first game at FedEx. After seeing the fans cheering wildly when Gibbs came out, Coles said "it seems like the fans would rather watch him coach than watch us play." That was the first clue that he wasn't one of Gibbs' guys.

Archived