Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mr. Coles

stwasm

According to Pro Football Weekly, "WR Laveranues Coles has been everything the Jets hoped he would be and more in his second tour of duty with the club. We hear the injured toe that was such a concern to the Redskins has not been an issue at all. More importantly, Coles seems to have quickly regained the chemistry he shared with QB Chad Pennington before leaving for Washington." Yikes! Did we make a mistake?

Coles didn't want to be in Washington, despite agreeing greedily to take the money when it was offered. You really have to think twice about a player that shows such a lack of character.

Here he was a veteran player with a big chunk of the cap tied up in him, and instead of boosting Coach Gibbs and telling the younger guys to get behind the staff, he was out there sticking a knife in their backs.

With Coles it is all about HIM. And what pleases him from moment to moment. He is a lot like Terrell Owens, except less productive and more grossly overpaid :)

I would have a problem with a guy that was so anxious to leave my team which he claims he loves to take a bonus to play on a team he says now he knew was not set up to win.

the Jets offered him $10 million in bonus and later upped it to almost $11 million to keep him and Coles still took the Redskins offer of $13 million.

for a guy who 'loved' his teammates, coaches, the town and didn't want to uproot his kids, is the difference between $11 million and $13 million that significant, minus taxes and all the rest? :)

in regards to the toe, it is a structural problem that is not going to go away on its own. Coles will be hobbled by that toe at some point during the season just as he was here in 2003 and 2004.

then he will be back to taking a cortisone shot and trying to 'tough it out'.

Yes, it was mistake. Taking as great a cap hit as we took isn't worth Santanna Moss, even if he is better and does want to be here. Coles wasn't going to be Terrell Owens in the locker room anyway.

I disagree! He did not want to be here and the cap hit was larger next year in a year that looks ugly for cap purposes. Gibbs made the right choice and I do not think Coles will make it pass the 5th game.

Did we make a mistake?

No

1) Dead shoulder to dead toe scares no one.

2) The guy didn't want to be here.

3) Look at the WR's we have now. Even with the misfires from QB, our guys are getting separation. That was something we didn't have last year. Matter of fact, we haven't had that since Coles pre-toe injury.

During the Pre-sesason so far Coles had 7 catches for 76 yards avearging 10.9 yards and 1 TD. Moss has 5 cathces for 97 yards averaging a staggering 19.4 yards a catch but no TD. Patten has 8 catches for 157 yards, averaging a very impressive 19.6 yards a catch, but also he has no TD. There are pros and cons to everything, but when Ramsey they'll get TD's. How now we might bring back the Fun Bunch, start high Fiving in the end zone again.

Coles is like a TE now. Even Tony Gonzalez streches the feild more than COles. Coles is nothing but a busted toe. Man Joe really looks like he knew what he was talking about.

I can understand the concern, but we did the right thing. If a guy doesn't want to be here and isn't going to work hard and uplift his teamates then we don't want him. Gibbs tried to change his attitude to make the best of it but he was a ... jerk. He will probably do well in NY, and while we talk about how the toe bugs him their fans probably talk about "good luck with Moss' hamstring..." I think the trade was good for both teams, that being said... we are gonna be great without him!

Orginally posted by bulldog

Here he was a veteran player with a big chunk of the cap tied up in him, and instead of boosting Coach Gibbs and telling the younger guys to get behind the staff, he was out there sticking a knife in their backs.

Wow, talk about speculation. Just because Coles asked for his release doesn't mean he was ruining team chemistry.

I beleive the cap hit for next year is somewhere in the ballpark of $3 million plus. I don't know about you, but I think that $3 million could be better spent elsewhere, instead of players not on the team.

Coles didn't want to be in Washington, despite agreeing greedily to take the money when it was offered. You really have to think twice about a player that shows such a lack of character.

With Coles it is all about HIM. And what pleases him from moment to moment. He is a lot like Terrell Owens, except less productive and more grossly overpaid :)

I would have a problem with a guy that was so anxious to leave my team which he claims he loves to take a bonus to play on a team he says now he knew was not set up to win.

the Jets offered him $10 million in bonus and later upped it to almost $11 million to keep him and Coles still took the Redskins offer of $13 million.

for a guy who 'loved' his teammates, coaches, the town and didn't want to uproot his kids, is the difference between $11 million and $13 million that significant, minus taxes and all the rest? :)

in regards to the toe, it is a structural problem that is not going to go away on its own. Coles will be hobbled by that toe at some point during the season just as he was here in 2003 and 2004.

then he will be back to taking a cortisone shot and trying to 'tough it out'.

C'mon bulldog.

Its in the past.

We have to learn to let go.

Comparing him to T.O. is a low blow. He didn't like the system. He told Gibbs that he didn't like it, but he didn't hold out or sit and pout to the press about not getting used correctly. At least he was a man about it and told Gibbs how he felt.

The fact that Gibbs got rid of him was a product of the Redskins management. He didn't threaten to hold out or say that he demands a trade.

Sure, I have problems with how it worked out, but its all business.

Wow, talk about speculation. Just because Coles asked for his release doesn't mean he was ruining team chemistry.

I beleive the cap hit for next year is somewhere in the ballpark of $3 million plus. I don't know about you, but I think that $3 million could be better spent elsewhere, instead of players not on the team.

I believe it was his teammates (perhaps Thomas, maybe a few others) who said they were glad to have his presence gone from the lockerroom...

According to Pro Football Weekly, "WR Laveranues Coles has been everything the Jets hoped he would be and more in his second tour of duty with the club. We hear the injured toe that was such a concern to the Redskins has not been an issue at all. More importantly, Coles seems to have quickly regained the chemistry he shared with QB Chad Pennington before leaving for Washington." Yikes! Did we make a mistake?

Coles, I hope he breaks all his toes this year that whiny lil B%H :cheers:

I think Stubby's release in 2001 showed that it is better to bite the bullet and release the malcontented player taking the cap hit, than to keep him around and allow his bad attitude to chip away at the chemistry on your football team.

Although he didn't receive many plaudits at the time, Marty did the team a big favor by taking on the issue of Stubby's contract and sending him packing when he did.

Stubby proved us right by going back to SF, pledging to get back in shape and work to be the player he was before he left.

Instead, he was unproductive and the 49ers ended up letting him go early into his new deal with the team.

The cap hit we took for Coles did not hurt us and will help us next year. In fact, the money moved off of next year enabled us to rengotiate people like MB so more of his hit is next year. Now, one can argue that Moss is a downgrade from Coles but not by much (imo, Moss looks better so far, anyway). People need to remember that Coles did not want to be here and that is one of the BIGGEST factors here. Attitude alone can make the difference betwen being average and being good. Also, remember the toe, he may be okay now (though he still isn't what he was) but don't be suprised if it flares up again. Finally, Moss is Gibbs man and so is Patten. Even if Coles has a good season, whose to say that he'd have had such a season here?

Anyway, 60 catches for about 1140 yards is better than 90 for about 990. Even if in those 60 catches, Moss only has a couple of TDs that'd probably mean he's putting the ball inside the red zone and then Cooley or Portis are putting the ball in the end zone.

Originally posted by Califan007

I believe it was his teammates (perhaps Thomas, maybe a few others) who said they were glad to have his presence gone from the lockerroom...

I guess you're referring to this:

Right guard Randy Thomas praised Coles for not making his displeasure public last season while performing with spirit. But Thomas added: "If your heart is not here, why even come back in the building?"

Antonio Pierce said:

"You don't want to have somebody that doesn't want to be there," said linebacker Antonio Pierce in a phone interview. "If he's unhappy, he's going to make other people unhappy. We don't need that kind of negativity.

"L.C. plays hard, and guys respected him for that. But you need everybody on the same page. He wasn't a distraction, but you could tell he wasn't happy. If he came back, he would definitely be a distraction."

Both Thomas and Pierce basically said that Coles wasn't a distraction, and played hard, but would have been a distraction if he had come back. Maybe he would have been. But maybe if Gibbs had met with Coles before the season and explained that his new offensive scheme would feature more deep passes, maybe Coles wouldn't have been so unhappy.

Still, I'd much rather have Moss than Coles, but I don't think the tradeoff was worth it because of the dead money.

1 catch for 1 yard? Is that the actual stat line for the game for Coles? :laugh:

truthfully, I didn't watch or pay attention to the Jets game but that is very funny.

some people around here are wondering when Moss or Patten is going to get hurt because both are small in stature.

I am wondering how long it will be before Pennington injures his shoulder and Coles stubs his toe? ;)

Archived