Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mr. Coles

stwasm

According to Pro Football Weekly, "WR Laveranues Coles has been everything the Jets hoped he would be and more in his second tour of duty with the club. We hear the injured toe that was such a concern to the Redskins has not been an issue at all. More importantly, Coles seems to have quickly regained the chemistry he shared with QB Chad Pennington before leaving for Washington." Yikes! Did we make a mistake?

HELL NO!!! And I'm one of the one's who actually liked Coleslaw....but I don't want anybody to be on our team if THEY don't want to be here....one player doesn't make a team

Good riddance Coles. The guy is poison. I remember when he came here, he was dubbed as a character guy. Granted he does work hard and is tough, but he's just as moody as TO.

Look at it this way...the guy has left as a malcontent from his last 3 teams dating back to college (Free Shoes U, Jets - the first time around, and the Skins). He's happy and says all the right things when he gets his way but whines his way out the door when he doesn't like the way things are going. Reminds me of another receiver up the road...

Can't say much good or bad for Moss. He was the guy that Danny Boy wanted a few years back when we took Gardner instead of him. Danny wanted Moss, Schotty wanted Gardner. We'll see if Danny was actually right for once...

Acha :ravensuck

PFW is blowing smoke. They are basing this on his game against the Vikings... I think Coles had 6 catches for 55 yards and a TD. If you watched the game you would notice, every time Coles caught the ball he was wrapped up, no YAC. Santana Moss had more YAC on one catch than Coles did the whole night.

To his credit I will say Coles plays with heart and goes over the middle. Against the Vikings he absolutely torched their CB with a beautful post route (granted the Safety didn't get over, it was a good pitch and catch). I didn't get a chance to see all the 'Skins games with Coles but I don't remember him being the burner "go deep" guy that we need.

I don't know, maybe it was, I would have liked to made him play with us or not play at all, but scince we traded him we did grt something in return. Moss isn't as good as coles overall, but Moss has better moves after the catch, so what ever.

It's not like we made the trade because we thought Moss for Coles strait up for us, we just wanted to get something for Coles who was whiney.

Coles didn't want to be in Washington, despite agreeing greedily to take the money when it was offered. You really have to think twice about a player that shows such a lack of character.

Here he was a veteran player with a big chunk of the cap tied up in him, and instead of boosting Coach Gibbs and telling the younger guys to get behind the staff, he was out there sticking a knife in their backs.

With Coles it is all about HIM. And what pleases him from moment to moment. He is a lot like Terrell Owens, except less productive and more grossly overpaid :)

I would have a problem with a guy that was so anxious to leave my team which he claims he loves to take a bonus to play on a team he says now he knew was not set up to win.

the Jets offered him $10 million in bonus and later upped it to almost $11 million to keep him and Coles still took the Redskins offer of $13 million.

for a guy who 'loved' his teammates, coaches, the town and didn't want to uproot his kids, is the difference between $11 million and $13 million that significant, minus taxes and all the rest? :)

in regards to the toe, it is a structural problem that is not going to go away on its own. Coles will be hobbled by that toe at some point during the season just as he was here in 2003 and 2004.

then he will be back to taking a cortisone shot and trying to 'tough it out'.

i don't know if anyone addressed this but coles was a restricted free agent that couldn't really argue if his team didn't match the other team's offer. he didn't really have a choice whether or not he could come to dc or not

i don't know if anyone addressed this but coles was a restricted free agent that couldn't really argue if his team didn't match the other team's offer. he didn't really have a choice whether or not he could come to dc or not

He was under contract with New York and he had to agree to and sign the contract the Skins offered him in order to leave the Jets. He didn't want to come to the Skins just like TO didn't want to go to the Eagles last season.

:rolleyes:

I believe Gibbs got rid of Coles because he would not have his toe operated on. I think he felt that Coles had lost his lateral quickness, and that it would not get better with rest.

I believe Coles pre toe injury was better than Moss, but put me on record nowas saying Moss is head and shoulders above Coles as they are now.

Coles is tough and he will continue to play hampered by the toe and his YPC will remain low. Gibbs will come out smelling like a rose in this deal when all is said and done.

HOF44

Bob

Coles' toe is f****d. PFW can say whatever they want. the Jets can say whatever they want. There is NOTHING anyone can say that will make me think that toe will heal, except for "Laverneous Coles will undergo season ending surgery to repair his toe."

I saw his decline in production with my own eyes. As long as he continues to insist that he does not need surgery, he will be a liability to whichever team he is on.

And his cap hit is all this season. Next offseason all remnants of Laverneous will be gone.

According to Pro Football Weekly, "WR Laveranues Coles has been everything the Jets hoped he would be and more in his second tour of duty with the club. We hear the injured toe that was such a concern to the Redskins has not been an issue at all. More importantly, Coles seems to have quickly regained the chemistry he shared with QB Chad Pennington before leaving for Washington." Yikes! Did we make a mistake?

Thats Mmsss Coles. Get it right.

NO TOE NO TOE NO TOE NO TOE

Hey, maybe if we think real hard, we can stop this rain.

--

The TOE is a time bomb.

Coles doesnt like being anywhere he is.

We made out like bandits.

TTC. Total Team Chemistry. Thats what Gibbs does.

I wish there was a stat for total team IQ. I bet this team is smarter to a player then any team we have had in 10 years. Thats what Gibbs does.

Not just talent. But heart. Team players. Work habit. Maturity. Health. Pride, loyalty and intelligence.

We are a better team without 50/50 and Coles.

Look at the preseason stats so far. Coles averages about 10 yards per catch, Moss almost 20. I think we are going to be OK.
At 10 ypc, Coles is everything the Jets hoped he'd be??..."And more"???...

Okey dokey.

During the Pre-sesason so far Coles had 7 catches for 76 yards avearging 10.9 yards and 1 TD. Coles is like a TE now. Coles is nothing but a busted toe.
Rod Gardner 3 38 12.7 21 1

Laveranues Coles 7 76 10.9 20 1

Man, this group is grasping for straws worse than Moss grasping for that sure TD he dropped a week ago.

Against the Vikes, Coles had 57 yds and a TD in 1 half of football. If we're looking to draw conclusions from preseason stats as was done above, one might argue that Coles is poised for a 1800 yd season. And since he had a 20-yd TD and another 19 yd reception in that half, perhaps he's on pace for 64 catches of around 20 yards (Randy Moss had 27 in his best season).

Of course, the more reasonable alternative is to take preseason stats with a grain of salt, look at the big picture, and acknowledge what PFW was getting at -- i.e., that, so far, Coles has looked pretty good, and that for now, his toe hasn't been a real concern. But alas, that would require some degree of level-headed analysis and an ability to allow common sense to go unspoiled by lingering sour emotions.

the Jets offered him $10 million in bonus and later upped it to almost $11 million to keep him and Coles still took the Redskins offer of $13 million. for a guy who 'loved' his teammates, coaches, the town and didn't want to uproot his kids, is the difference between $11 million and $13 million that significant, minus taxes and all the rest? :)

STOP THE PRESSES!

You mean Coles actually turned down LESS money from his original team to take MORE money from another team?

How horrible of him. His soul must be rotten to the core.

Here's a question. If the Redskins rid their roster of all former free agents who engaged in such dispicable behavior, how many players would remain?

With Coles it is all about HIM. And what pleases him from moment to moment. He is a lot like Terrell Owens, except less productive and more grossly overpaid

As a TO-like player, why wasn't Coles shining the spotlight on himself DURING the season as Owens has been apt to do?

Better yet, why wasn't Coles ripping the most ineffective QB duo in the NFL last season, since TO has had no problem doing the same?

Further, why would Coles' former QB offer his own money to the Jets to bring back such a disruptive and divisive force?

These questions can't be answered, except to say that, at best, your comparison is extremely faulty. At worst, it's a figment of your imagination borne from the incredible scorn and feelings of rejection that this Coles chapter has caused you.

These questions can't be answered,

Man, this group is grasping for straws worse than Moss grasping for that sure TD he dropped a week ago.

Against the Vikes, Coles had 57 yds and a TD in 1 half of football. If we're looking to draw conclusions from preseason stats as was done above, one might argue that Coles is poised for a 1800 yd season. And since he had a 20-yd TD and another 19 yd reception in that half, perhaps he's on pace for 64 catches of around 20 yards (Randy Moss had 27 in his best season).

Of course, the more reasonable alternative is to take preseason stats with a grain of salt, look at the big picture, and acknowledge what PFW was getting at -- i.e., that, so far, Coles has looked pretty good, and that for now, his toe hasn't been a real concern. But alas, that would require some degree of level-headed analysis and an ability to allow common sense to go unspoiled by lingering sour emotions.

but silly wabbit Coles has played in two more games and no improvement so far... in fact one game -1 catch 1 yard.. the mythical 3rd pre-season game that simulates a real game the first half..... pro-rate that over a season (since you only used 1 game) 32 catches 32 yards

yes it's pre-season, but so far the facts are playing out as Skins fans said all along... Coles hasn't got the same speed and his ypc will again hover around 10 ypc. Coles proclaimed his toe was in last pre-season as well... but we will see how long before you see the noticeable limp, and the need to "shoot it up".

Whose hating... it's not like we are on a jets board, spinning facts, insulting the player we traded.

It's ironic that the Patriots win the Super Bowl seemingly every year and yet fans are still questioning why teams looking to improve are jettisoning players that are 'me first' and big ego types.

Isn't that the type of team the Patriots have been for the past 4 years? :)

Really? Is that why the Patriots snapped up Corey "Crybaby" Dillon and made him their featured RB? Yup. The same Dillon that whined to the media mid-season while the Bengals were winning that he wanted out, because he felt snubbed by Rudi's success. The same selfish player who was booed mercilessly by his own fans for that behavior.

He's a Patriot now and he was a key reason for their last SB win. The Bengals? Well, they were 8-8 with Dillon, and 8-8 with a worse offense without him.

Oh, and although the Pats released Law this year, isn't it more noteworthy what they did last year when winning the Super Bowl? Then, Law publicly ripped into his coach and demanded to be let go. The Pats kept him anyway and told him to shut his mouth.

So in answer to your question, it's not really "ironic" that fans question moves such as the Skins jettisoning a "me first" player who expressed discontent with his team. What is ironic, however, is for someone to formulate a rule and then try to support that rule by pointing to a team who has violated it.

yes it's pre-season, but so far the facts are playing out as Skins fans said all along...

Bubba - please refer me to the posts where Skins fans "said all along" that in just one half of play, we should expect to see Coles (1) break double coverage and streak into the endzone for a 20-yd TD, and (2) lose a defender and accelerate into a seam for a 19-yd reception?

He made catches of that distance about once every two games last year. Yet, the Skins fans you know were predicting he'd do it multiple times in a half?

I guess the predictions I had seen were much less optimistic.

The bottom line is that VERY little can be taken from a handful of preseason receptions. Very little, other than the fact that Coles has shown he's currently physically capable of making precisely those plays that he was criticized for NOT making last year.

Archived