Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Corey Simon De-Franchised,now a free agent

chow184

C

so, is this another guy that goes somewhere else for a year or two and then ends up back in Philly bad-mouthing his former team that paid him all that money as Hugh Douglas and Trotter did? :evil:

Come on, thats not fare. Hugh only said it just wasn't the right situation.

The Redskins have already gone that route. Remember Trotter. An all pro released by the Eagles. Never quite fit in here in Washington. Successful players in the Eagles system don't always work in the Redskins system. Why make the same mistake twice.

The Redskins have already gone that route. Remember Trotter. An all pro released by the Eagles. Never quite fit in here in Washington. Successful players in the Eagles system don't always work in the Redskins system. Why make the same mistake twice.

Trotter was a failure in coaching. Lewis was arrogant and, frankly, stupid for pushing to acquire Trotter then not letting him BE Trotter. Edwards didn't know any better. Williams has an experienced staff of very smart coaches who design a system to fit the players they have. They identify what their players can do and ask them to do that, rather than asking them to do the things they can not do.

I doubt they'd take Simon given how close he is to Griffin in terms of role along the defensive line, but, we should not doubt Williams will figure out how to use a guy like Simon in a way that allows him to be a better player.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15114527&BRD=1674&PAG=461&dept_id=18040&rfi=6

"Simon, 28, started all 19 games last season including the playoffs but among Eagles defensive linemen who played regularly, he had the second-fewest tackles (34) and the fewest tackles for loss (13)."

yes, he was third in sacks on the team, but in a d that spreads them around, his 5 1/2 sacks will come from somewhere else.

Philly fans will get attacked now for towing the company line, but I fail to see how this guy is the second coming. At least two other teams offered him $5 mil per season to facilitate a trade, and he turned it down.

he's not even the best d tackle on the team, but wants to be paid top 3 in the league. Good luck with that, Corey

I think Hugh Douglas and Jeremiah Trotter show that teams that try and piggy back success on players the Eagles have put into their defensive system, end up carrying big contracts and getting little production :laugh:

We don't need this kind of trojan horse again after having to eat Trotter's bonus.

BINGO! Do not take the Eagles defensive cast aways. They have a system similar to ours where the players will not produce nearly as well in a different system. Hugh Douglas, Trotter, Bobby Taylor, Troy Vincent...

I'll give you an example.. Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent would float in and out of the probowl roster. Now they are on diff teams and are all but non existent. Lito Shepard has now made the pro bowl. You mean to tell me in this day and age or salary disputes and salary cap problems the Eagles can plug in a CB and have him make the pro bowl??? H*ll no. CB is one of the elite positions that teams covet... and one of the most expensive positions to pay a good player. There arent SPARE PROBOWL CB's lying around to pick up.

But the Eagles had 3 different probowl CB's n 3 years ???(and Sheldon Brown made a case statistic wise for himself that he could have attended the probowl and be the 4th) Bull! The Eagles D is a team D that relies on every player on the field filling their role/responsibility -- heavy blitzing and forcing turnovers is the name of the game. The secondary really benefits from the attack of the D-Line and LB's. Any half-decent CB can benefit from playing in Jim Johnson's schemes.

The only QB's that I've seen to really expose the Eagles D were Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

Anyway, take their players away from Philly and their abilities vanish.

He'd do fine under Greg Williams' system, but we don't need him, his contract disputes, or his work ethic.

We need a pass rushing DE!

I'd take him - no doubt.

The guy has talent. Add him to our D and we could be SUPA-Tough!

Of course, it all comes down to the Benjamins and we don't have much. Also, I just don't see it happening. The coaching staff probably doesn't want to add anybody new at this stage.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15114527&BRD=1674&PAG=461&dept_id=18040&rfi=6

"Simon, 28, started all 19 games last season including the playoffs but among Eagles defensive linemen who played regularly, he had the second-fewest tackles (34) and the fewest tackles for loss (13)."

yes, he was third in sacks on the team, but in a d that spreads them around, his 5 1/2 sacks will come from somewhere else.

Philly fans will get attacked now for towing the company line, but I fail to see how this guy is the second coming. At least two other teams offered him $5 mil per season to facilitate a trade, and he turned it down.

he's not even the best d tackle on the team, but wants to be paid top 3 in the league. Good luck with that, Corey

You have to take "stats" with a grain of salt. Sometimes, good players can make plays. And sometimes, good players make other people around them better.

Look at Mike Rucker in Carolina after Julius Peppers arrived. Look at Sean Ellis in NY even though I'd still take John Abraham.

the last thing this team needs is a player that comes with a high price tag and has work ethic/attitude issues.

geez, isn't that what we just what we got out from under by bringing Gibbs back here and getting rid of some guys over the past few years that had leeched us of dollars? :)

Corey Simon to me could be a potential Dana Stubblefield. A guy 26 or 27 coming off of a Super Bowl team who is looking for a big paycheck. The question as with Stubby is why would the Eagles let him go if he was so irreplaceable?

the last thing this team needs is a player that comes with a high price tag and has work ethic/attitude issues.

geez, isn't that what we just what we got out from under by bringing Gibbs back here and getting rid of some guys over the past few years that had leeched us of dollars? :)

Corey Simon to me could be a potential Dana Stubblefield. A guy 26 or 27 coming off of a Super Bowl team who is looking for a big paycheck. The question as with Stubby is why would the Eagles let him go if he was so irreplaceable?

amen.

Look, nothing against Simon.

Its just that he wouldn't put us over the top. Our D is pretty tight. If you need somebody, find us some more DB depth.

Excellent posts, bulldog.

While I admit I don't know a lot about Simon, I think Coaches Gibbs and Williams are happy with thier D-line players and aren't gonna try and make this move. :)

I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Of course, he'll cost more than we can afford right now. Still, given his age and past performance, Williams is a guy who could really provide some motivation to Simon and make him something special. Not that Johnson isn't that type of coach, but, sometimes a tone deafness can develop to some degree and the fit just doesn't work out.

Simon, though, would play the same role as Griffin and therefore is not a great fit for us. This does strike me as a pretty cheap move by the Eagles, and, if done by the Redskins, would be evil Danny Snyder screwing over a player :).

I think Simon would be a little pissed at the Eagles and would love to sign for another team in the division. We need DL bad, I think this is win/win if we get him. With releasing McCants how much do we get back?

I agree Tom. The Giants SHOULD be pursuing Simon because their defense up the middle is not that strong. I like the Giants skill players on both sides of the ball, but their lines are still a very big question mark.

I see the Redskins having the advantage vs. NY on both sides of the ball up front.

NY isn't going to win many games getting pushed off the ball. Simon will help the team no question.

If the Giants had not given up on Cornelius Griffin, they wouldn't need Simon :)

But I guess when all is said and done we traded Pierce for Griffin. We will have to see long-term who got the better end of the deal.

Both clubs felt the other team overpaid to get their player. Griffin already posted a pro bowl caliber season in 2004 in DC, we will see what Pierce chips in in 2005.

Archived