Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FedEx Field rated low by TSN

Kilmer

Have been to a million O's games and a few Ravens games..... and it's like being on a different planet. Here are the major differences, just outside of the stadium:

1. Parking - there aren't just stadium lots, but garages too. If you don't like that, you can even take the light rail, which drops you off right in front of the stadium, not a 25-minute walk away. you can also park anywhere in the city, like Federal Hill (where I usually end up being able to park for free)... with FedEx, it's pay 100 bucks to park or put your walking shoes on... and before last year, your walking shoes wouldn't only get you to the edge of the parking lot because they wouldn't even let you in.

2- Setting - at FedEx it's strictly tailgating, which is great... I love tailgating. But that's your only option. What if it's raining, what if you are with people who aren't into drinking and don't want to hang out in the cold... at M&T you can tailgate OR you can walk downtown or to Federal Hill where there are an unlimited amount of restuarants and bars. the Ravens games I have been to we ended up drinking at a bar and watching the pre-game shows, etc.

3 - Congestion - I am out of Baltimore after a game in 5-10 minutes, if that. During a game at FedEx, even if it's pre-season, you can count on waiting for about an hour or maybe more.

Once inside, you have a huge jumbo tron and there are no bad seats.

I know I sound like a looney, but it's irritating to experience a gameday like that when your favorite team has something completely opposite.

Have been to a million O's games and a few Ravens games..... and it's like being on a different planet. Here are the major differences, just outside of the stadium:

1. Parking - there aren't just stadium lots, but garages too. If you don't like that, you can even take the light rail, which drops you off right in front of the stadium, not a 25-minute walk away. you can also park anywhere in the city, like Federal Hill (where I usually end up being able to park for free)... with FedEx, it's pay 100 bucks to park or put your walking shoes on... and before last year, your walking shoes wouldn't only get you to the edge of the parking lot because they wouldn't even let you in.

2- Setting - at FedEx it's strictly tailgating, which is great... I love tailgating. But that's your only option. What if it's raining, what if you are with people who aren't into drinking and don't want to hang out in the cold... at M&T you can tailgate OR you can walk downtown or to Federal Hill where there are an unlimited amount of restuarants and bars. the Ravens games I have been to we ended up drinking at a bar and watching the pre-game shows, etc.

3 - Congestion - I am out of Baltimore after a game in 5-10 minutes, if that. During a game at FedEx, even if it's pre-season, you can count on waiting for about an hour or maybe more.

Once inside, you have a huge jumbo tron and there are no bad seats.

I know I sound like a looney, but it's irritating to experience a gameday like that when your favorite team has something completely opposite.

Totally agree! That's yet another reason why I hate living here. The fans won't shut up about how great there stadium is. I agree it is nicer. BUT, I will NEVER say that to a Baltimore fan. Also, their stadium is so much smaller, but it's so much louder. I hate it.

These are all good things to ask Danny about during the extreme chat!

I do think winning makes everything look better, but nothing can save those god-awful chicken fingers. I don't understand why he can't contract that stuff out to a decent company--Danny could probably figure out how to make a mint on it. Jeeze, how about McDonalds? Just franchise it out!

Completely agree about the BS of them not letting you bring in ANYTHING. Guess that's why he makes the big money...

As for the location, can't blame Danny for that--that was the Squire's doing, wasn't it?

Still, so many things could be improved.

1. The mini-tron

2. The quality of the food (forget the prices)

3. Crazy idea--Danny should open some bar-restaurants on the land around fed ex--create a "redskins food court"--he'd make a mint off of people tailgating and eating before and after games.

4. More bathrooms

5. More access roads to fed ex (they're probably trying to do this...)

6. win some friggin games!!!!

The responses to this thread are pretty interesting, and FedEx could be better to be sure, but is anyone questioning Pompeii's methodology in this grading chart? Was there a accompanying article to the chart that I'm not seeing? I guess there are some things I agree with, but, looking at the categories for FedEx:

Architecture (2): OK, I won't debate this one much. JKC seemed to be in a hurry to get this operational and seemed to just slop this one up.

Energy level (8): Curiously higher than I thought, given the amount of complaining about the wine-and-cheesers on here. Maybe we are better than we think.

Sense of history (3): This one has me scratching my head. OK, I know perhaps there can more stuff at the stadium celebrating the Redskins past. But Reliant Stadium, which hosts a team which is 4 years old, rates a 6? QWest, home of a team which has been in for 30 years, gets a 7? Huh? What does Pompeii mean in this category?

Location (0): Although its vogue to build stadiums in downtown areas these days, I get sick of people complaining how long it takes to get in and out of FedEx. I've been to the Linc (gets a 5) and M&T (6) and you still face a good amount of traffic upon exiting the stadium. As Mike Wilbon says, make a day of it. Arrive early and leave late. Deal with it.......quit whining!

Condition (7): Probably accurate......FedEx is probably beginning to show its age a little but is fairly well maintained.

Game Day Experience (2): One would think this would correlate a lot with the energy level. I guess FedEx's "horrible" location (Pompeii would have you think its in Waldorf) and Snyder's insistance on advertisement overload left a bad taste in the reviewers mouth.

Oh well, that's my two cents. I always maintain that the fans can make the experience a better one.......I simply ask that they don't do the wave in the middle of a close game, and PLEASE don't walk in front of me while play is in progress. Your urge to empty your bladder/bowels or to stuff another hot dog down your piehole can wait until a break in the action!

Finally, in the words of Mark Kessler....."LOOOOOOOVE THAT CHICKEN FROM POPEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYES!"

These are all good things to ask Danny about during the extreme chat!

I do think winning makes everything look better, but nothing can save those god-awful chicken fingers. I don't understand why he can't contract that stuff out to a decent company--Danny could probably figure out how to make a mint on it. Jeeze, how about McDonalds? Just franchise it out!

Completely agree about the BS of them not letting you bring in ANYTHING. Guess that's why he makes the big money...

As for the location, can't blame Danny for that--that was the Squire's doing, wasn't it?

Still, so many things could be improved.

1. The mini-tron

2. The quality of the food (forget the prices)

3. Crazy idea--Danny should open some bar-restaurants on the land around fed ex--create a "redskins food court"--he'd make a mint off of people tailgating and eating before and after games.

4. More bathrooms

5. More access roads to fed ex (they're probably trying to do this...)

6. win some friggin games!!!!

HEEEEEEYYYY!! 1) It's the "Tiny-Tron" thank you very much. Sheesh, you'd think they'd actually be able to get the name right. :rolleyes:

2) The restriction on bringing in food is due solely to security concerns....nothing more. Just like with the prohibition on walking to the stadium.

Safety first lads!! I mean, you never know when some terrorist might bring in an exploding sub sandwich. The potential for carnage is unthinkable....mayo and luchmeat scattered all over the place. I'm sure you understand.

--D.S.

I like fed-ex i went to the vikings game last year and me and a few othe random redskins heros made some vikings fans leave they kept saying " gimme an f'n break the call was bullsh$#" after every penalty or good play the redskins made so when the HEY!! song came on every was goin duh na na na nah hey YOU SUCk! so the vikings fans left it was awesome fed-ex has a lot of comradery among fans

What do they mean by "Sense of History"

How can Raymond James have a 7 for sence of History, It's also only a couple years old, that belongs to a team only 30 years old. But Soldier field only gets a three for one of the oldest Stadiums and teams. :whoknows: :whoknows: :insane:

Okay.

Meanwhile thousands of people still buy tickets and even more 10 of thousands are waiting.

Goskins is excatly right all we have to do is win more games. STOP BUYING FOOD IN THE STADIUM! Just tailgate. If you are lucky like me then just metro to the game, or come to think of it park in a nice area next to the highway and metro from there?

About the minitron thats actually a question i asked to Snyder.

Basically if you dont like the experince save alot of money and sit at home. If you go then cheer your ass of and stop wineing... dam.

And of course i agree with all these complaints but thats life. Of course i wish fedex was in dc but what can we do about it now.

Watch some highlights of the eagles or ravens sunday night game and look at the stadium. I think its preety dam nice.

I will give fedex its props on the bratwurst, they are damn good!

I can't wait till Danny gets to build his stadium, I bet it will be awesome. You have to admit the one thing you can't say about him since buying the skins is he won't put the big bucks back into the team.

I had read somewhere that he would like to build a new stadium in about 10 years. I have no reference for this so consider it "rumor". If he ever gets to build one it will be the Taj Mahal of NFL stadiums.

HOF44

Bob

I did a paper in college on Fedex field. The reason why its so big and has so much concrete is that Jack Kent Cooke wanted it that way. He preferred that type of stadium, Moreover, JKC did privatly build the stadium with the skins taking no money from the public (with the exception being forced to take a mandatory 70 million from the state of Maryland for the transportation (road, parking, etc) costs). If you want to blame anyone for the parking at Fedex, blame the state. They were the ones in charge of that.

I've been to several NFL stadiums and FedEx is the worst. I think the number one thing I agree with here is the lack of "OUR HOUSE" feel. All the commercials, advertising, etc... it just sucks. Man- I wish we could play at RFK with those stands bouncing, the crowd right on top of the players, and the noise. Oh well, FedEx is what it is- a huge stadium to make lots of money for the Skins. Maybe our views will change when they start winning.

Archived