Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most athletic moment in sports?

Spaceman Spiff

Originally posted by TheDoyler23

An outfielder jumping at the fence to rob someone of a homer. If anywone saw Luis Matos' catch on Ortiz fly ball a few weeks ago. It was UNBELIEVEABLE.

18405233.jpg

Cmon...hes jumping up on a wall. Most sports don't have power assists!!

There have been so many great plays hard to single one out.But I can post about the luckiest sports play ever.A group was working with handicap kids and took them to a golf course in Roanoke Va. and give them lessons for half a day and went out and played around.They had TV cameras filming it and got a blind kid making a whole in one on 170yd par 3.Odds makers said 2 billion to 1 for a blind kid 1st day ever playing golf to make that shot.It was greatest shot ever made.

I can’t believe no on has mentioned Vince Carter jumping over the 7 footer and dunking the ball! It was the most unbelievable thing I’ve ever seen. :rubeyes:

The other most athletic play had to be that ATL vs. Min game a couple years ago when Vick ran for a touchdown for like 40 yards. He ran right between two linebackers, they both ran into each other because he was so fast. It was something straight out of a movie … it looked scripted it was so unbelievable.

In soccer I don't know if it has a name but when a play stretches out to kick the ball where both he and the inbound pass are off the ground. Not tip the ball forward, but actually strike it to change directly towards the net. These have always seemed much hard to pull off accurately then a diving header IMO.

Bicycle kicks look nice but they aren't that hard and they rely greatly on luck, being that you don't know what's behind you.

As for other sports.....

Football - When a running back gets hit hard at the line but stays on his feet. The power and balance needed to absorb a hit by a bigger guy like that is amazing. Also the diving goal line play where the RB and the LBs meet in the air....that's friggin awesome.

Basketball - Any of the amazing things Jordan was able to do. Anyone seen the highlight where he puts back the missed free throw? He moved so fast the other players had barely shifted and he had already scored the put back.

Baseball - I have to say that when pitchers catch the ball that is hit directly at them I am always impressed.

A barely 6 feet tall Kevin Johnson posterizing center Hakeem Olajuwon in the 1994 playoffs.

Jordan's switch of hands layup over Sam Perkins in the Magic vs. Michael finals in 1991.

Lynn Swann's acrobatic catch vs the Cowboys in one of the steelers' Superbowl victories over the boys.

Destino, hitingthe ball before it hits the ground is a full volley in soccer. While it looks prettier, it's actually easier than a half volley where one strikes a ball with force just as or just after it hits the ground. I know the going horizontal on the full volley looks impressive, but trust me hitting the half volley and not getting it sky high is much harder.

With the full volley, you put yourself on a level plain with the ball, so the ball doesn't sail. The ball coming down as you strike it is an advantage too as most people hit the top of the ball when they miss by just a little. On the half volley, the ball is going up when you hit it, so it's harder not to strike the botom of the ball sending it higher. Usually higher is over the goal. :-(

I'll be in the minority here of course, but I've always thought some of the things people do on skateboards is absolutely insane. I mean, has anyone ever tried this stuff? Those guys are sick... and incredible athletes.

stu_j03a.jpg

Originally posted by gbear

Destino, hitingthe ball before it hits the ground is a full volley in soccer. While it looks prettier, it's actually easier than a half volley where one strikes a ball with force just as or just after it hits the ground. I know the going horizontal on the full volley looks impressive, but trust me hitting the half volley and not getting it sky high is much harder.

With the full volley, you put yourself on a level plain with the ball, so the ball doesn't sail. The ball coming down as you strike it is an advantage too as most people hit the top of the ball when they miss by just a little. On the half volley, the ball is going up when you hit it, so it's harder not to strike the botom of the ball sending it higher. Usually higher is over the goal. :-(

Sorry about the lack of soccer lingo, I learned to play in spanish :) Also you make a good point, hitting the ball on one bounce is a bad situation for most player. The most common outcome it sending it sky high and second to that is the humiliating wiff. I've experienced both several times.

:mad:

Originally posted by MonkeySkin

Bo Jackson did some pretty tight stuff :D

Hell yeah... The barehanded catch. Throwing the ball on a line from the warning track in LF to home, no hops.... wow.

I also agree with Barry Sanders too... he did so many amazing moves.

Originally posted by TD_washingtonredskins

Along those same lines, one basketball play that is stuck in my memory is when John Starks drove baseline and dunked over two Bulls in the playoffs. Very ho-hum for MJ, but Starks is considerably shorter and less athletic than Jordan. It just really impressed me.

It should, considering the two Bulls players he dunked on were Jordan and Pippen. :laugh:

Originally posted by Destino

Baseball - I have to say that when pitchers catch the ball that is hit directly at them I am always impressed.

It's called preservation of life. :D It's supposed to be a fairly rare thing, but I know when I was still playing I was a damn ball magnet on the mound.

Warning: Went to bar after work tonight. That covers that. :chug: ( That and I just got hom a little over an hour ago).

Friend and I were talking at said bar and watching ESPN, and some MLB highlights were on. Pitcher delivers a a tailing fast ball and that sparks a conversation about the fastest pitch we had seen when playing, ( keeping in mind both of us played only till 17 or so. I think. ;) ). We'll not go into the speeds, :halo: but the general feeling was we'd be digging a foxhole or in the 3rd row as soon as a MLB pitch came by. Then of course the highlights of some "routine" grounders to 3rd or the outfield were played. Sparking more conversation. Point? ( Please PCS, have a Dew and get to it). Well, though not the greatest and certainly these guys are paid to do this stuff, seems to me that even some of the most routine stuff we see, ( grounders, the 15ft. jump shot, a catch over the middle or a quick pass to the out pattern, ) a good open field tackle are all incredibly athletic plays in sports. Hell,even the tee shot landing just left of center 300 + yards down the fairway is something. At least, in a relative way and at the most as athleticism goes. If they were that easy, we'd all be doing it, ( cue golfers in now. ;) ).

Originally posted by Clutch03

I can’t believe no on has mentioned Vince Carter jumping over the 7 footer and dunking the ball! It was the most unbelievable thing I’ve ever seen. :rubeyes:

The other most athletic play had to be that ATL vs. Min game a couple years ago when Vick ran for a touchdown for like 40 yards. He ran right between two linebackers, they both ran into each other because he was so fast. It was something straight out of a movie … it looked scripted it was so unbelievable.

I completely agree with the Vince Carter dunk... The guy was 7'2" - here it is.

http://addict3d.org/index.php?page=viewarticle&type=news&ID=6870

Archived