Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most athletic moment in sports?

Spaceman Spiff

Listening to the Junkies today in the car and briefly overheard their debate, though I'm not exactly sure what the original question was. I believe it had something to do with what the most athletic/exciting/awe inspiring moment in sports is. One of them was arguing a home run, a couple others were arguing a bicycle kick in soccer.

I haven't made up my mind, but the bicycle kick is pretty damn cool.

What do you all think?

Is it the most athletic moment in sports ever? Or the most athletic thing that can be done in sports?

Most athletic moment ever has to be something Michale Jordan did; (a few nominees: switch-hand layup in traffic, game winning shot against ______, free-throw line dunk)

Most athletic "maneuver" would probably be the slam dunk in basketball by average height guys. That just takes some serious athleticism to get up that high and spin around and all that!

Not sure I understand the question.

Completed hail mary for a TD at end of game (ex: BC versus UMiami).

Long (40+yd) run off tackle for a TD.

Blind side sack on a QB.

Interception with long return.

Walk off home run.

Diving catch in the outfield.

Triple play.

Made long range three pointer at buzzer.

Sorry if I don't understand the question.

I would have to say 5'3" Spud Webb dunking in Slam Dunk Contest back in the '80's. And he didn't just barely get it, he had almost up to his elbow over the rim. You would think something like that would be impossible for a man not even close to the average height for men.

I think they were just talking in general. Like I said, I didn't really hear the question that touched off the debate. I think they just meant most athletic thing that can be done in sports. They weren't really naming names or specific moments.

But good examples so far! Dr. J under the backboard was incredible.

I remember when Charles Woodson was at Michigan, he made a leaping onehanded interception that required simply impossible reflexes, leaping ability and coordination. I wish I could remember the exact stituation, but it was ridiculous.

As far as what type of athletic play is the most exciting, I would probably say a kickoff/punt return for a TD. But I'm biased toward football.

The diving catch in football is another good example. More specifically, stretching out to grab a long bomb and grasping the ball with your fingertips, and holding on to it as the wind is crushed out of your system by the impact with the ground. Any fingertip grab is pretty athletic, actually.

Bo Jackson throwing the dude out at home from the wall was an absolutely athletic moment that will not be forgotten.

I would almost agree with the kickoff/punt return for touchdown.

Stealing a home run on the run is up there for me too.

Goalie snagging a 100+ MPH slap shot out of the air is pretty athletic also.

In soccer I'd go with the diving header.

In football, there's the one-handed diving catch, the blocked punt, the multiple-broken-tackle run, and the interception/return.

For sheer entertainment purposes, there's the QB scrambling for dear life.

Originally posted by dg28daman

Dr. J's reverse layup from behind the basket. That thing was just sweet.

I agree. That was the most athletic thing I've seen. To be able to get up the high, go around people, switch hands and make the shot. Unbelievable

Originally posted by Grizz

I agree. That was the most athletic thing I've seen. To be able to get up the high, go around people, switch hands and make the shot. Unbelievable

He didn't switch hands ;)

But still...to travel that far, that high, and still have enough momentum and strength to spin that ball off the glass...freaking nuts.

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff

He didn't switch hands ;)

But still...to travel that far, that high, and still have enough momentum and strength to spin that ball off the glass...freaking nuts.

Along those same lines, one basketball play that is stuck in my memory is when John Starks drove baseline and dunked over two Bulls in the playoffs. Very ho-hum for MJ, but Starks is considerably shorter and less athletic than Jordan. It just really impressed me.

Darrell Green's punt return against Chicago in the 87 playoffs.

Spud Webb was 5'6", not 5'3". It was still amazing how huge his vertical leap was. Mugsy Bogues was the 5'3" guy, but couldn't dunk.

Archived