Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Arrington's statement regarding the shooting.

Art

Originally posted by Art

Really?

I can think of at least a dozen on memory that have.

Depends on the crowd, to be sure. But, this is not terribly abnormal.

Somehow when I read Fansince62's comment I knew that we would hear from Art on the subject. Art hasn't lived the same life that some others have. Not a judgement, just an observation. I've had shots fired into a house that I was living in, while I was there. The bullets passed through several walls. So I'm not making judgements.

Originally posted by Romberjo

Huh? I don't know what "in the line of fire to say" means, but assuming you mean that LaVar might face a non-frivolous suit if people other than the security guard were in the line of fire, please tell us what the cause of action (legal theory) would be.

If anyone's negligence contributed to the shooting, it would presumably be that of the security company LaVar hired -- and they would be independent contractors, so there would be no respondeat superior liability so LaVar wouldn't be liable for their conduct, even if it was negligent.

(I suppose it's conceivable that LaVar was or should have been aware that someone at the party was drinking too much and waving a gun around (muttering about ATV's) and that LaVar did or should have foreseen that something like the shooting might happen if he did not cut off the alcohol, but he nonetheless allowed the guy to continue drinking, and that drinking was a proximate cause of the shooting. But that seems extraordinarily unlikely.)

Of course we don't fully know what happened, but given the statement from the police and from LaVar it seems that he will face no sanctions, criminal, civil, or Redskinal.

Someone else posted that Lavar was in the process of shutting the party down, so maybe he didknow that things were getting out of hand, and was taking action.

We just don't know.

Originally posted by fansince62

"But, this is not terribly abnormal."

now Art...this is not the sort of factual argument you are so justly, and usually, proud of.......:-)......

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm neither proud nor upset about the fact I attended -- even hosted -- parties where guns were fired. I simply made the statement it's not all that terribly abnormal, depending on the crowd one has at the party.

Originally posted by Romberjo

Art, do tell: at those dozen-plus "parties where guns were fired," were they fired at people (or at Cowboy effigies, etc.)?

As a general statement, they were fired at fleeing people :).

Originally posted by Art

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm neither proud nor upset about the fact I attended -- even hosted -- parties where guns were fired. I simply made the statement it's not all that terribly abnormal, depending on the crowd one has at the party.

I would never not come to a party hosted by you my friend (if I was invited). But I would definately include kevlar;) .

Originally posted by flexxskins

I would never not come to a party hosted by you my friend (if I was invited). But I would definately include kevlar;) .

You needn't worry about my parties anymore, Flexx.

I now live in the world Al lives in where such incidents are shocking and implausible :). The only thing that will get smoked at one of my parties now is some brisket :).

Originally posted by Art

You needn't worry about my parties anymore, Flexx.

I now live in the world Al lives in where such incidents are shocking and implausible :). The only thing that will get smoked at one of my parties now is some brisket :).

Cool, the kevlar would'nt fit anymore anyway:D .

Art, Art, Art. Nothing in my world is shocking and implausible - especially after being subjected to your postings since pre-Extremeskins days! And after having been in real wars with real weapons.

You made a generalization with no amplifiing proof. Since you are ther first to call people on the caprpet for similar failings....you can follow the rest. As for the actual content - have at it! My experience doesn't square with yours. Then again, we all have choices to make in life!

Get back to the Skins man - the Skins!

Originally posted by fansince62

Art, Art, Art. Nothing in my world is shocking and implausible - especially after being subjected to your postings since pre-Extremeskins days! And after having been in real wars with real weapons.

You made a generalization with no amplifiing proof. Since you are ther first to call people on the caprpet for similar failings....you can follow the rest. As for the actual content - have at it! My experience doesn't square with yours. Then again, we all have choices to make in life!

Get back to the Skins man - the Skins!

Al,

There are times a man needs to learn to take past wounds and keep quiet. This, for you, is one of those times. As I said, with remarkable clarity, I've lived several parties where guns were fired. It's not all that abnormal a thing.

Why?

As you did nail, due to experiences that differ. What YOU failed to contemplate is such things occur. I did not fail to understand that to some, such things are surprising. Some things, though Al, aren't really important enough to get into. This, really, is ONE of those things.

So, don't ever make me waste time telling you to quit being a baby again. Is that too much to ask.

In entire regions of the world, gun fire at celebrations is PART of the celebration. In entire parts of this country, it is perfectly normal to take out guns and shoot them -- heck, every party in the country I've ever gone to has someone shooting at something.

And, even within some elements of urban society, gun play is fairly normal.

Enlightening you to the ways of the world based on personal experience really ought not be something that gets your hackles up. If, however, it is, then, I recommend you get back to those more important things you need to do, which, about now, is what you're going to say :).

Originally posted by Art

:doh: Just because it has happened, certainly doesn't mean it's normal. Clearly shootings at parties are abnormal. We don't hear about the parties where there are no shootings. We wouldn't know a thing about this party if there wasn't a shooting. Me and many of my friends own guns and we have all hosted and attended several parites, large and small. And not once has a gun been fired.

In fact, non-fatal shootings (which I think would accurately describe Taylor's and Arrington's situations - at least hopefully) are on the decline (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/firearmnonfatalno.htm), perhaps for everyone not associated with athletics.

LaVar's statement was predictable, but necessary. It sounds to me like LaVar tried to keep the peace but perhaps some uninvited "guests" got a little out of control.

Hail,

H

art....you really ought to practice more humility...at least once every millenium.

you have no clue how the rest of the world works much less what is going on this day. why make ridiculous claims you cannot back up? I realize you enjoy the fight for the fight's sake. It's your most endearing and *amning trait.

you are right about one thing. this is silly. as in all matters - I will defer to ego.

Archived