Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chad Morton signs with Pats

skin_finatic

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2091788

Updated: June 21, 2005, 6:52 PM ET

Johnnie was cut by Chiefs; Chad by Redskins

ESPN.com news services

The Morton brothers both found new NFL homes Tuesday.

The San Francisco 49ers signed wide receiver Johnnie Morton to a two-year contract and the New England Patriots agreed to a one-year deal with kick-returner Chad Morton on Tuesday. Chad Morton's deal is worth $600,000 plus another possible $600,000 in incentives, according to ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Johnnie Morton, an 11-year veteran, was cut earlier this month by the Kansas City Chiefs, while brother Chad was cut by the Washington Redskins.

"Johnnie is our kind of guy." 49ers coach Mike Nolan said. "He is a hard-working professional who will be a great example to our young receivers."

Kansas City recently signed wide receiver Freddie Mitchell, who was released by the Eagles this offseason.

In three seasons with the Chiefs, Johnnie Morton, signed as an unrestricted free agent in 2002, caught 134 passes for 1,932 yards and eight touchdowns in 43 appearances that included 42 starts. His average numbers in a Kansas City uniform -- 44.7 catches, 644 yards and 2.7 touchdowns -- are hardly reflective of the productive career he has enjoyed. In 2004, Morton had 55 receptions for 795 yards and three scores.

The Redskins signed Chad Morton away from the New York Jets as a restricted free agent before the 2003 season, giving him a five-year, $8 million deal.

Chad Morton averaged 22.4 yards on 16 kickoff returns and 6.2 yards on 13 punt returns last season before damaging a ligament in his knee in an Oct. 31 game against the Green Bay Packers.

Johnnie Morton, who played his first eight NFL seasons in Detroit, was one of the league's most productive receivers over a five-year stretch with the Lions. Between 1997 and 2001, Morton averaged 73.4 catches, 1,031.2 yards and four scores.

Included in that stretch were four 1,000-yard seasons and also three campaigns in which Morton, one of the NFL's best receivers in terms of adding yards after the catch, had 75 or more receptions. His first season in Kansas City, though, produced just 29 receptions, and his tenure there was largely disappointing.

Information from ESPN.com senior writer Len Pasquarelli was used in this report.

well, he's not 100% healthy. The Pats are banking on him returning to his 2002 form in a new setting. But they are a team that has shown patience with guys before and it has paid off.

remember that they signed Tyronne Poole when nobody else wanted him as his rep was 'Mr. Toast' as a corner, and then he puts in some very solid years for the club and helps win two Super Bowls before being sidelined in 2004.

Johnnie Morton at age 33 is yesterday's news.

When you get replaced by Freddie Mitchell you know Father Time is catching up with you :)

What else do you expect from San Francisco?

This is the team that gave average LT Jonas Jennings a $40 million contract :)

Johnnie Morton was more of a cap victim due to a 2.5 Mil cap hit this year.

when he was released by the Lions in 2002, Spurrier's first year, I was hoping we would go after him to add speed to our Gardner, Derrius Thompson combo.

Yeah, I can't imagine a worse place to go for Chad Morton. Bethel Johnson is an explosive KR and they have Troy Brown as a full-time PR. He won't even have a shot as a 3rd-down scat back since they have Kevin Faulk playing that role. I just don't see where he will fit in. If he signed that small a contract, why not join up with the Giants or Bucs, or at least someone with no established KR. I guess he wants a free ring...

Originally posted by jimster

Johnnie Morton was more of a cap victim due to a 2.5 Mil cap hit this year.

when he was released by the Lions in 2002, Spurrier's first year, I was hoping we would go after him to add speed to our Gardner, Derrius Thompson combo.

yeah, thats true .. makes me think that Morton is going to be the next Antonio Freeman. Solid player for much of his career but fell completely off after he left his long-time team.

wow, I hope Chad sucks it up there, I was a fan of the guy for maybe a few games back in 2003, then I hated what we gave up and paid to get him. I hope this is a good "loss by addition" for the Patriots, let Chad dance around a bunch, thatd help out special teams!!!

Probably a good pickup for the 49ers, they needed a veteran anyways.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Guess this means the Pats will win 2 more games this season, ( reference to Peter King story not to long ago for those who missed it).

Good point PCS. The Patsies were 14-2 last year so......................

Peter Queen predicts undefeated season for New England.

What a maroon.

Archived