Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Rams Release Kyle Turley

jimster

Controversial Offensive Tackle Released by Rams

Jun 8, 1:17 PM (ET) Email this Story

http://sports.iwon.com/news/06082005/v6348.html

By R.B. FALLSTROM

ST. LOUIS (AP) - Kyle Turley, who missed last season with a back injury and then clashed with coach Mike Martz in the offseason, has been released by the St. Louis Rams after failing a physical.

The offensive tackle was designated as waived, failed physical, by the team earlier this week, although there has been no official announcement. The Rams will take a salary cap hit of $1.82 million this year and $5.47 million in 2006.

The Rams on Wednesday also cleared wide receiver Isaac Bruce, who did not participate in the team's three-day minicamp over the weekend due to an abnormality in a heart test, to return to the field. The team expected Bruce to participate in organized team activities this week.

Turley started every game at right tackle in 2003 for the Rams after being acquired from the Saints for a second-round draft pick, but underwent surgery for a herniated disc in March 2004. He reinjured his back early in the 2004 training camp and was placed on injured reserve in late August.

Once at about 310 pounds, Turley was at about 235 pounds earlier in this offseason due to forced inactivity. He said he had added about 30 pounds but talked recently about playing a position such as tight end or fullback due to his diminished size.

The Rams filled Turley's spot in the lineup when they drafted offensive tackle Alex Barron in the first round of the draft. Turley did not appear at the team's three-day minicamp over last weekend.

Last December Turley, upset about a remark that the team hadn't seen him since he reinjured the back, engaged in a shouting match with Martz in the coach's office. Turley said then in a statement that there had been a "heated, unfortunately profane exchange" during which he said Martz had told him he had come to St. Louis "just to take the money and run."

Turley was a controversial player in New Orleans, known most for a helmet-tossing episode in 2001. Turley attacked Jets safety Damien Robinson when Robinson grabbed the face mask of Saints quarterback Aaron Brooks, ripping off Robinson's helmet and throwing it downfield.

He then made an obscene gesture that got him ejected. He also drew a 15-yard penalty that ended the Saints' final chance to tie or win the game.

Originally posted by Gilgamesh

Wow, he's almost smaller than Sean Taylor now...guess all of that clean living and heath food got him to 310... :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing. Wow, that's 75 pounds he lost. By sitting around? Sounds like the opposite if what would normally happen to an offensive lineman during inactivity.

If he'd play cheap and can stay healthy , I say take a fly on him. He's a passionate guy, and he's a guy who gets pissed when the QB gets hit. I know he's painted as a problem player, especially since he threatened Martz... but a guy like him, i think he threatened Martz (if he actuyally did) because he perceives Martz as a weak kneed wuss.

Martz had gone to the owner to beg her to tell the players to listen to him, how can you respect a coach that does that if you're a player like Turley?

I agree his back should be a major concern, but for a cheap price tag I think he'd be a help and not a hinderance, especially for a strong coach like Bugel.

~Bang

Originally posted by blakman211

dag, I want to get on whatever weight loss program he's on. Thats how he can make millions after football.

lol, its probably my back hurts so bad i can barely get out of bed to feed myself diet.

but i guess you and sid vicious could go around and put people in the human torture rack for cash.

Originally posted by Chachie

I was thinking the same thing. Wow, that's 75 pounds he lost. By sitting around? Sounds like the opposite if what would normally happen to an offensive lineman during inactivity.

How do you lose 75 lbs sitting around? That's what I was thinking. That sentence really strikes me as odd.

Originally posted by Die Hard

How do you lose 75 lbs sitting around? That's what I was thinking. That sentence really strikes me as odd.

He is probably one of those guys that HAS to workout to keep weight.

He may have gone to college looking to be a TE, and they just added 30-45 pounds on to him.

Add more weight in the NFL and I can see it. He doesn't look like your typical "fat guy" lineman, he seems much more lean.

So yeah probably no lifting is what caused it

Originally posted by Yusuf06

I know. How about we sign him for the veteran's minimum plus incentives ?

Good thing you reminded us that nobody had suggested that HHM.:D

Just making sure everything is normal over here on ES.com. :cheers:

Archived