AGN: Frustrated Lemons to move on

Shkspr

http://amarillo.com/stories/052905/dus_2015746.shtml

Amarillo Globe News, May 29, 2005

Beilue: Frustrated Lemons ready to move on with Dusters

By JON MARK BEILUE

sports@amarillo.com

Opinion

Devin Lemons was about to leave his residence in suburban Washington, D.C. two weeks ago, ready to turn the next page in his professional football life. He was heading for the airport to fly to Amarillo and then on to his hometown of Pampa.

Plans were to retrieve wife Nicole, and two young sons, Gabriel and Christopher, and move the family to the D.C. area. His future as a linebacker and special teams player with the Washington Redskins looked promising, secure enough anyway to commit to the move.

And then came the call.

"I got the call literally an hour before I was leaving for the airport,'' Lemons said.

That the former Texas Tech defensive end four days later was an Amarillo Duster, practicing at the Kids, Inc. Sports Complex on Osage meant the phone call was not good news. It was an example of the cold, political realities of professional sports.

The 6-2, 235-pound Lemons, who'd been given every indication by Redskins coaches that he would be fighting for a roster spot in July training camp, was released in an apparent front office decision.

"I was shocked the Redskins cut him,'' Dusters general manager Warren McCarty said.

So was Lemons, who thought he'd done what was expected of him to remain with Washington. About a year ago, he'd originally signed with the Dusters, but before the first game in May, the Redskins offered him a free-agent contract, which, of course, he jumped at.

He stayed on the practice squad in Joe Gibbs' return to the Redskins. For the last two games, he was elevated to the active roster and suited up. In the finale against the Vikings, Lemons was told he could start if Marcus Washington's knee continued to give him problems.

Washington played, leaving Lemons on the bench. But that was OK. He was making progress, had re-signed with the Redskins in the offseason, and now it was only a matter of time.

"You generally don't re-sign players who are on the bubble,'' McCarty said. "I thought Devin was about to establish himself in the NFL, play four years and get a pension.''

Special teams coach Danny Smith told Lemons he very likely would start on kickoff and punt teams. Linebacker coach Dale Lindsey indicated Lemons could push for a starting spot on the outside. Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams had said Lemons was one of his smartest players, a player he trusted.

"The disappointing thing is you get comfortable - comfortable may not be the best word - but confident in your chances to make the team and then something like this happens and you get completely blindsided,'' Lemons said.

"You're told one thing all along by some trustworthy people, and then for a decision to be made that catches them off-guard it makes you wonder if you'll ever get a fair shake, a fair shot to get on the field actually show what you can do in a game.''

Lemons said he was told the Redskins were keeping only seven linebackers, and needed to make room for two more taken in the draft. But a week later, Washington signed former A&M linebacker Warrick Holdman.

"It didn't make sense to me,'' he said.

Lemons got calls from Lindsey, Williams, and even Gibbs, all saying they didn't know it was coming. The implication being the decision came from the player personnel side.

But what is done is done. There was no time for self-pity. Two days later, May 17, McCarty opened up his cell phone. It was Lemons. Was there a spot on the Dusters available?

"One of the best phone calls I've gotten all year,'' McCarty said.

Maybe there was some boiling frustration he needed to get out - "I just wanted to get on the field and hit somebody,'' he said - and a bad aftertaste of cutthroat pro football that he needed to rinse away. The Dusters provided that. And Lemons was at his first practice only four days after his NFL bubble was popped.

"Quite frankly, I'm a little tired of the runaround, the political side of professional sports,'' he said. "It's in every professional sport, not just football. If you haven't been there to experience it first-hand, or know somebody who has, you really can't understand what goes on.''

He should provide a huge lift to the Dusters, at linebacker and some fullback. He gives Amarillo not only some NFl talent, but a presence, some leadership even though Saturday's game was only his second.

"The biggest thing is the way he carries himself,'' McCarty said. "We always talk about the next level. He's been there and done all that, and you can by the way he speaks, the way he carries himself.''

Lemons isn't using his time with the Dusters as a springboard, nor is this some kind of post-NFL gridiron therapy. He's serious about his stay.

"My heart is completely into it,'' he said. "I'm never going to commit to something, have people count on me and not give 100 percent. It's not fair to them and it's not fair to me. I'm not that type of person. Whatever they need me to do, I'm going to step up and do it.''

---------------

So Devin Lemons signed up with the local af2 team, which is fine, but what struck me about the article were two entries I've highlighted above:

-Seven appears to be the magic number for linebackers, which would seem to indicate that if both draft picks make the roster, then only one of Clifton Smith, Khary Campbell, Brian Allen, and Chris Clemons will join them.

-If Lemons is telling the truth, why weren't Williams and Gibbs informed of the cut? If he's lying, then...well, why lie and say Gibbs called?

Oh, and hi, everybody.

Nice first post...thanks.

Now, the only problem with the FO aspect of this story is that we're only getting one-side of the story. Let's see what the organization has to say before making a judgement.

Unless it was strictly a $$$ problem, I couldn't possibly think the coaching staff would really be in the dark.

Maybe when they said "they didn't know it was coming" they meant they didn't think Holdman would be available... thus they didn't think they'd be in a position to have to cut Lemons?

That's one theory, the other is that this is an understandably biased story of sour grapes. I don't believe the coaches would be surprised by a player being cut.

I suspect that the "didn't see it coming" comments stem from the loss of Pierce, and the non-progress of Barrow, forcing the Redskins to add more MLB candidates and reduce OLB candidates. Lemons is the odd man out. It's a very tough business. What I tell you today may be the gods honest truth today, but things can change tomorrow.

Originally posted by chrisavery72

So who do you think the 5 LBs will be? Besides the 2 starters? (Arrington and Washington)

I would think Arrington, Washington, Holdman, Marshall, McCune, Newberry and probably Brian Allen.

The coaches seemed excited about Zach Keasey who played at Princeton with Greg Williams son so he could be kept on the roster and not activated on game day maybe, or PS.

Clemons may be officially listed as a DE.

Originally posted by Shkspr

Lemons said he was told the Redskins were keeping only seven linebackers, and needed to make room for two more taken in the draft. But a week later, Washington signed former A&M linebacker Warrick Holdman.[/color]

"It didn't make sense to me,'' he said.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Holdman > Lemons

In this case, the implication that the coaching staff was unaware of, or not on board with the signing of Warrick Holdman seems inplausible. Blache and Lindsey both coached Holdman and lobbied last year to bring him to Washington. I think this is an example of a small town reporter, with little understanding of the Redskins, misconstruing a statement by Lemons or his agent.

I don't think Lemons was dropped to get Holdman; Lemons was dropped because of Newberry and McCune. The thing that bothers me about his statement isn't that he feels slighted he was let go - it's the claim that Gibbs and Williams called to say they didn't know it was coming.

If Gibbs signed off on the release, why would Lemons say that? Why wouldn't he express his frustration and disappointment that Gibbs and Williams misled him? THAT seems like the sour grapes I would expect (and not care about) if the Turk were sent by Gibbs.

If the buck stops with Coach Gibbs, then that's who Lemons should be frustrated with. But Lemons blames Cerrato, and not Gibbs, and that's what I don't get.

Ah, well, it matters not. Next Dusters game I go to, I'll root for Devin for a few plays, until the dance team shows up in their black-bikini-and-chaps ensemble, anyway.

Lemons played all of ONE game last year. He was by no means secure when it comes to a roster spot prior to the draft.

After McCune and Newberry were drafted plus Holdman and Allen being signed, Lemons should thank the Redskins for cutting him now so he could find another team rather than cutting him in preseason.

My question is, why does anyone care if a glorified special teams player,, a marginal linebacker likely to not have made the team,,.. why does anyone care if he has sour grapes anyway?

Here's your bus ticket junior.

Hit the road!

~Bang

Originally posted by Shkspr

I don't think Lemons was dropped to get Holdman; Lemons was dropped because of Newberry and McCune. The thing that bothers me about his statement isn't that he feels slighted he was let go - it's the claim that Gibbs and Williams called to say they didn't know it was coming.

If Gibbs signed off on the release, why would Lemons say that? Why wouldn't he express his frustration and disappointment that Gibbs and Williams misled him? THAT seems like the sour grapes I would expect (and not care about) if the Turk were sent by Gibbs.

If the buck stops with Coach Gibbs, then that's who Lemons should be frustrated with. But Lemons blames Cerrato, and not Gibbs, and that's what I don't get.

Ah, well, it matters not. Next Dusters game I go to, I'll root for Devin for a few plays, until the dance team shows up in their black-bikini-and-chaps ensemble, anyway.

As has been said in this thread, only if you believe the implication created by the writer -- perhaps through Lemons -- would this be a statement of concern. It's as simple as calling the player and telling him they didn't see it coming, which means, they thought he would have a real shot at the roster, but, the draft fell in such a way as the team acquired players it believes are better than he was, so, they didn't see that coming and have to release him now.

My gut tells me that this bit about Gibbs is completely out of context. I think it's an honest mistake by the paper/Lemons. I'm sure the Amarillo Globe News doesn't follow the Redskins front office enough to even have an opinion.

When Holdman became available he was expendable....as simple as 'dat! Life ain't always fair and just.

I wish him the best of luck this season for the "Dusters" and "Shkspr" if you have any photos of the "dance team" that "shows up in their black-bikini-and-chaps ensemble" please post them... Thanks! :cool:

Archived