Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Student suspended for a WHITE TSHIRT

Spaceman Spiff

I seriously doubt the kid was suspended without a warning first. I know here we have dress codes and the principal is given discretion to decide if something is gang related. If he determines it is,the student must correct it[have someone bring a change of clothes] or leave school.

IF this kid had already been warned he deserves a suspesion. Not enough facts here.

Originally posted by codeorama

If I started a gang, and all of us carried around Light Sabers, then the schools are going to ban them, regarless of how normal it would be for us to carry our Light Sabers around with us.

can i be in this gang please? just don't make me one of the pansies that mace took w/ him to face the emperor.

Pretty soon all color and forms of expression will be illegal. We'll have to take medication to sedate our feelings so that we can think more logically rather than emotionally, because without emotion there can be no violence, hatred or war..........failure to adhere to these new rules will be punishable by death in a furnace. Science fiction will become reality before we know it. :(

Originally posted by sonsofwashington

I want to be a part of this gang. But only if I get to be Yoda.

Desire very much I do.

Wield a saber properly indeed I can.

HELL yeah, you're in...

Originally posted by Mr. S

Ill form the Lord of the Rings gang, all of us carrying around our swords, bows, magical staffs, or other weaponry. Then we can finally have the Gandalf the White vs. Yoda issue resolved.

Don't you guys dare go to the mall... that's our turf...

Originally posted by dviands

can i be in this gang please? just don't make me one of the pansies that mace took w/ him to face the emperor.

Absolutley... You can be my Sith Apprentice... Together, we will rule the mall...

Originally posted by Larry

"The white t-shirt is a symbol of rebelion against authority, first used by James Dean."

What is this, 1958? I'm guessing the kid participated in knife fights and played chicken in his early model Buick as well. :rolleyes:

Unless there is a specific gang that wears white t-shirts and this kid is associated with them, this is a dumb suspension. I know baggy white t-shirts are the "in" thing for a lot of kids.

Don't you guys dare go to the mall... that's our turf...

Fair enough, we'll take the Movie Theater though, and the bowling alley just for kicks.

Now, I think a rumble would have to go down for who gets FedEx...

redskins4life234 is an official Ent, since you asked first, you get to be Treebeard.

Guest Gichin13

Where is Kilmer? The thread just does not have the umpf without unmitigated support for actions of authority.

Update:

It looks like the student was suspended for being disruptive. However, the T-Shirts look to be the underlying cause.

And the confederate flag is ok but a plain white t-shirt is not?

http://www.roxboro-courier.com/newsnowstories/ts050405-4.htm

TOP STORIES

NMS principal says student's suspension was for disorderly conduct, not retaliation - 5/4/05

By PHYLISS BOATWRIGHT, C-T Staff Writer

Last week, a 13-year-old student was suspended from Northern Middle School and his mother has claimed, in an article in the Durham Herald-Sun, that her son’s suspension came as a result of retaliation by the school district. School officials deny that claim, however.

Lenora Wilson is quoted in Saturday’s Herald-Sun as saying her son was suspended after Wilson contacted the newspaper the day before. In Friday’s edition of the paper, Wilson is quoted as saying she disagreed with NMS Principal Kelly Gentry’s decision to suspend her son for wearing a white T-shirt to school. White T-shirts, which have been linked to gangs and gang activity, are not permitted under the school district’s dress code, which prohibits visible undergarments.

The Courier-Times attempted to reach the student's parents Tuesday, but was unsuccessful.

Principal Gentry told The Courier-Times on Tuesday that Laquan Wilson’s suspension did not come as a form of retaliation. In fact, said Gentry, the student was actually suspended on Thursday, the day he wore the T-shirt to school and refused to follow the dress code rules. The student was not suspended for a dress code violation however, Gentry explained. He was suspended for being disorderly and disruptive.

She said Laquan, who is black, was sent out of class by a teacher, whom she noted was also black, for wearing the T-shirt. The teacher, said Gentry, asked Laquan to put on a jacket over the shirt, or to take off the white T-shirt. He was wearing a red shirt underneath the white one, said Gentry. The combination of the two colors has also been linked to gangs.

In The Herald-Sun, Lenora Wilson is quoted as saying her son had earlier had a confrontation with a white student who was wearing a shirt sporting the Confederate flag. She said she told her son that he could wear a white T-shirt if other students could wear Confederate flag images.

The Confederate flags were banned at Person High School a couple years ago, after the images were responsible for disruptions in classes there. Middle schools in the county have no such ban as yet.

School Resource Officer Sgt. Kevin Crabtree was called last Thursday after Laquan Wilson refused to obey the teacher and, according to Gentry, became belligerent. Laquan was again given the opportunity to cover up the shirt or take it off, said Gentry. When he refused, Crabtree took Laquan to Gentry’s office, where the student was again given options concerning the white T-shirt. Gentry said the student again became belligerent and she suspended him for being disorderly.

Gentry said she contacted Laquan’s father Thursday, and told him that his son had been suspended. The principal then asked the father to pick up his son from school. Carlos Wilson, said Gentry, told her he could not get to the school that day to pick up his son, and asked if Laquan could stay in school Thursday if he wore his jacket.

Gentry said she told the father his son could stay in school Thursday if he covered up the white T-shirt, but explained that the suspension for being disorderly would be moved to Friday. Gentry said, at the time of the conversation, she thought the parents understood the situation and were agreeable to it.

Since the article appeared in the newspaper, said Gentry, other students have gotten into the act and, on Tuesday, she had 15 students dressed in white T-shirts. She said teachers on Monday had reported seeing children in the halls, reading the newspaper article and planning to wear the white T-shirts.

On Tuesday, during an intramural activity that Gentry said was supposed to be quality time in which students are allowed to participate in fun events, Laquan and his twin brother were both wearing white T-shirts. Assistant Principal Jody Ray asked the students to remove or cover up the shirts, said Gentry, and they refused. The situation became heated, said Gentry, and the students were removed from the school grounds by Sgt. Crabtree and taken to the Person County Law Enforcement Center.

Gentry said she regretted that, so close to the end of school, when students should be focusing on end-of-grade tests and going onto high school, needless disruptions were causing the focus to shift.

"This is affecting all the kids," said Gentry, "and I feel bad that it’s happening." But, she said, "the dress code is enforced," no matter who the child is or what color that child is.

In enforcing the dress code, she said, it is never her intent to suspend a student. Suspension, she said, comes only after students have become disruptive.

Gentry said she had gone into all eighth-grade classrooms and explained the school’s dress code to students. Students and parents were apprised of the dress code at the beginning of the year, she said, as well as in parent-teacher conferences.

"This is not something new," she said. "They (students) think they’re going to change it, but I am following policy" set by the Person County Board of Education. Gentry said this was the first time the dress code had been a problem at Northern.

Fair enough, we'll take the Movie Theater though, and the bowling alley just for kicks.

Now, I think a rumble would have to go down for who gets FedEx...

redskins4life234 is an official Ent, since you asked first, you get to be Treebeard.

You're probably right....

Is it going to be a real rumble or one of those like in the "beat it" video?

You're probably right....

Is it going to be a real rumble or one of those like in the "beat it" video?

(Mr. S will respond as soon as he downloads and watches the "beat it' video.)

Alright, after seeing that music video, if Michael Jackson ever gets through his lawsuit and out of whatever jailtime he faces and wants to intercede in our rumble, then I say we go for it!

On the other hand, im outnumbered with only one supporter...

Originally posted by Mickalino

Maybe the article got it wrong.

Maybe it wasn't actually a white T-Shirt,

but it was a shirt for the "Fighting Whiteys" team.

OK, so it's bad taste:

After the Rodney King verdict, I saw an editorial cartoon. Redneck-looking guy, with a blade of grass sticking out of his mouth. Police cap, badge reading "LAPD", and t-shirt reading "White men can't jump, but they can beat a black man sensless in front of witnesses and get aquitted"

Alright, after seeing that music video, if Michael Jackson ever gets through his lawsuit and out of whatever jailtime he faces and wants to intercede in our rumble, then I say we go for it!

On the other hand, im outnumbered with only one supporter...

:laugh:

I'll force my apprentice to "get down and boogie" with you....:doh: :laugh:

http://zerointelligence.net/archives/cat_north_carolina.php

Plain T-shirts forbidden in Person County schools

Person County Student Suspended For Wearing White T-Shirt

With all of the chaos caused by imprinted t-shirts and free speech issues you would think a school would welcome plain ones. Not so in the Person County School District where a student was suspended for wearing a plain white shirt.

A Person County mother ... claims the school unfairly suspended her son for 10 days -- just for wearing a white T-shirt.

But school administrators interpreted the T-shirt as a gang symbol and therefore as a direct violation to school dress codes.

The district policy does forbid "Clothing that promotes gang affiliation" but gives no indication of what that clothing might be, leaving literally everything open to interpretation.

Do they also interpret vanilla ice cream as "gang food" and white paper as "gang supplies"?

Archived