Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Student suspended for a WHITE TSHIRT

Spaceman Spiff

Person County Student Suspended For Wearing White T-Shirt

POSTED: 4:52 pm EDT May 4, 2005

PERSON COUNTY, N.C. -- A Person County mother is appealing her son's suspension.

She claims the school unfairly suspended her son for 10 days -- just for wearing a white T-shirt.

The woman claims her son did not violate school dress codes.

But school administrators interpreted the T-shirt as a gang symbol and therefore as a direct violation to school dress codes.

http://www.wral.com/news/4450223/detail.html

Not enough detail, BUT, if the schools dress code policy says "No white t shirts to be worn by themselves etc..." then what's the problem?

If the parent doesnt' like it, send the child somewhere else.

Gangs are becoming a huge issue.

Originally posted by codeorama

Not enough detail, BUT, if the schools dress code policy says "No white t shirts to be worn by themselves etc..." then what's the problem?

If the parent doesnt' like it, send the child somewhere else.

Gangs are becoming a huge issue.

I agree 100%.

I think we should put everyone in private schools then we won't be starting these threads :D

Let's face it, there are lots of personal spins that can be put on this.

"A white t-shirt is underwear. And the dress code prohibits exposed underwear."

"The white t-shirt is a symbol of rebelion against authority, first used by James Dean."

"The shirt is clearly a symbol advocating white supremacy".

"Clearly, the student is making reference to a situation, years ago, when the Principal was forced to flee a whorehouse in his underwear to avoid a police raid."

First, Can anybody show me where White T-shirt is considered Gang Related, because I thought the gang related colors were RED, BLUE, & BLACK- I don't think white ts are gang related just a new Hip-Hop trend, but there could be a local gang(in N.C.) that wheres white Ts, it wouldn't surprise me.

But if this is true then it is sad, soon School Uniforms are going to represent some gang somewhere.

Originally posted by dahurt002

First, Can anybody show me where White T-shirt is considered Gang Related, because I thought the gang related colors were RED, BLUE, & BLACK- I don't think white ts are gang related just a new Hip-Hop trend, but there could be a local gang(in N.C.) that wheres white Ts, it wouldn't surprise me.

But if this is true then it is sad, soon School Uniforms are going to represent some gang somewhere.

Down here in nc the young guys are wearing white tees..to hide there guns....clubs wont let you get in with a white t either...the real question is (if the student was black) does she suspend all the other students who wera them as well.....

Originally posted by sonsofwashington

Explain. Does a white t-shirt hide a gun better than a colored t-shirt? What is it about the white t-shirt that hides the gun better?

It's the baggy clothing.

Here in Va, we have a gang identification course we went to for the school system and we learned about the gangs that have shown up in the areas close to us. White T shirts are not one of the "signs" here, but is in other areas. Blue and Red bandana's are signs in this area and are banned from schools in the area, though not mine in particular, because we luckily haven't had any incidents yet.

Each area is different.

If signs of gang activities show up, people are going to be all over it. We already have a gang task force in our area based solely on the fact that there COULD be a problem in the future.

I could definitely understand where the assumption of a white t-shirt being a gang symbol came from, but it still makes no sense to me. It probably comes from a popular rap song called, "White Tee", the hook to the songs goes "I look clean in my White Tee! I slang in my White Tee, I bang in my white tee, all in the club spittin' game in my white tee! I bling in my white tee, serve fiends in my white tee!". But there's no solid evidence that I've seen pointing at that song being a gang based song. There was even a counter to that song where the people said the same thing about their black tee, does that mean we ban black shirts? I like black t-shirts. What about the counter to both of these songs, if was reppin' the throwback jerseys, pretty much using similar lyrics. Does that mean when I wear my Doug Williams throwback I'm a gangbanger?

It's a white t-shirt, unless he was doing gang signs or had recent run-ins with authorities in his school about perceived gang activity. But if it was just a white tee then, WTF?

OK guys here's the deal on the White Tee's....I am not familiar with the particular incident, but I am a criminal justice planner for the State of DE and all states and education programs are starting to recognize the wearing of the white-tee's as gang related activity in the same way they regard bandanas. The white tee-shirt phenom, as best I can remember, hit the urban scene nationwide in '98 when the crews from cashmoney records were scene wearing them all the time. They are dirt cheap, can be purchased on any corner in the urban market for cheap and the fad saturated the rural market just as quickly as the urban market. The use of the white-tee and other assorted colors (solid only) have been linked to many things such as street crew uniforms (white for eastside /black for Westside etc.) The law enforcement world recognized the dual use of the fashion fad a couple years ago and it's finally being recognized at the education administration level. Here's my best guess at what probably happened: The education administrator probably attended a conference where it was brought up and came back to the school with the watchful eye and made this student the first example. Problem is: the conferences rarely touch on the fact that this is a dual fad. Just as it is used by the g-code, it is also used meaninglessly by regular folk. In closing I will give you a short scenario of what happens daily with the dress code and it may help you understand more. for those of you that live in DC or an urban area picture this: There is a violent attach in the middle of a neighborhood, a passerby or a concerned resident of the community phones the police and give the following description: young black male between 18-25 with a white T-shirt and baggy jeans. When the officers respond, how many suspects would he/she find?

Originally posted by codeorama

If I started a gang, and all of us carried around Light Sabers, then the schools are going to ban them, regarless of how normal it would be for us to carry our Light Sabers around with us.

Ill form the Lord of the Rings gang, all of us carrying around our swords, bows, magical staffs, or other weaponry. Then we can finally have the Gandalf the White vs. Yoda issue resolved.

Y'know, just a minor point, here.

Since when did wearing the same clothes as some gang members in California constitute probaple cause that a crime has been committed?

If we were to reveal that most gang members use a fork while eating lunch, do we ban forks from the cafeteria? (Question: Are "sporks" still big in school cafeterias?)

Many gang members carry wallets. Obviously wallets must be banned.

Here's a novel idea: Why not prosecute people who break the law, and not because they wore a solid-color shirt? (Or because they like to look at dirty pictures, and child molesters like dirty pictures, too. Or because somebody heard them listening to rap music in the parking lot.)

(Now, I have no problem with the police using clothing or similar clues for profiling. If, say, there's a gang in LA that wears Raiders t-shirts and silver necklaces, and you also happen to like wearing the same things, and you're trying to get on an airplane, don't complain if they hapen to pick you to get searched. It's their job to make judgement calls.)

But it's another thing entirely to tell the Raiders fan that he's not allowed in the airport. (Or school. Or shopping mall.)

Archived