Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

You're right - they aren't good. For the record, I was ready for them to sell the second Encarnacion's HR was given up in Toronto to end the 2016 season. I just doubt that this group of below-average to average players would really replicate a historically bad season like this. Could I see them going 68-94 or 72-90? Absolutely...but likely losing 110 games? A collection of AAAA players might not even do that. 

Maybe the putrid season was a blessing though. If we were 6 games under .500 right now, we might not see enough of a fire sale. 

I agree.  This should be a wakeup call to sell off as much as we can.  If we were close to .500 I don't think Angelos would sign off on any trades.  

I thought this was exactly what you said, a 68-72 win team.  I thought that if everything broke their way they could be .500.  I didn't think they'd be this terrible but looking back on it it's not surprising that they are.

39 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's easy to overlook because it's easier to talk about the pitching and hitting, but the defense is terrible, too.  No one can cover any ground.  The infield is Swiss cheese. 

Timely article I just saw: 

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/mlb/2018/7/5/17536062/baltimore-orioles-worst-defense-manny-machado-adam-jones

The big question for me: Does ownership and the front office learn anything from the last two seasons? 

I ask because they have done so many things wrong recently that seem so obvious to pretty much everyone outside the organization. From blocking trades, handcuffing DD, really poor  money allocation on assets, the idiocy on rule-5 players, and really poor roster construction, there have been so many mistakes. 

One example is if the O’s has made the trade last season for Britton to Houston and this off-season for Manny to the Cubs (based on rumored players), instead of asking for absurd returns, the O’s would have a potential long term 3rd baseman, a good SS under control for a few years and a young OF who is playing great this season in Moran, Russell and Almora Jr among other potential players in the deals. This frustrates me the most because it’s a combination of so many issues and the O’s would be in a much better place in so many ways if this had occurred. I’m still dumbfounded that they expected two possible MLB ready rotation pieceS for Manny in the winter. Heck, even if they didn’t trade him to the Cubs, get the best deal no matter which team you trade him to and don’t eliminate teams cause you personally don’t like them.

Anyway, I don’t think the O’s will actually learn from their mistakes given the total lack of international signings. This team should have been rebuilt on the fly and it shouldn’t have been this difficult.

19 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I have zero problems moving Manny to SS cause it increased his in season trade value. Not moving Adam Jones is an example of the team making moves based on feelings. Mancini playing the OF is a perfect example of poor allocation of resources. He’s made to be a first baseman, DH and maybe emergency back up OF. Instead the O’s blocked him with CD and Trumbo.

There is no excuse for Mullins not to be in CF today and tell Jones to get to RF. Immediately a big OF upgrade.

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

The thing is our starting pitchers aren't that good. And our bats are cold as ice. Sisco hasn't progressed like we expected. Schoop has fallen off big time. Pretty much every bat has gone cold except Machado and Jones. It's a putrid team.

I'm relatively happy with the starting pitching. Bundy's been an ace except for one of the worst starts ever in baseball. I'm still amazed it happened but it is par for the course this season. Gausman has finally had a good first half of the season. Cashner has been better than I thought he would be. He's a solid 4/5 pitcher. 

Cobb has been a roller coaster. Started out terrible and has some good starts mixed in with terrible ones since. He was hosed by the umps last start.

Now, throw in that these guys know they have to be perfect to win and that the defense is terrible. Given that, I'm good with the starters and I'm happy to see young pitchers mixed in

7 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Pretty sure the Orioles are gonna win tonight!

Why would you think that?  You have a 28.2% of being right. 

Im going to see the Os play the Twinkies tomorrow night.  Hoping for a Bundy complete game shutout. Might be the only way they can win.

23 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Why would you think that?  You have a 28.2% of being right. 

Im going to see the Os play the Twinkies tomorrow night.  Hoping for a Bundy complete game shutout. Might be the only way they can win.

Because Cashner is pitching and he has filthy stuff!  Nah frankly I just think they are due and the Twins aren't that good.

Orioles are +128, if I weren't currently in GA I would place a Franklin on them.

39 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Because Cashner is pitching and he has filthy stuff!  Nah frankly I just think they are due and the Twins aren't that good.

Orioles are +128, if I weren't currently in GA I would place a Franklin on them.

You have more faith in them than I do (or more money or both :) ).  I do agree that they’re due, but I’ve been thinking that most of the year.

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

You laugh, but Cashner has posted a quality start in 4 out of his last 5 starts, and the only time he didn't I think was because the rain delay against the Nats (did not allow a run through 4 innings)  

5 hours ago, Hersh said:

The big question for me: Does ownership and the front office learn anything from the last two seasons? 

I ask because they have done so many things wrong recently that seem so obvious to pretty much everyone outside the organization. From blocking trades, handcuffing DD, really poor  money allocation on assets, the idiocy on rule-5 players, and really poor roster construction, there have been so many mistakes. 

One example is if the O’s has made the trade last season for Britton to Houston and this off-season for Manny to the Cubs (based on rumored players), instead of asking for absurd returns, the O’s would have a potential long term 3rd baseman, a good SS under control for a few years and a young OF who is playing great this season in Moran, Russell and Almora Jr among other potential players in the deals. This frustrates me the most because it’s a combination of so many issues and the O’s would be in a much better place in so many ways if this had occurred. I’m still dumbfounded that they expected two possible MLB ready rotation pieceS for Manny in the winter. Heck, even if they didn’t trade him to the Cubs, get the best deal no matter which team you trade him to and don’t eliminate teams cause you personally don’t like them.

Anyway, I don’t think the O’s will actually learn from their mistakes given the total lack of international signings. This team should have been rebuilt on the fly and it shouldn’t have been this difficult.

I have zero problems moving Manny to SS cause it increased his in season trade value. Not moving Adam Jones is an example of the team making moves based on feelings. Mancini playing the OF is a perfect example of poor allocation of resources. He’s made to be a first baseman, DH and maybe emergency back up OF. Instead the O’s blocked him with CD and Trumbo.

There is no excuse for Mullins not to be in CF today and tell Jones to get to RF. Immediately a big OF upgrade.

I don't think this FO learns.  I think DD has been hamstrung by ownership.

Anyway, I had zero problems moving Manny to SS because I thought he'd be an adept SS but he's not.  That article stated it perfectly, he's a 6 win player with the bat this year, a -2 win player with the glove.  Anyone trading for Manny in the coming weeks isn't trading for his defense, and will most likely be taking a hit on defense by trotting Manny out to SS.  They're trading for his bat and the fact that Manny still has time on his side, his youthfulness and athleticism in hopes that he might be an adequate SS one day.

He's got more value at 3rd, but even in the past couple seasons he wasn't the all-world 3rd baseman he was when he first came up.  Manny might be turning into Hanley Ramirez 2.0 a really solid, sometimes great bat with no position.  Taking this into consideration, I am kind of happy he will no longer be our problem.  I'd only want him here if he'd play 3rd.

5 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I knew it was bad, I didn't know it was that bad.  Hersh is right, Mullins should be up just to provide defense.  All reports are that he's a really good defender.  They drafted the best defender in college, Cadyn Grenier, a SS. Hopefully he moves up through the organization quickly.  

43 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

You laugh, but Cashner has posted a quality start in 4 out of his last 5 starts, and the only time he didn't I think was because the rain delay against the Nats (did not allow a run through 4 innings)  

Oh I know, I was half serious.

Orioles bats have shown up tonight! Sike! They suck!

Just got back from the game.  What a lackluster performance.  No energy, no passion.  Nothing.  Just a bad team playing out the string.  I’m not sure if I want them to bring up the youngsters to play with this group.  Maybe they’d inject energy but maybe they’d get sucked into the morass that is the 2018 Baltimore Orioles.

2 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Just got back from the game.  What a lackluster performance.  No energy, no passion.  Nothing.  Just a bad team playing out the string.  I’m not sure if I want them to bring up the youngsters to play with this group.  Maybe they’d inject energy but maybe they’d get sucked into the morass that is the 2018 Baltimore Orioles.

The young guys would be immune from it. I was at the Tides game and Mullin accounted for the only run (lead off home run) in a 1-0 win. Also had a great diving catch. Get him up ASAP 

When O’s fans are predicting bad pitches having great nights against the O’s and being right all the time...

I can’t wait for more changes.

At least the O’s did a good job signing their draft picks 

11 hours ago, Hersh said:

When O’s fans are predicting bad pitches having great nights against the O’s and being right all the time...

I can’t wait for more changes.

At least the O’s did a good job signing their draft picks 

At this point it doesn’t matter who the other team rolls out there.  A struggling vet, a guy just brought up, etc.  we can make anyone look good.  Seems like all of the recent series have been against a team coming in on a losing streak and ending the season on a winning one.  Imagine that.

Seriously, are we going to set the all time record for worst season ever? This is embarrassing. First the 0-21, then 30-3 and now this? I’ve always been loyal to my teams, but I’m beginning to question if I want to be a fan of this team. I grew up rooting for this team, but god damn. Enough is enough.

7 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Seriously, are we going to set the all time record for worst season ever? This is embarrassing. First the 0-21, then 30-3 and now this? I’ve always been loyal to my teams, but I’m beginning to question if I want to be a fan of this team. I grew up rooting for this team, but god damn. Enough is enough.

I'm telling you, since the Caps won it all, this is my athletic (and Jedi) universe coming back into balance. Winning championship is the Light, worst team in MLB history is the Dark. 

Embrace the balance and don't worry about the results 

Archived