Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Long Does Trump [The President] Have Left?

Diehard Otis

How Long Does He Have?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Does Donald Trump Serve as President?

• Why isn't he gone already?
    • He won't make it to the end of the year
    • He goes before Election Day 2018
    • He may not serve his full term, but he stays on for more than half
    • He serves his full four years
    • Four year? We're talkin' re-election baby! #MAGA

This poll is closed to new votes

9 hours ago, nonniey said:

What is right?  Impeachment? Right now that would be doing what is wrong. Like I said you can't impeach someone for being an incompetent Jackass. 

From the little we know of the Russia investigation there is at minimum obstruction of justice and almost certainly collusion with a foreign power to tamper with an election. I also suspect we will find that the Trump family conducted business with Russian Oligarchs who were on the naughty list and that Americans were not allowed to trade with. The question with some of the above is can you find Trump's fingerprints on it or only Jared, Don Jr. etc. I suspect we have plenty of impeachable material what I doubt is whether we have the will to do it.

In terms of incompetence, you can't impeach a Pres for that, but there are mechanisms that allow for his removal if he is truly mentally incompetent and a danger to the US. His own White House staff has already effectively stated that he is incompetent and the only reason they are staying is to rein in the madness and put out fires. In addition, several GOP Congressmen (like Corker) have openly and publicly questioned his competence.

As to the President doing fine, beginning to get his agenda out, etc. How? Where? What? Yes, he has made a ton of signing statements and EOs (something I thought Republicans were vehemently against), but otherwise, what has he done? He's gotten us out of a treaty, I suppose. He's reduced our influence in the G20. As to the economy, nothing that he has done has been felt yet. It takes a while for macro changes to be felt on the micro level. The stock market and economy is still Obama's... even moreso because Trump hasn't done anything. There hasn't been tax reform or trade reform or health reform or... Hell, he can't even get infrastructure off the table or keep his corporate boards from quitting. In fact, he 8 months in, he has had to replace more high level staff and appointees than we see in some full terms. He's already on his fourth Comms Director, his second NSA, his second chief of staff, etc.

As the Republicans on this board have said previously, Trump is wasting a grand opportunity. The GOP controls the Executive, Legislative, and even the Judicial Branch and has no major and very few minor achievements. He did get a Justice through so that's a big deal, but that's about it.

34 minutes ago, Burgold said:

From the little we know of the Russia investigation there is at minimum obstruction of justice and almost certainly collusion with a foreign power to tamper with an election. I also suspect we will find that the Trump family conducted business with Russian Oligarchs who were on the naughty list and that Americans were not allowed to trade with. The question with some of the above is can you find Trump's fingerprints on it or only Jared, Don Jr. etc. I suspect we have plenty of impeachable material what I doubt is whether we have the will to do it.

In terms of incompetence, you can't impeach a Pres for that, but there are mechanisms that allow for his removal if he is truly mentally incompetent and a danger to the US. His own White House staff has already effectively stated that he is incompetent and the only reason they are staying is to rein in the madness and put out fires. In addition, several GOP Congressmen (like Corker) have openly and publicly questioned his competence.

As to the President doing fine, beginning to get his agenda out, etc. How? Where? What? Yes, he has made a ton of signing statements and EOs (something I thought Republicans were vehemently against), but otherwise, what has he done? He's gotten us out of a treaty, I suppose. He's reduced our influence in the G20. As to the economy, nothing that he has done has been felt yet. It takes a while for macro changes to be felt on the micro level. The stock market and economy is still Obama's... even moreso because Trump hasn't done anything. There hasn't been tax reform or trade reform or health reform or... Hell, he can't even get infrastructure off the table or keep his corporate boards from quitting. In fact, he 8 months in, he has had to replace more high level staff and appointees than we see in some full terms. He's already on his fourth Comms Director, his second NSA, his second chief of staff, etc.

As the Republicans on this board have said previously, Trump is wasting a grand opportunity. The GOP controls the Executive, Legislative, and even the Judicial Branch and has no major and very few minor achievements. He did get a Justice through so that's a big deal, but that's about it.

When I survey the chessboard, it is these developments that lead me to believe that the endgame is nigh; and Charlottesville developments have confirmed it.

One must ask, after being perceived to have implicitly supported white supremacy in the wake of such an ugly affair, how could Trump have any capital left?  Particularly given all the myriad events that have preceded this moment.

The answer is he doesn't.  We all know that the only elements of support he has left are from those among the Alt Right.  How can he possibly govern this way?

The only question left (in my mind) to answer at this moment is how does it end?

3 hours ago, Diehard Otis said:

When I survey the chessboard, it is these developments that lead me to believe that the endgame is nigh; and Charlottesville developments have confirmed it.

One must ask, after being perceived to have implicitly supported white supremacy in the wake of such an ugly affair, how could Trump have any capital left?  Particularly given all the myriad events that have preceded this moment.

The answer is he doesn't.  We all know that the only elements of support he has left are from those among the Alt Right.  How can he possibly govern this way?

The only question left (in my mind) to answer at this moment is how does it end?

The guy is still holding rallys for 2020.  Every rally he does, is for 2020.

Unless, Mueller is closing on him fast; he's staying. Even then, I think he will fire everyone in the justice department until he finds someone to fire Mueller.

When Nixon invoked the Saturday Night Massacre in October 1973, that was the beginning of the end for Nixon. It was the real basis for Republicans turning against him. Of course it helped that Democrats controlled Congress. It was Republicans that confronted Nixon and convinced him to resign after the committee voted out articles of impeachment.

Trump won't be impeached, I don't see the House flipping in the midterms. I do see the Senate flipping and stifling any legislation that they don't want.

More years of stagnation and that is a good thing.

3 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

When Nixon invoked the Saturday Night Massacre in October 1973, that was the beginning of the end for Nixon. It was the real basis for Republicans turning against him. Of course it helped that Democrats controlled Congress. It was Republicans that confronted Nixon and convinced him to resign after the committee voted out articles of impeachment.

Trump won't be impeached, I don't see the House flipping in the midterms. I do see the Senate flipping and stifling any legislation that they don't want.

More years of stagnation and that is a good thing.

While I'm no Republican supporter, Repubs back then were at the very least respectable politicians who still put America first. Today's GOP is full of cowards who have basically already bent the knee to kiss Donny's behind. They don't have the guts to turn on their party and impeach the SOB.

3 hours ago, Diehard Otis said:

seems to me the gop is waiting for mueller to make it easier for them to explain themselves to the alt-right, so that they don't lose them.

i'm curious to see if he goes further off the rails before that happens, and can force their hand. i'm not sure it's possible. they seem terrified of the alt-right.

if he executes an absolutely terrible military strategy, that might work. though, I don't even recall the GOP speaking out much about his invade NK, invade Venezuela comments...

Not really, the Republicans supported him, and actually I think the articles of impeachment were voted out with only six Republicans voting for them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_process_against_Richard_Nixon

One of the arguments that Nixon supporters on the committee often made was that the charges and the questions being asked about them needed more "specificity".[77] In that respect they challenged those who would impeach to come up with more details in purposeful conversations to be linked together as part of a concerted plan of action.[78]

Republican Charles E. Wiggins of California was Nixon's fiercest and ablest defender on the committee.[79] Wiggins consistently argued that no specific piece of evidence directly linked Nixon to any criminal act.[80] Other prominent defenders included David W. Dennis of Indiana[81]and Delbert L. Latta of Ohio.[80]

Republican Charles W. Sandman, Jr. of New Jersey defended Nixon throughout the proceedings, often to the point of caustic stridency,[80] and gained brief national visibility as a result. The New York Times described him as: "a heavyset man with glasses on the end of his nose, a pencil grasped between his hands, heaping sarcasm and scorn upon the arguments of those who would impeach the President."[81] He was one of those most vocally demanding "specificity".[78] At one point during the hearings, Sandman angrily told his New Jersey colleague on the committee, Chairman Rodino, "Please, let us not bore the American public ... you have your 27 votes", referring to the 27 affirmative votes for the first article of impeachment against Nixon. Sandman denied that emotion was the key behind his defense, saying "My role is not one of defending the President - that's for sure. I believe in a strict construction of the Constitution. If somebody, for the first time in seven months, gives me something that is direct, I will vote to impeach."[81]

6 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Highly doubtful the Senate flips given the numbers it is more likely that Republicans make gains. 

7 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I do see the Senate flipping

I'm just curious how you can be so optimistic about that.  From what I've read, the Republicans have only about 10 of their 52 seats up for re-election, while the Dems have about half of their people facing election. That's a lot of ground to maintain and then gain on. That means going, what, 30/35? And non-presidental years tend to be better for Republicans (excluding, say, 2006).

15 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Because we are motivated! 

After eight years of Republican obstructionism, and seven months of Trump and the Republicans trying to destroy this country and make corporations and the wealthy even wealthier, it's time to stop this nonsense.

If you are really motivated, then despite the long obstacles; the Dems win just enough seats to have a slim majority in the House and they win the Senate.

Thing is, the Dems are defending 24 or 23 seats to the GOP's 10?  A lot of those seats are in states Trump won handily. 

First, before we even get to a general election; the Democrats have their own primary battles.  The Sanders/Warren wing will demand 100% adherence to their issues.  Some candidates could be primaried. After the primary, will the Dems be united?  The Sanders/Warren wing; which is the where the base of the Democratic party now lies; will they be satisfied with the candidate running in the fall?    If not, will they come out.

Also, will Dems come out to vote in the midterms?  They don't have a good track record.  2006 they were motivated but they also have a wide spectrum of candidates.  If they nominate a bunch of Bernistas; the Dems aren't winning.

The Sanders/Warren wing AREN'T the base of the Democrats, witness Northam winning the VA Democrat primary for governor.

Republicans incumbents are shaking in their shoes that they will be primaried by a Trump candidate, so they are tripping all over themselves today to praise Trump's Afghanistan speech, where he essentially said nothing new except more troops means more money for contractors. 

I agree with your very last sentence.

Archived