Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

10 hours ago, Hersh said:

23-6 in high quality scoring chances. 33 shots to 12. 

Here's why it's coaching....

Because we look the same against Chicago as we do against the Panthers as we do against the Oilers as we do against the Penguins as we will against the Sabres.

Same thing happened to Liverpool toward the end of Brendan Rodgers time as manager where we looked the exact same against Real Madrid as we did against Queens Park Rangers.... that did it for me.  He had to go and we just happened to hire a world class manager next.

Don't watch much soccer, but yea, we do the same thing every game and don't seem to be getting "any" better. I know we have young defenders, but even the vets look like ass on D.. 3 on 1, 2 on none? Multiple times, every single game? The days of gambling on D and hoping you can catch up got shipped off to Vegas last time I checked.. :wacko:

2 hours ago, DC9 said:

Here's why it's coaching....

Because we look the same against Chicago as we do against the Panthers as we do against the Oilers as we do against the Penguins as we will against the Sabres.

Same thing happened to Liverpool toward the end of Brendan Rodgers time as manager where we looked the exact same against Real Madrid as we did against Queens Park Rangers.... that did it for me.  He had to go and we just happened to hire a world class manager next.

I'm not saying coaching isn't a problem, but it's deeper than that. Oshie, since his concussion, is not the same player at all. The top pair on defense does I don't know what sometimes. You can't let a player just split you like what happened on the 1 on 3. Orpik is terrible. Orlov is way overpaid. Did you see him try to skate it out in the 3rd, get picked from behind and it's another 2-0. Only reason they didn't score is that Kane's backhand, which got through Grubby's five hole, hit the far post. That's the top line.

There is a lot to put on the GM right now. Without rehashing, he's cost the team draft picks, this team has no salary cap flexibility going forward and he essentially put the exact same team on the ice this year as he did last year AFTER saying that there would be changes. 

38 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I'm not saying coaching isn't a problem, but it's deeper than that. Oshie, since his concussion, is not the same player at all. The top pair on defense does I don't know what sometimes. You can't let a player just split you like what happened on the 1 on 3. Orpik is terrible. Orlov is way overpaid. Did you see him try to skate it out in the 3rd, get picked from behind and it's another 2-0. Only reason they didn't score is that Kane's backhand, which got through Grubby's five hole, hit the far post. That's the top line.

There is a lot to put on the GM right now. Without rehashing, he's cost the team draft picks, this team has no salary cap flexibility going forward and he essentially put the exact same team on the ice this year as he did last year AFTER saying that there would be changes. 

I don't think this is a cup winning team, I think the opportunity for that was the last two years and the organization failed.

But other teams have youngins play and they don't look completely lost.  Trotz obviously has a problem with young players and coaching them up. 

The list to get rid of him and BM is long.  But Ted is not going to hire someone outside of his circle if he doesn't have to.

10 hours ago, c slag said:

With the Sabres twice and the Panthers and Lightning this week 

We should be able to tell if last night's debacle was just a mistake or if the wheels are truly coming off this year's Capitals 

The "wheels" are not coming off. Vrana will be back in, for at least a game or two.  But with Orpik and Bowey as the 3rd pairing, it is going to be bad when we play against speed.  Djoos has become a solid player who you don't have to worry about. Bowey has not.  I think he needs to spend some time in Hershey, and the Caps need a fast, puck mover paired with Orpik, if they can't dump him at the deadline (i.e. Chorney is NOT the answer).  

The wheels are coming off.  A lot has to do with Orpik being awful but costing a ton of money still.

We knew this would happen when we signed him.  It's here.  It's what happens when you are on the outside of the window you were looking out for a few years there.

Now, the Caps should be able to have a structure on the ice that will allow them to be successful with slow, old defenders, but it's not happening.  Cause the coach is ostracizing the young speed on the team and keeping it on the bench.  You need that speed to counter-attack.

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

The wheels are coming off.  A lot has to do with Orpik being awful but costing a ton of money still.

We knew this would happen when we signed him.  It's here.  It's what happens when you are on the outside of the window you were looking out for a few years there.

Now, the Caps should be able to have a structure on the ice that will allow them to be successful with slow, old defenders, but it's not happening.  Cause the coach is ostracizing the young speed on the team and keeping it on the bench.  You need that speed to counter-attack.

The first step is to pair Orpik with a speedy, puck moving partner. Instead, he has Bowey.  The Djoos-Carlson pair could be broken up, but  then Bowey would be asked to be on the ice for WAY too many minutes.  The answer is to bring in a rental to send Bowey down. Mike Green is the best available RD on the trade market, and it isn't even close.  Next would be Tyson Barrie from Colorado.  Barrie is owed $5.5M/year for the next 2 years, so he is out.  Green is an UFA after the season, and wouldn't cost that much.  

Obviously, 65 & 13 must remain in the lineup every night. PERIOD. No more scratching them for Chiasson.  In fact, if Chiasson can be moved at the deadline for a ham sammich, I'm cool with that.  I'd rather have Walker up as the 13th forward.  Trotz needs to roll 4 lines. And the team needs to go back to forechecking the other team. Make them pay physically. The Caps are still a big team...

10 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

Michael Kempny for a 3rd round pick. Anyone know anything about him? Like can he skate or play D? Couldn't really care less how many points he has. 

https://www.nhl.com/capitals/news/capitals-acquire-michal-kempny-from-chicago-blackhawks/c-296129438

He's better than both Bowey and Orpik, so there's that.  At least one of them will be sitting on a nightly basis. 

Ovi finally broke the ice, so to speak. Hopefully Kempny is an upgrade.. About Green, I hear they'd want Sampsonov in return.. Hopefully GMBM isn't that dumb, but you never know. But he would help sell tickets! (That seems to be the #1 goal for DC teams anymore) lol 

Not the prettiest win but any road points are good. Lightning tomorrow night will be a big test, Holtby is usually good against Kucherov and those boys. Neck and neck with the Penguins now smh. I hope to god we don’t see them in the playoffs. Malkin, Crosby and Kessel too much firepower for us. 

Archived