Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What percentage of white people have white guilt?

Major Harris

59 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Most white people don't listen to black people when they talk about issues of race.  They get super defensive and tune them out.  People also act like it's shameful to acknowledge the existence of white supremacy and white privilege.  White guilt is to be scorned and white guilt = wanting racial justice and being willing to listen to minorities and acknowledge the legitimacy of their points of view.

Yep. 

One of the good things you can say about many conservatives is that, deep down inside, they feel such overwhelming guilt about racism that they have to pretend it doesn't exist, in spite of all facts to the contrary.

8 minutes ago, Barney B said:

Yep. 

One of the good things you can say about many conservatives is that, deep down inside, they feel such overwhelming guilt about racism that they have to pretend it doesn't exist, in spite of all facts to the contrary.

Eh, there is a difference between guilt and defensiveness. One doesn't always necessitate the other.

Plus, it's easy for people to feel like a thing doesn't exist when it doesn't personally impact their little bubble of reality. And even easier for people to take it as an attack, when others bring it into their bubble of awareness in the pursuit of accountability and dealing with the darker realities of human interaction. This pattern of behavior is a human foible, regardless of skin color, just like racism.

Either way it takes character and care to rise above it.

In my entire life, i have lived in what folks would consider "black neighborhoods". 

I have lived for the last 28 years on a road that was inhabited by a large extended family, Weems, Diggs, Gannt,, everyone is someone's cousin or aunt or uncle.  
In truth when i moved in, they didn't like me, didn't know why a white man moved into their neighborhood. Didn't trust me, wouldn't talk to me.

I moved in in June, so by Halloween i decided i'd had enough, and figured to make them talk TO me, or about me... and i dressed up like Aunt Jemimah. Full blackface, the whole nine yards. 

Whn the kids came to the door, i'd open it up and say "Lawedy Lawd, Lookit alla these chilluns!"..  the kids laughed, the parents were standing there with their mouths hanging open.

My wife was scared to death, figured they would never like us. 

The next day the doorbell rang and i was proclaimed to be crazy, and invited over to play horseshoes. I've been part of the family ever since.

So while a lot of people talk about "white America" and all of this .. it rankles me, because it truly has not been my experience to be prejudiced.. i've always felt at home in places and neighborhoods others of my race do not. 

Used to there was always a game of spades going on under the tree across the street. it was a gathering place, usually on any spring or summer evening there would be 25 people out there .. all black unless I went out. I have had people tell me i live in an open air drug market. I LAUGHED and LAUGHED. No,  it's just all the brothers hanging out playing cards and enjoying the evening. and by "brothers" i mean actual related brothers + cousins.. like i said, everyone is related.  But people would see 25 black guys hanging out and figured to be afraid. My mother even figured i lived in a place that was not as safe as my sister,, who lives in Baltimore, behind locked doors, where watching the police copter searching for people is not unusual.
truth is if you drove down my street after dark, the phones would light up to find out who you were and where you went. 

I will say it's true they kept any would be burglars out.. there used to be a LOT of guys under the tree.. their presence insured nobody was coming in our neighborhood to start trouble.

In the day there were probably 15 kids living on the street, with cousins alwasy in and out.. and the kids all played together, and we all watched out for them. My yard was pretty popular because i would throw the football for them, fix their bike..  if one had a chain pop off, half of them would concoct some problem with their bike and line up for service... i'd pretend to put a wrench to it and they went off happy.

safest neighborhood i've ever lived in, Sleep with the doors unlocked if i wanted to. I could leave my wallet on the street and it would be returned. 

I don't know how much pertains to the discussion, but this is my life experience, and i am killing ten minutes before lunch.

~Bang

13 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Maybe it's because I come from a port City that is just about the most multiracial and diversely cosmopolitan I know. 

Maybe I'm just a divvy. 

But I got to ask ..... WTF is 'white guilt?'

Hail. 

A far-right perjorative to describe American caucasians who actually buy into the whole "Liberty and justice for all" deal.

35 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Maybe it's because I come from a port City that is just about the most multiracial and diversely cosmopolitan I know. 

Maybe I'm just a divvy. 

But I got to ask ..... WTF is 'white guilt?'

Hail. 

Language NSFW 

39 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I knew I should never of asked. 

What a crock of ****. Do people actually buy into this propaganda B/S?

Hail. 

Its part of growing up in America. 

6 minutes ago, grego said:

Its part of growing up in America. 

I hear yer. Sadly. **** man. My City has more ties to America than most. From a Liverpudlian being one of the signatories on the Declaration of Independence to the first ever US Consulate being established here, through the last act of surrender from your Civil War happening here and all points in-between and after, Liverpool and America are inextricably linked. 

And one of the darkest parts in all of that is L'pool's part in the slave trade. Much of the City's great wealth came from that horrible episode in history being a major port on the trade route through to the Americas. 

But I'm DARN sure I don't feel any 'guilt' over that. Sadness and regret of man's inhumanity to man that people suffered so much through that time. But that wasn't 'my' time. And that isn't 'me.' I've been brought up in the multicultural, multiracial City that's one of the friendliest, open minded, tolerant places you could wish to visit. Feeling 'guilt' over something that's generations before my time, to use that as an example, just because the main protagonists happened to be white and quite possibly my ancestors somewhere down the line ..... Behave will yer. That kind of bigoted propaganda B/S is what breeds hate. Not heals. 

Hail. 

One thing i have definitely learned. Kids don't care. Not 'til they're taught they are different.

Sounds cliché but it's totally true.

So while most of us dont have the means or power to change the world, change your kids. Don't teach it to them.

It really is the only way to create long standing cultural change. we can't wave any wands, it takes time, but it is within anyone's means to do so. 

It costs nothing, takes no time. Just set the right example, and they will follow.

It may take a couple more generations, but what else can we do?

~Bang

1 hour ago, Bang said:

One thing i have definitely learned. Kids don't care. Not 'til they're taught they are different.

Sounds cliché but it's totally true.

So while most of us dont have the means or power to change the world, change your kids. Don't teach it to them.

It really is the only way to create long standing cultural change. we can't wave any wands, it takes time, but it is within anyone's means to do so. 

It costs nothing, takes no time. Just set the right example, and they will follow.

It may take a couple more generations, but what else can we do?

~Bang

Bang you nailed it.   Kids are so far ahead of adults on these things.   I can't say my students have never taught ME.

I work at a private golf club. 

The members of the the club are 99% old wealthy whites.

needless to say a majority of the staff are "minorities". Anywhere from black to phillipino. As a white guy working there I will say their(members) demeanor is MUCH different to the black guys I work with. They try to be "cool" with them and tip them in situations I've never seen others get tipped in. 

Honestly I find it very funny. I think this is a very demographically relevant question though. I feel like further north east and the west coast  the "good ole boy" system is more obsolete, where in the south it still reigns. Therefore I think some "powerful" or wealthy whites carry awkward social white guilt.

just my two cents from personal experience.

6 hours ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

I work at a private golf club. 

The members of the the club are 99% old wealthy whites.

needless to say a majority of the staff are "minorities". Anywhere from black to phillipino. As a white guy working there I will say their(members) demeanor is MUCH different to the black guys I work with. They try to be "cool" with them and tip them in situations I've never seen others get tipped in. 

Honestly I find it very funny. I think this is a very demographically relevant question though. I feel like further north east and the west coast  the "good ole boy" system is more obsolete, where in the south it still reigns. Therefore I think some "powerful" or wealthy whites carry awkward social white guilt.

just my two cents from personal experience.

I'm wondering if you need to be American and of a certain age/ from the South in particular to experience this? As utterly ridiculous as the concept is to me. 

Hail. 

16 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I'm wondering if you need to be American and of a certain age/ from the South in particular to experience this? As utterly ridiculous as the concept is to me. 

Hail. 

The "guilt" does not stem from slavery in the 18th century.  It stems from the active oppression of American blacks in both the living memory(Jim Crow) and present day (war on drugs, GOP policies).

No white guilt here. I'm fed up with fighting micro-aggressions and pretending that white people wearing dreads is cultural appropriation...it's not...it's disgusting. If I ask you where you're from it's because I don't know. 

I'm tired of having to apologize for being born white and male. But that does not that mean that I'm unaware of white privilege.

I also fully reject the idea that just because you are in the minority that automatically makes you right and me wrong. Right is determined by the strongest and most sound argument which is not "there's fewer of me!"

Well, if we can get some sympathy for our white guilt, i'm for it. Poor whitie, having to deal with the self-created oppression of white guilt.. 

Its stupid to be ashamed or proud you are a white male. I'm happy i'm i white male. I guess if i had to choose i'd be an asian man with a black penis and white power. Maybe throw in some American Indian heritage, because they got treated way worse in america than anyone. You get all the sympathy, but without the bigotry. Yeah. That would be nice..

2 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

No white guilt here. I'm fed up with fighting micro-aggressions and pretending that white people wesring dreads is cultural appropriation...it's not...it's disgusting. If I ask you where you're from it's because I don't know. 

I'm tired of having to apologize for being born white and male. But that does not that mean that I'm unaware of white privilege.

I also fully reject the idea that just because you are in the minority that automatically makes you right and me wrong. Right is determined by the strongest and most sound argument which is not "there's fewer of me!"

Imma go with givin' you a break, because I know someone just got under your skin.  Also know who it is.

1 minute ago, RedskinsMayne said:

Well, if we can get some sympathy for our white guilt, i'm for it. Poor whitie, having to deal with the self-created oppression of white guilt.. 

This guy?

1 minute ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Man, if that ain't a hipster tweet if I've ever read one!!

Yep, him.

3 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Imma go with givin' you a break, because I know someone just got under your skin.  Also know who it is.

This guy?

Yep, him.

LoL!

Seriously though, white guilt was born out of a recognition of systemic injustice and fighting for the oppressed, which obviously recognized that there were oppressors but then that fight evolved into self deprication and embracing misplaced guilt from the oppressors unto the souls of those who are have become aware of injustice. 

There is a distinct difference between an injustice and someone being further ahead. If we took the rule of what has become of social justice fighting and applied it to sports then the slowest would win because they were born with disadvantages....(I would expect this to go without saying) but that's stupid.

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

How about "cultural appropriation"?  Did you know that all American culture is simply stolen from minorities?

I saw an African American woman with blonde hair....now I'm pissed!!!

Oh wait...I can't be...I'm white.

Sorry, I apologize for pointing out what might otherwise be a hypocrisy, but given my gender and race and socio-economic standing I am forbidden from suggesting that there might be blinders on with some people too.

Archived