Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is your favorite Marvel Movie franchise?

Ron78

What is your favorite Marvel Movie franchise?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Marvel Movie franchise?

• Spider Man/The Amazing Spider Man
    • X-men
    • Avengers
    • Iron Man
    • Captain America
    • Thor
    • Guardians of the Galaxy
    • Blade
    • Fantastic Four
    • Hulk/The Incredible Hulk
    • The Punisher
    • Ant-Man
    • Ghost Rider
    • Daredevil
    • Other

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

I think it has more to do with the Black Widow character itself. Her lack of solo books, no powers or power suits, and they likely think it wouldn't work. Which I feel is a mistake. Enough people have asked for a Black Widow solo film to justify it's creation. It's almost as if they see her on the same level as Hawkeye, and she's way more popular than him. 

A Black Widow movie has a lot of potential.  But a Hawkeye and Black Widow movie would be awesome and natural.  The only problem is that MCU precluded the romance between Hawkeye and Black Widow (and Mockingbird) by making him some married dude with kids.  Almost an avuncular figure within this Avengers universe.  And totally secondary.

That's one of the things I don't love about MCU actually.  That and the lack of Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne.  If you were to look at who the single most ubiquitous and important Avenger was during the first 100 issues or so, it was Hawkeye.  Easily.  He was the one constant member of the roster from the time he was introduced in Cap's kooky quartet on.  And he was the dominant personality in the group, who drove a lot of the plot.

MCU got Hawkeye wrong, and thus the potential of a truly great Hawkeye and Black Widow movie was lost IMO.  Jeremy Renner is a great actor but he isn't quite right for the character.  Also, MCU basically lifted a lot of the key elements of the Hawkeye and Hank Pym characters and gave them to Tony Stark in order to make him way more interesting and important than he actually was in the comics.  Stark was a glue character and peace maker whose dynamic was holding the team together through the conflict of much stronger personalities.  He was level headed and mature, and his identity as a business tycoon was much more pronounced.  His identity as Iron Man was also a secret.

So the reason we don't have as good a Hawkeye or Ant-Man as we should is because MCU cannibalized their characters to make Iron Man better.  And that has stunted the Black Widow character as well.

Blade should get more love.  That original was awesome.  Matrix stole all their camera moves from Blade.  It was just as much fun at the movies as any of the other flicks on the list.  

I loved X2, could not be less enthused to see the new Logan, and the new Spiderman looks awful.

I'm still holding out hope that they will make an awesome Hulk film at some point.  

2 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think 'tired' would've been a better word.  It feels tired.  It's just another mash-up movie with some appearances from Avengers, etc.  Same old stuff.

I agree there, I thought Stark was just going to have a small cameo and then I see him flying into battle with SpiderMan  and I'm thinking, what the hell. 

The rest of it I thought looked good and pulled of the pages of the comics so I was happy for it 

Just now, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The rest of it I thought looked good and pulled of the pages of the comics so I was happy for it 

Brother, I am a Spider-Man freak.  I dressed up as him for Halloween for about 6 years straight growing up. :ols:

I'm just tired of the formula.  It's like they have an algorithm that they follow now, whichever one makes the most money.  It's like I can feel the marketing strategy coming off the screen, and I don't like it.  There's not a genuine anything involved with these flicks anymore.

It seems to me that Homecoming is a mix of at least three different Spider-Man storylines. One of which, is his mentorship under tony stark. In the comics this began some time before the Civil War storyline. At times during that story arc, Spider-Man and Iron Man often fought together. So his appearance in Homecoming isn't just Marvel Studios throwing RDJ into this to boost sales, it is canon to his history as a character. 

• 3 months later...

Bumping this now that the Guardians sequel is out.

I've seen it, and the answer to this poll is definitely Guardians at this point. The first film is widely considered one of Marvel's best films, alongside Iron Man 1, Avengers 1 and Civil War. Vol 2, while not quite as good, is still comfortably ahead of Ultron, Iron Man 2 and the first Captain America. It's such a great, self-contained universe they've built and the characters play off each other incredibly well. I love the dual campiness and outright swagger the writers have tapped into while never forgetting to be heartfelt.

I chose Captain America, but will say both Iron Man and Thor come in a close second. Enjoyed the first Avengers movie but Age of Ultron was somewhat lame.

XMEN was okay, I lost interest in the franchise after Days of Future Past came out.

15 hours ago, Bacon said:

Bumping this now that the Guardians sequel is out.

I've seen it, and the answer to this poll is definitely Guardians at this point. The first film is widely considered one of Marvel's best films, alongside Iron Man 1, Avengers 1 and Civil War. Vol 2, while not quite as good, is still comfortably ahead of Ultron, Iron Man 2 and the first Captain America. It's such a great, self-contained universe they've built and the characters play off each other incredibly well. I love the dual campiness and outright swagger the writers have tapped into while never forgetting to be heartfelt.

I didn't really care for the first Guardians movie, so I doubt I will being seeing the second one.

Archived