Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When is the last time the Skins had a successful Hail Mary

wvuredskinsfan82

It's a really interesting question. It looks like we've never had a game-winning Hail Mary, or even a meaningful one.

But, I'd argue that throwing Hail Marys is a symptom of a team that is desperate. If you're a really good team you shouldn't find yourselves in a position to need one. So it's not really a measure of anything, as some posters seem to think. 

PS - you should change your thread title - questions should end with a question mark!!! (I'm kidding - welcome to ES!)

19 hours ago, wvuredskinsfan82 said:

I also wonder if the Redskins have ever completed a halfback toss pass for a touchdown. Or a throw back to a WR behind the line and then he throws a TD. I don't recall many trick plays over the last few seasons. Was there even one in 2016? It seemed like we never even ran a reverse. 

Gibbs used to love letting Clinton throw the football. Portis has 3 TD passes thrown in his career.

And I believe we also ran that WR play you're describing with Randle-El a couple times. Def a cpl WR reverse pass type plays.

Antwain Randle El threw a TD in 2006 and 2008 when he was with the Redskins:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RandAn00.htm

2006:  12/30 to Moss vs. Giants

2008:  10/5 to Cooley vs. Philly

2006 Stats (includes TD logs for Redskins and opponents)::

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2006.htm

2008 Stats:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2008.htm

On 1/9/2017 at 11:57 AM, Reaper Skins said:

I have a vague recollection of Randel El catching a hail Mary to end a game but it was on like the one yard line, and didn't go into the endzone.  

Don't remember the year though....

I want to say 2007 season opener vs Miami Campbell to Randle El off a deflect tackled at the one. We ended up winning in ot. Only one I remember that would of been a true hail mary.

Gus to Westbrook in the first ever game at JKC Stadium in 97 vs Arizona in OT was a walk off kinda hail mary lol.

On 1/8/2017 at 10:13 PM, wvuredskinsfan82 said:

I also wonder if the Redskins have ever completed a halfback toss pass for a touchdown. Or a throw back to a WR behind the line and then he throws a TD. I don't recall many trick plays over the last few seasons. Was there even one in 2016? It seemed like we never even ran a reverse. 

Clinton Portis had several during his Redskins tenure. RG3 also had a reception from someone, forgot who, Garçon I think. 

On 1/9/2017 at 2:51 PM, Skins Wingman said:

Yes, this is the closest thing to a hail mary i can remember

Loves that play. I think the OP is referring to a legit Hail Mary, as time expires, for the go ahead score to win/tie

1 hour ago, DeadExField said:

Clinton Portis had several during his Redskins tenure. RG3 also had a reception from someone, forgot who, Garçon I think. 

Loves that play. I think the OP is referring to a legit Hail Mary, as time expires, for the go ahead score to win/tie

DeadExField

You might want to delete that gif from your post. It is against the rules to quote pics.

On 1/9/2017 at 1:11 PM, skins island connection said:

I seem to recall Jason Campbell throwing a hail mary, but it ended up drifting to the right and about 8 rows up in the stands. 

You're wrong.  That was an out pattern.

Didn't Randle El actually catch one but got tackled at the two yard line? 

On 1/9/2017 at 6:45 PM, -JB- said:

I remember the 49ers losing on a Hail Mary to secure the #3 overall pick for us since they traded us the pick previously.  Drafted Chris Samuels with the pick lol

That's not how we got the #3 pick dude. We had three first round picks and traded two of them to San Fran for the the third pick. 

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:36 PM, DC9 said:

Cousins to Nichol to beat Russell Wilson's Wisconsin Badgers in the Big 10 Championship game

I just HAVE to believe that after the refs announced it was a touchdown, the camera showed Cousins celebrating, pushing off his players, he was screaming 'you like that'.  Blame Wisconsin.

On 1/17/2017 at 4:49 PM, Taylor703 said:

Didn't Randle El actually catch one but got tackled at the two yard line? 

That's not how we got the #3 pick dude. We had three first round picks and traded two of them to San Fran for the the third pick. 

Dude, they ended up with a terrible enough record to land us the 3rd pick because they lost on that Hail Mary ? I guess if not for that Hail Mary loss they would have traded us the 4th pick lol

Archived