Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When is the last time the Skins had a successful Hail Mary

wvuredskinsfan82

I find it intriguing how it seems Aaron Rodgers completes hail mary passes seemingly two or three times per season. However it seems like my Redskins haven't completed a hail mary since I was in diapers. I'm 34 years old now. I wonder why this is and how long it has actually been. Since the Rypien/posse days maybe??

It seems like we haven't seen a lot of things in a long time. I sit and marvel at how Alabama's defense/special teams has what? 11 touchdowns this season? Then I think wow, my Skins had one in 16 games. The Crowder punt return. I practically begged for a pick six or a scoop and score on a fumble in the Arizona, Carolina, and second Giants games. It was not meant to be. The defense couldn't even luck into ONE td all season long? Very frustrating.

I also do not recall the last Redskins punt block touchdown. Or even punt block in general. It seems we get close once in a blue moon but don't get a hand on it. I was wondering if divine intervention had occurred when Preston actually blocked a field goal three weeks ago.

15 minutes ago, wvuredskinsfan82 said:

It seems like we haven't seen a lot of things in a long time. I sit and marvel at how Alabama's defense/special teams has what? 11 touchdowns this season? Then I think wow, my Skins had one in 16 games. The Crowder punt return. I practically begged for a pick six or a scoop and score on a fumble in the Arizona, Carolina, and second Giants games. It was not meant to be. The defense couldn't even luck into ONE td all season long? Very frustrating.

I also do not recall the last Redskins punt block touchdown. Or even punt block in general. It seems we get close once in a blue moon but don't get a hand on it. I was wondering if divine intervention had occurred when Preston actually blocked a field goal three weeks ago.

we had 4 (at least) special teams/defensive TDs last season (2015 season, not 2016 season).

-Andre Roberts Punt Return TD against the panthers

-Rashad Ross Punt Return TD against the giants (1st matchup, in their stadium on TNF, week 3 I believe)

-Blocked Punt in the End Zone that we recovered, again, I believe that was also Rashad Ross, against the Jets

-D Hall fumble recovery returned for a TD against the eagles the night after Christmas, when we won the nfc east.

Last punt block for a TD was probably against the Lions during Gibbs II. Forget who did it, but I don't think there's been one since. There was a time, believe it or not, when the Redskins' special teams units were the toast of the league, the benchmark for every other team. That was under Allen, who started it, and then Gibbs I with the legendary Wayne Sevier. I can't remember the last time I've felt confidence in our special teams units. Kotwika is just another in a long line of bottom feeders in this department, imo. 

But back to the original question ... I'm going to go out on a limb after some brief googling and say the Redskins have never scored on a Hail Mary in their entire history. I don't think that's necessarily some terrible stat. Probably a lot of teams haven't. I guess Rodgers is just "full of grace." Or something. 

Just now, Dissident2 said:

Last punt block for a TD was probably against the Lions during Gibbs II.

does anyone remember the game against the jets in the 2015 season? the one where we blocked the punt and it landed in the end zone and we recovered it for a TD?

it was a year ago, people!!!! :ols: man y'all are old or somethin

2 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Last punt block for a TD was probably against the Lions during Gibbs II. Forget who did it, but I don't think there's been one since. There was a time, believe it or not, when the Redskins' special teams units were the toast of the league, the benchmark for every other team. That was under Allen, who started it, and then Gibbs I with the legendary Wayne Sevier. I can't remember the last time I've felt confidence in our special teams units. Kotwika is just another in a long line of bottom feeders in this department, imo. 

But back to the original question ... I'm going to go out on a limb after some brief googling and say the Redskins have never scored on a Hail Mary in their entire history. I don't think that's necessarily some terrible stat. Probably a lot of teams haven't. I guess Rodgers is just "full of grace." Or something. 

lavar scooped it didnt he? and wasnt it thanksgiving?

According to wiki we've not thrown a 'notable' one, but we've had two thrown against us.

Clint ****ing Longley

And just before halftime against the Cowboys at RFK in 1991.  That's the game where my grandpa broke the tv.

Those were the days kids... we used to break TVs around here when we were 11-1.

8 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

Lol Kordell was the missing link

He threw that thing about 75 yards didn't he?

I still remember watching that live.

EDIT:  Poor Todd Collins never knew what hit him there, lol

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

You know who would've been a natural at catching Hail Marys?

Malcomb Kelly.  Dude was rangy.

And Tall.

JCam's last pass as a Redskin was a hail mary against the Chargers scout team.  I remember it landed about 15 yards out of bounds.

Just now, wvuredskinsfan82 said:

I also wonder if the Redskins have ever completed a halfback toss pass for a touchdown. Or a throw back to a WR behind the line and then he throws a TD. I don't recall many trick plays over the last few seasons. Was there even one in 2016? It seemed like we never even ran a reverse. 

I don't think we've had one since probably 2011. Banks threw a 49-yard TD pass to Santana Moss

10 minutes ago, wvuredskinsfan82 said:

I also wonder if the Redskins have ever completed a halfback toss pass for a touchdown. Or a throw back to a WR behind the line and then he throws a TD. I don't recall many trick plays over the last few seasons. Was there even one in 2016? It seemed like we never even ran a reverse. 

Earnest Byner threw one to Ricky Sanders in 1990 vs. the Giants. I was at that game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_notable_Hail_Mary_passes_in_American_football

Notable ones listed in there. Rodgers just did it a 3rd time, but it's weird to see people seemingly suggesting that they think he's done it a lot more than that.

It's a rare situation to occur and has an even rarer likelihood of being successful. 

I'd venture to say less than half the league's teams have ever pulled one of. Rodgers having 3 is basically an anomaly. 

I found it interesting though that with as many late comebacks that have been credited to Wilson, he's on there just once and it's for the Fail Mary play when we had the replacement refs.

8 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I'd say the Monday Night Miracle should certainly qualify.

It has to be the closest we've got to one, but after Moss 2nd TD there was still 2.5 minutes left.

Archived