Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Washington Nationals: Wash, Rinse, Repeat

@DCGoldPants

5 minutes ago, STBonecrusher21 said:

The league has to do something about this..

Stadiums have to meet some kind of qualifications...

A couple of Rockies fans got on me on Twitter because I pointed out the egregious home/road splits up and down the Rockies lineup.

Charlie Blackmon has a ~.980 OPS at home and a ~.550 OPS on the road.

This stadium is a joke.

Batting "Champ," DJ LeMahieu 2016 home split: .391/.473/.591/1.064
Batting "Champ," DJ LeMahieu 2016 road split: .303/.353/.395/.747

Charlie Blackmon this year home split: .386/.417/.977/1.394

Charlie Blackmon this year road split: .175/.233/.275/.508

CarGo home: .314/.381/.514/.895

CarGo Road: .132/.154/.211/.364

Ironically, Nolan Arenado--a good player made great by Coors Field--has inverse splits--better on the road. Those will even out.

I'm not worried about Ross. The weather and conditions were junk.

The BP is not going to stop being a major concern unless some moves are made. So, unless they think AJ Cole could be a reliever (maybe?). Rizzo shouldn't be waiting to make moves IMO. Outside of Robles and Fedde. I'm open minded. Stevenson, Soto, Voth. Even Kieboom. Need much better pitching from the pen. 

I just ran across a stat that baffled me concerning division rival Freddy Freeman.  For the most part, his stat line is amazing so far - .381 average, .810 slugging, 24 hits in 18 games7 homers, 4 doubles.

But here's the weird thing. Given all that production at the plate, he only has 9 RBIs! So since 7 of those are himself on homers, he's only driven in 2 guys other than himself.  He must NEVER hit with men on base. 

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I put no stock in anything that happens in this series (except Joe Blanton blowing goats, that happens anywhere). Coors Field is an abomination. But this is still cool:

Hey, I've heard of that Joe DiMaggio guy.  I think he had some talent. Kiner rings a bell also, maybe because he's in the HOF.  

Not bad company to keep, even if it took place at Coors field.  

7 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I just ran across a stat that baffled me concerning division rival Freddy Freeman.  For the most part, his stat line is amazing so far - .381 average, .810 slugging, 24 hits in 18 games7 homers, 4 doubles.

But here's the weird thing. Given all that production at the plate, he only has 9 RBIs! So since 7 of those are himself on homers, he's only driven in 2 guys other than himself.  He must NEVER hit with men on base. 

The Braves have an atrocious batting line-up. ATROCIOUS. Freeman might get more IBB this year than anyone in MLB history because the batter before and after him are bad. 

10 hours ago, STBonecrusher21 said:

The league has to do something about this..

Stadiums have to meet some kind of qualifications...

Is there anything they can do with the current stadium?  I mean, if they built a new one, you could do some physics and figure out dimensions that would roughly equate to the same size as a field at sea level (pick any one), and adjust for altitude.  (Not that they would, but they COULD.  That math exists.)

But absent that, what CAN they do? Don't they already store balls in some type of humidor or something?  

Serous question.  I don't disagree that it's such an outlier that something should be done to have games played there regress to the mean a little bit, but I'm not sure what that would be.  

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Goes to show what a meaningless stat RBI are. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Is there anything they can do with the current stadium?  I mean, if they built a new one, you could do some physics and figure out dimensions that would roughly equate to the same size as a field at sea level (pick any one), and adjust for altitude.  (Not that they would, but they COULD.  That math exists.)

But absent that, what CAN they do? Don't they already store balls in some type of humidor or something?  

Serous question.  I don't disagree that it's such an outlier that something should be done to have games played there regress to the mean a little bit, but I'm not sure what that would be.  

The problem isn't just the size (it's already a very large), the thin air flattens out breaking pitches--we saw that with Ross last night--he was throwing cement mixers

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

The problem isn't just the size (it's already a very large), the thin air flattens out breaking pitches--we saw that with Ross last night--he was throwing cement mixers

So  what are you going to do?  Change the ball to make it more rough so it catches more air?  I don't think you can do that.

That was my point, I'm not sure it's a fixable problem.  Unless you move the team.

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

So  what are you going to do?  Change the ball to make it more rough so it catches more air?  I don't think you can do that.

That was my point, I'm not sure it's a fixable problem.  Unless you move the team.

No, I agree, there isn't much that can be done. I am just glad we only have to play there 3-4 games a year. 

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

No, I agree, there isn't much that can be done. I am just glad we only have to play there 3-4 games a year. 

I guess the other solution would be to build some type of pressurized dome thing where they can simulate sea level pressure, air quality, humidity, and temperature.  That might do the trick.  And I'm reasonably confident it can be done.  But it would be EXPENSIVE.  And probably not worth it.  But it would be cool...

Archived