Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Flooding in Southern West Virginia

Major Harris

There are at least 23 dead, including an 8 year old boy. Not included in that number is a 4 year old boy who is missing.

Greenbrier county got 9 inches of rain in a 24 hour period. There's a 1 in 1,000 chance of that. The Elk View River near the state capitol of Charleston crested at 33 feet. It rose 27 feet from Thursday afternoon to Friday morning.

A shopping center, connected to the main road by a bridge, had people stranded when the bridge was washed out.

Here is a video of a house, on fire, being swept away by the flood.

The Greenbrier Classic PGA event is supposed to be in 2 weeks. The Golf course is under water. Bubba Watson tweeted some pictures. (Someone help me embed, i don't use twitter. )

https://mobile.twitter.com/bubbawatson/status/746080984202784768

My middle school football team started a home/away series with greenbrier last year. We're 3.5 hours away, so we went down a day early and toured the Greenbrier training facility, where the Saints have training camp. Very nice, hospitable people. They are visiting us in September.

I am going to coordinate some sort of relief effort with our kids.

Thoughts, prayers, relief. All would help.

Not to parse words here, but it's more likely that's a flaming trailer than a flaming house, per we.

I saw a 3 story Victorian float into a bridge in reigllesville PA. Sat still for a second, then crumbled. Wasn't on fire, but it was crazy to see.

It's terrible for ones house to be both swept away by a flood and burn at the same time.  The end result of either one is to lose everything but to have both hit you at the same time has to feel like the universe is just being spiteful.   

It will be worse when people find out they may not have the insurance to cover the damages or their insurance just won't cover flood damage.

I saw a doc on mountain-top removal years ago, many folks started to develop cracks in their foundations, window shifting, etc.  Insurance wasn't covering many of those damages either.  It was sad to watch. 

Well, at least they weren't in the house.

I remember one here last yr w/a couple families floating off, one lady called to say goodbye before the house hit the bridge.

last I heard 23 dead in this WV flood.

Greenbrier and Summers Counties are experiencing more heavy rains and under additional flash flood warnings.

These counties never had anything to begin with, now what they did have is all washing away and unlikely that insurance will cover.

Very sad situation. I heard the Saints will be joining the relief effort. I had no idea they had training camp up there. Man they are the natural disaster NFL franchise for sure

It will be worse when people find out they may not have the insurance to cover the damages or their insurance just won't cover flood damage.

That's usually true. But since we've all seen this particular house consumed by fire I wonder if the insurance company will have to cover. I can see this in a Farmers Insurance ad someday. Yep, we covered it.

Fwiw, I would guess that the house was lifted by the flood, and when that happened, it caused the fire to start (broken gas line, ripped electric wires etc). Therefor, it would be a FLOOD claim even if the majority of damage was fire related

Fwiw, I would guess that the house was lifted by the flood, and when that happened, it caused the fire to start (broken gas line, ripped electric wires etc). Therefor, it would be a FLOOD claim even if the majority of damage was fire related

I read somewhere that the person was home. House started to flood, she went to attic. Smelled propane, house caught fire, she climbed out on a tree . Suffered burns while waiting to be rescued. I'll have to look later for the link, in on a ladder scraping paint. Yay

Archived