Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scot versus Scott: Battle of draft classes: LG

Riggo-toni

With the emergence of Moses at RT, the 2014 draft is looking better. Awhile back I wrote a long post discounting the claims of Scott Campbell and the rest of the incumbent FO that they were not responsible for past draft failures. With 2014 as the one year they would have no excuses, it's looking like a better draft than anything prior in the Snyder era. It's also interesting in that there are parallel picks from McCloughan in 2015.

Trent Murphy and Preston Smith - same position, same round,jury still out.

Jamison Crowder and Ryan Grant - picked a round apart. Both contributing, jury still out.

In both these cases, the Campbell pick seems more polished while the McCloughan pick has more raw talent.

And now the jury is about to reach a verdict on the last parallel -offensive guard. Spencer Long or Arie Kouandjio. On paper, Long should have the best shot. He was drafted a round earlier and has a year under his belt. Like the others, the Scot pick looks like a better raw talent whereas the Scott pick seems on the surface as though he will be ready sooner.

Was the Campbell team better than we thought, at least in terms of drafting (forget free agency)?

I for one will be quite interested to see which one takes the field on Sunday.

Trading out of the 2nd round in 2014 was still a mistake, just like it was to trade out of the 1st in 2011. F.O still outsmarting itself.

You mean trading down, not trading out. We still picked in both of those rounds. But I agree, I wish we had stayed put. Kerrigan has ended up being very good, but we surely would rather have JJ Watt or Robert Quinn. And it would have been nice to get Joel Bitonio in the second round instead of Trent Murphy.

It also hasn't helped that we got basically nothing from all the trade downs in 2011, and Spencer Long can't crack the field for a line that used to suck.

It's still early though, hopefully Murphy and Long turn into something. The results haven't been promising so far and, being a Redskins fan, I have no reason to hope for the happy outcome in any uncertainty. But still...

Also, I'm assuming that, staying put, we actually would have made the best decision and drafted Watt or Quinn or Bitonio. That's probably a foolish assumption.

We have had Monday and Tuesday practices so far this week surely by now Gruden has chosen who will start at LG. I have got a feeling it will be Leribus as I don't think Long has progressed as much as the coaches wanted.

HTTR

God I hope not.  Seeing him getting forklifted 3 yards into the backfield on a 3rd and 1 was enough for me.  I don't think Long is much better since Calahan didn't give him any time with the 1's at RG in Preseason.  Kouandjio would be my choice.  At least he can move his man and he's played in huge games with Bama so I don't think this game would be too big for him.

We have had Monday and Tuesday practices so far this week surely by now Gruden has chosen who will start at LG. I have got a feeling it will be Leribus as I don't think Long has progressed as much as the coaches wanted.

HTTR

Leriebus is garbage. I have no idea how he is still on the team. He constantly misses assignments in the run game and gets blown back in pass protection. It has to be between arie and long, but i like the fact that it hasnt been announced. Why let the Eagles know what to expect?

Wasn't Koundjio the second best LG in the off/pre season?  Many on here thought he'd shown enough that combined with Lauvao's pass game liaibility that won't improve (was beasting it in the run game this season though) he was the 'hope' OL guy to actually start.  Reason one being he's the most physical of the contenders.

Wasn't Koundjio the second best LG in the off/pre season?  Many on here thought he'd shown enough that combined with Lauvao's pass game liaibility that won't improve (was beasting it in the run game this season though) he was the 'hope' OL guy to actually start.  Reason one being he's the most physical of the contenders.

All the talk last preseason (2014) was how impressive Long was and how all the coaches were amazed at how he was overachieving. This off season Koundijo got some really good buzz too. I have this strange level of confidence that the answer will be one of them. Nice to see Reiter make it back to the practice squad too.

If we can get the line right, we'll be a long way towards that consistency we all wanted. Mind you, we've been consistently bad on the o line for about ten years... but that's not the kind I'm talking about.

We traded down for extra picks. We could have drafted JJ Watt.

Nobody knew how great Watt would be. To start 2011, we had a solid looking defensive line with Adam Carriker at his best and Stephen Bowen at a relatively high level. We had to deal with Lorenzo and Andre Carter at OLB the year before. It was terrible, and everybody knew we needed to get a new one. We got Ryan, and he's still paying dividends.

If we had picked bums like we did in '08, then I'd say you have a fair point, but Kerrigan has been everything we could have wanted, so to still be crying about it now when we've had so many other whiffs seems really pointless. We are never going to pick the league MVP in every draft; be happy we actually got someone who is good and get over it already.

Preston Smith had a sack, but Trent Murphy had the best last 30 seconds of football since....who knows.

Long got the start. We weren't opening the big holes like we did with Lavao in there, but things came through for Morris at the end.

Jamison Crowder and Ryan Grant both contributed.

Breeland had a solid game, and Jarrett had a couple good plays.

Both the last 2 draft classes looking like a good foundation.

Archived