Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR: NFL Preseason Is an Unnecessary, Outdated Risk for Players

HogNose

Good article......good points about it being outdated because of all the training these players do during the year. 

.......Preseason games have nothing to do with football. They're moneymakers for the owners. That's their purpose.    

The preseason used to have validity. Players didn't really train much in the offseason. Some actually worked offseason jobs because the money wasn't great.

Now, players have OTAs, mini-camps, more OTAs, more mini-camps. They train hard, year-round. Most players I know take about six weeks off from training out of a year. That's it.

Let me quickly eviscerate two myths about the preseason. First, you need the preseason so that guys on the roster, looking for a shot, get their chance. The problem is, teams know who these players are. All teams know. They have tape on them. Scouting reports. If he's a rookie, they have college tape. This isn't 1940. There are things called computers and DVRs....continued at link

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2547806-why-does-the-nfl-still-have-a-preseason

This controversy comes out every year when a player is injured. Nothing new.

As for the games, I'd be OK with cutting it down to 2, but I don't want an 18 game schedule. The CFL plays 2 exhibition games and an 18 game schedule, but they've done that for a long time. The also have a 6 game IR.

I think 4 is too many, but 2 would be fine. Good luck getting the owners to agree to it.

I hate that he used the CTE as an excuse but did have a point about colleges not having exhibition games.

This controversy comes out every year when a player is injured. Nothing new.

As for the games, I'd be OK with cutting it down to 2, but I don't want an 18 game schedule. The CFL plays 2 exhibition games and an 18 game schedule, but they've done that for a long time. The also have a 6 game IR.

I think 4 is too many, but 2 would be fine. Good luck getting the owners to agree to it.

Agreed.  The preseason is tedious, but is the best of all realistic options.  An 18 game Regular Season (plus Playoffs) would devolve into a war of attrition.  Well, more than it is now.

Are we trying to eliminate all development from the game? When the heck are young players supposed to learn to play if they keep cutting back on practice and start taking away the preseason?

This. The whole point about preseason is giving the younger players a chance to prove themselves, which just can't be done well in training camp/practice. It's worked for years, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I never understood adding 2 games to the regular season if you want to cut down on the preseason. Aren't you cutting down preseason games to avoid injuries? Wouldn't playing an extra 2 regular season games mean more injuries?

It's people just whining because they think preseason is boring.

I never understood adding 2 games to the regular season if you want to cut down on the preseason. Aren't you cutting down preseason games to avoid injuries? Wouldn't playing an extra 2 regular season games mean more injuries?

B/c the owners are never going to give up 2 games of ticket revenue so just cutting 2 preseason games is basically a non-starter.   I'm not a fan of extending the regular season though.   At least not without changing how NFL records are kept.    All of the "season" records would get demolished in the first few years.   But I think all NFL "season" records should be per games in the season.    Mostly b/c I think Jim Brown's 1963 season (1863 yards in 14 games = 133.1 yards a game) is underrated and/or unknown by many current fans.

The NFL can easily make up that revenue from cutting preseason by 2 games.

Have 2 byes. That would extended the season by one week. You can squeeze more money there.

They are going to expand the playoffs to 14 teams eventually.  More money there.

The Thursday night package should be open up to full bidding; to any network that shows them the money.

They should just increase the rosters during the preseason.

But reducing the number of games won't necessarily solve anything. Starters dont typically play in the last game anyway, so you're not gaining anything there if the 4th game goes away. The valuable players won't get any less work, but the players competing for jobs will.

Whether you get 30 snaps in 4 games, or 30 snaps in 2-3 games, its still 30 opportunities to get hurt.

It's people just whining because they think preseason is boring.

Indeed. As if they're forced at gunpoint to sit and watch. And if they're not watching, they have no reason to complain. Just tune in week 1 and be happy.

Quickly I realized my pros and cons to this argument:

Players stay in much better shape year round, and the offseason has much more OTA time in it, so actual TC / preseason time can be shortened b/c less time is needed for basic conditioning

...but...

the large reduction in full-contact drills during in-season practice, offseason OTAs and the TC/preseason window puts a larger emphasis on 'gametime' as the only available time for full speed tackling / blocking work

So in the end I say it's a wash and the league should just leave things how they are.

They should just increase the rosters during the preseason.

But reducing the number of games won't necessarily solve anything. Starters dont typically play in the last game anyway, so you're not gaining anything there if the 4th game goes away. The valuable players won't get any less work, but the players competing for jobs will.

Whether you get 30 snaps in 4 games, or 30 snaps in 2-3 games, its still 30 opportunities to get hurt.

Indeed. As if they're forced at gunpoint to sit and watch. And if they're not watching, they have no reason to complain. Just tune in week 1 and be happy.

First three games, you carry a 90 man roster. 75 for the fourth game. How many more players do they need. It's football. People will get hurt. You just hope the odds are with you that a major player doesn't go down.

But as I've said before, most of these injuries have happened in practice.

Archived