Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest uniforms in NFL history

thebluefood

The NFL Network has a series that countdowns the top 10 everything surrounding the NFL. One of the more interesting ones dealt with uniforms. I wanted to ask you guys which uniforms you think are the greatest in the follow categories.

1.) Your team's history

2.) Division rival's

3.) Non-division rival

1.) It's no secret that, in my opinion, the best Redskins uniforms were worn during the Allen era. Just an all around classic, simple uniform.

2.) Eagles Kelly Greens are about as good as it gets. I really wish they'd go back to them.

3.) I'm split between the Raiders and the Packers. Both are iconic, time honored and go so well with their respective identities.

1) Redskins, Burgundy jerseys, Gold pants circa mid-late 1970's

2) Division Rival's uni's make my stomach turn

3) NFL Associated; Hamburg Seadevils,NFLE

SDevils.JPG

3a)Non Division, in the NFL

1)S.D. Chargers

2) N.O. Saints

3) S. Seahwaks (70's-80's, Silver Helmet)

1. The Gibbs I Era Redskin uniforms.  When I was a kid and first saw those uniforms, featuring the white jerseys & burgundy pants and the cool Indian-head-inside-the-dreamcatcher logo on the helmets, I was hooked.

2. The Randall Cunningham Era Eagle uniforms.  I hate the Iggles and their boorish fans.  But the simplicity of their uniforms during that era, including the color scheme, made them very easy on the eyes.

3. The Oakland/L.A. Raider uniforms.  Another hated team with boorish fans.  Ugh.  However, their uniforms have long had a Darth Vaderish quality that works quite well on a purely visual level.

A lot of teams do the BFBS (black for black sake) uniform thing and most of them look ridiculous. The Raiders, though, own the color black as far as the NFL is concerned

Interesting fact: the original designer of the Raiders uniform chose the black color spec to perfectly match the color of Al Davis' heart.

1.) Lombardi era jerseys with the script R.

2.) 80's/90's era Giants jersey

3.) Current Bucs uni.

Just that combination of blood red, black/cream sickle trim, and the pewter, is otherworldy badass

Talk about a turnaround.  The Bucs went from one of the most ridiculous uniforms in the NFL to one of the best:

Watching some of the NFLN's retrospectives on Deacon Jones (R.I.P.) has led me to amend my earlier comments with an honorable mention: the L.A. Rams' blue-and-white uniforms of the late '60s.  The Rams should go back to those again.  While they're at it, they should relocate back to L.A. too.

I too liked the old Broncos uni's, especially the sock combination. Loved the orange. That was more of an orange orange and not the "HELLO!!! NICE TO SEE YOU!!!" orange they wear now that;s hard on the eyes. As for the Cleveland Rams Uni's, I'd say hell to the no. Aside from the Colts jerseys, they may be the most bland jerseys ever known to mankind. I like the 70's/80's/90's LA Rams jerseys with the royal and gold a lot better. I've been saying for years that now would be the perfect time for the current Rams to go back to that color, especialy if they move back to LA at some point.

I loved that mid 90's alternate Niners jersey as well.

super-bowl-xxix-steve-young.jpg

While those Niners uniforms aren't bad, I still prefer the one's they have now.  I hated when they tried to infuse too much black trim on their uniforms. 

I would love them if they didn't wear black shoes. The black shoes throw everything off. I think the Niners, Skins, and Packers are the three most teams who should really ditch the darker/black/multicolor shoes and go back to white/multicolor shoes.

Rams to LA. Jaguars to St. Louis.  Kahn is from southern Illinois so that would be perfect for him and St. Louis.  Plus, they could stay in the same divisions.

That would be a rather simple yet elegant solution to the situation, as JAX is not a major league sports town and it would be a shame to see STL get hosed again by having the NFL bolt outta town.

As for the Cleveland Rams Uni's, I'd say hell to the no. Aside from the Colts jerseys, they may be the most bland jerseys ever known to mankind. I like the 70's/80's/90's LA Rams jerseys with the royal and gold a lot better. I've been saying for years that now would be the perfect time for the current Rams to go back to that color, especialy if they move back to LA at some point.

I loved that mid 90's alternate Niners jersey as well.

Well, the Rams had moved outta Cleveland back in the 1950s, so the blue-and-white Deacon Jones era uniforms I mentioned were sported in the City of Angels.  However, I must agree that the blue-and-gold unis you mention have always seemed to me like their real uniforms.  Hell, they even won a Super Bowl (finally) in those blue-and-gold jobs -- and then they changed them to those Colorado State-looking things that they now sport, thereby offending the football gods and ensuring that they shall never again hoist the Lombardi Trophy (until they change back to their prior unis).

As for the mid-'90s Niner unis, I definitely liked the old-school jersey of that period, with the shading effect for the numbers.  However, these uniforms remain controversial among Niner fans, as they ushered in even further uniform changes during that decade, culminating in what I call the FSU-style unis (mostly because the bronze helmets and scarlet facemasks reminded me so much of FSU's helmets).  Most Niner fans prefer the uniforms that the team sported during the Joe Montana era; and I can't say that I blame them, as they possess a simplicity of style that just seems right for a football uniform.

to me it is the Colts uniform's from late 50's. . i have always hated every team from Baltimore but I loved the colts uniforms as they appeared on the cover of sports illustrated after the 1958 NFL Championship Game . It was something about the horseshoe on the helmet. I cut the cover out and had it pinned to the attic wall. I had all kinds of sports things pinned to the walls.I had a little room in the attic i used as my hide out when I was growing up. it was all mind and i did not have to share it with my brother as we did the bedroom

Archived