Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest uniforms in NFL history

thebluefood

I had no idea about the Randolph Scott connection to the Raiders' logo.  Fascinating!  By the way, if you're into westerns and haven't yet seen the many pairings of Randolph Scott and director Budd Boetticher from back in the day, you're missing out.  Of particular note are 1957's The Tall T, which is based on an Elmore Leonard story, and 1956's Seven Men From Now, co-starring Lee Marvin as one of the film's gang of villains.

I'm sorry, I cannot endorse teams like Philly, Detroit and any college team that comes out wearing a black uniform when it is neither in their color scheme or is only used as trim.  I think the Philly, Detroit and a college team like Rutgers wearing black looks atrocious.  That would be like us sporting a blue jersey or San Francisco coming out wearing green.  It doesn't work.

I agree, black looks weird when it isn't part of your color scheme (the Tennessee Vol's black uni is probably the prime example), but I have no problem with black trimming. The whole "Blackout" thing is waaaay overdone in sports.

The current Eagles black alternate may be ugly, but black is part of their color scheme... Same with the Lions. I think there are very few colors that you can pull off with black anyway. Honestly, I think you're pushing it with anything other than black/ any shade of gold, or black/silver jerseys and pants. Black jerseys and white ants looks pretty bad too, which is why I didn't like it when the Falcons switched in '03, from their 80's/90's look, which I loved.

Black/white, no matter what color combo that comes along with it, has always gotten a "Meh" reaction from me.I think black on black, with black helmets,  can be pretty cool, but the Ravens get docked because they have no striping. The Falcons all black is very good though, but I don't think they've used it since the Vick era. They also had a red jersey/black pants combination that looked really good as well, that they don't wear anymore.

I agree, black looks weird when it isn't part of your color scheme (the Tennessee Vol's black uni is probably the prime example), but I have no problem with black trimming. The whole "Blackout" thing is waaaay overdone in sports.

The current Eagles black alternate may be ugly, but black is part of their color scheme... Same with the Lions. I think there are very few colors that you can pull off with black anyway. Honestly, I think you're pushing it with anything other than black/ any shade of gold, or black/silver jerseys and pants. Black jerseys and white pants looks pretty bad too, which is why I didn't like it when the Falcons switched in '03, from their 80's/90's look, which I loved.

Black/white, no matter what color combo that comes along with it, has always gotten a "Meh" reaction from me.I think black on black, with black helmets,  can be pretty cool, but the Ravens get docked because they have no striping. The Falcons all black is very good though, but I don't think they've used it since the Vick era. They also had a red jersey/black pants combination that looked really good as well, that they don't wear anymore.

Agree.  I also think the Saints and Ravens with the all black leotard look is bad.  Lions just incorporated black as part of the trim about 5 years ago or so.  Eagles had it in their Kelly Greens.  I've always preferred the Falcons look from the 70s-80s when William Andrews and Steve Bartkowski were lining up.  I think I put a picture up in another post in here.  As a MD Terps fan, I can't stand the current crop of crap that is their uniform combos. 

I'm a traditionalist with uniforms. Like Notre Dame, Alabama, Penn St, USC, etc.  I hate that MD went the Oregon Ducks route.  To me, when you have too many uniform combos, you have no identitly.  I'd like to see the Terps go to a Red helmet with an M and a MD flag on it, with black as the trim either on the mask or a stripe.  Red home jerseys with black pants (no leotard look) and white jerseys on the road with Red or white pants.

• 2 weeks later...

The NFL Network has a series that countdowns the top 10 everything surrounding the NFL. One of the more interesting ones dealt with uniforms. I wanted to ask you guys which uniforms you think are the greatest in the follow categories.

1.) Your team's history

2.) Division rival's

3.) Non-division rival

1.) It's no secret that, in my opinion, the best Redskins uniforms were worn during the Allen era. Just an all around classic, simple uniform.

2.) Eagles Kelly Greens are about as good as it gets. I really wish they'd go back to them.

3.) I'm split between the Raiders and the Packers. Both are iconic, time honored and go so well with their respective identities.

1.Well, honestly, I absolutely love our unis now when they wear the gold pants & burgundy jerseys. I never really cared for the white pants.

2. As for Division rivals, if I HAD to choose, I would also go with the Eagles, but more of the current look. I like the darker shades of green in their unis then in the older unis for them.

3. I like Tampa's pewter look. I also like the Packers yellow & green & the Vikings purple & yellow.

Archived