Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Caldwell That Ends Well..

LaRonDontLikeUgly

I would have kept him for $655k. That doesn't seem like much, and probalby not much more than the vet minimum for his experience. He became a crucial guy for us on third downs, and his size probably could have been useful as a 4th WR in the WCO.

We may end up drafting more than one receiver if a trade or acquisition is not made. Caldwell was cheap and reliable but not the future or a gamechanger, just pushes us more and more in the direction of a WR with that 1st pick if sweed, hardy, thomas are available.

How does this sound? :whoknows:

1st pick James Hardy

2nd pick Lawrence Jackson

3rd pick Jordy Nelson

3rd pick Chevis Jackson

5th pick OL

6th pick OL

7th pick OL

I think we are reaching a little for James Hardy at 21. I could see us trading down, getting more picks, and snatching him with a high 2nd rounder

I was hoping we could keep him, as well. He could be a solid 3rd/4th WR--a stopgap player, perhaps, until we could develop a WR picked up in the draft. Hopefully, Mix can fill that role for us, and Thrash is always an option. I would have liked to see Caldwell stay around, and draft a WR in a later round as I feel Oline depth/development/youth is a pressing need right now.

Meh,

Even though it would have been nice for him to stay.

But this really gives Anthony Mix more chances.

We have like 4 WR now? Not counting the off season add-ons.

Moss

Randle El

Mix

Trash?

how about

Moss

Randle El

Mix

Nelson

Arrington

Espy / Monk ?

We could grab Jordy Nelson in the 3rd

Grab Adrian Arrington in the 6th or 7th

Bring back Mike Espy for training camp.

Perhaps get Marcus Monk as an UDFA? (dont know much about Monk, but seems like a lot of people like him)

Actually these are our other back-ups that we have on our roster:

Maurice Mann 6'1" 190 bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Mann

Burl Toler 6'2" bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl_Toler,_III

Billy McMullen 6'4" 215 bio http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4553

Anthony Mix 6'5" 235 Video

bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Mix

We might cut one of these guys to keep thrash but that's if Zorn what's him in, thrash was a Gibbs guy so we will see what moves happen in the draft!:2cents:

(Info taken from jistardy post)

Ha, well, Randle El, and Moss never get injured. We don't need depth, dump everybody. We all know rookie Wrs almost always emerge right away as studs in the NFL.

Anyway, sarcasm aside, I really don't get the Skins approach to this position. We have 2 small injury prone Wr's (Randle El, was Ok though in his defense until last season), where will the depth be coming from?

I like the idea of drafting young WR's but they rarely emerge right away. The draft geeks also aren't overly excited about any one of the Wr prospects, deep WR draft, but no sure fire studs seems to be their sentiment.

This isn't so much my sentiment about Cladwell but ignore Hackett and Johnson who were taken very cheap.

Ha, well, Randle El, and Moss never get injured. We don't need depth, dump everybody. We all know rookie Wrs almost always emerge right away as studs in the NFL.

Anyway, sarcasm aside, I really don't get the Skins approach to this position. We have 2 small injury prone Wr's (Randle El, was Ok though in his defense until last season),

where will the depth be coming from?

I like the idea of drafting young WR's but they rarely emerge right away. The draft geeks also aren't overly excited about any one of the Wr prospects, deep WR draft, but no sure fire studs seems to be their sentiment.

This isn't so much my sentiment about Cladwell but ignore Hackett and Johnson who were taken very cheap.

Here's our current Depth, all unproven!

Maurice Mann 6'1" 190 bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Mann

Burl Toler 6'2" bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl_Toler,_III

Billy McMullen 6'4" 215 bio http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4553

Anthony Mix 6'5" 235 Video

bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Mix

Anyway, sarcasm aside, I really don't get the Skins approach to this position. We have 2 small injury prone Wr's (Randle El, was Ok though in his defense until last season), where will the depth be coming from?

Well, the injury issues with them have mostly been hammy issues, which is a problem at a lot of positions on this team and they are trying to address it. It certainly isn't because they get hurt when they get hit.

Depth is probably going to come from younger players. If anyone gets hurt for a signifigant length of time, I assume that the team will do what they did last year when they picked up Caldwell and McCardell. There are always going to be veterans out there like that who can come in and contribute a little bit.

Personally, I didn't think Caldwell was all that. He came in and made some decent catches, but there are a few guys out there who can do that much. To be honest, Caldwell wasn't going to see the field all that often here, and he knew it, particularly if we do bring in some young guys at receiver.

Jason

Well, the injury issues with them have mostly been hammy issues, which is a problem at a lot of positions on this team and they are trying to address it. It certainly isn't because they get hurt when they get hit.

Depth is probably going to come from younger players. If anyone gets hurt for a signifigant length of time, I assume that the team will do what they did last year when they picked up Caldwell and McCardell. There are always going to be veterans out there like that who can come in and contribute a little bit.

Personally, I didn't think Caldwell was all that. He came in and made some decent catches, but there are a few guys out there who can do that much. To be honest, Caldwell wasn't going to see the field all that often here, and he knew it, particularly if we do bring in some young guys at receiver.

Jason

Santana Moss has pretty much had an injury prone career, starting with the Jets. The big exception was 2004. 2007 wasn't the exception to the rule for Santana it was the rule.

So likely for a portion of the games this season we are going to line up Mix and Randle El as our two go to guys while Santana nurses some injury. I don't know about you but that makes me nervous. It's rare for a rookie to step in and light a fire right away so am doubting its going to be a new bee.

My issue isn't so much Caldwell. It's letting Hackett go without much of a fight. Scout.com just came out with their top rated WR ranking and Hackett rated not that far from Santana and way above Randle El.

It just seems the FO has a very RELAXED approach to WR and it befuddles me. Only 3 explanations hit me here:

1. They think Anthony Mix is a stud.

2. They will draft a WR with the first round pick and might even select a 2nd.

3. They are cooking up a trade.

Good for him.

Saunders is there and he has experience with the playbook. At this juncture Bulger is a more solid QB than Jason, so it makes sense for him to jump ship and try to cash in next year.

He was solid for us, I'll wish him well.

Archived