Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Caldwell That Ends Well..

LaRonDontLikeUgly

taken from profootballtalk.com....

RAMS ADD CALDWELL

Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that the St. Louis Rams have reached an agreement with free agent wide receiver Reche Caldwell.

Caldwell spent the 2007 season in Washington, and the Redskins were reportedly awaiting a decision from Caldwell, whom they offered a contract, as recently as yesterday. No details of the deal have been reported, but Caldwell apparently liked the offer he got from the Rams better than the offer he got from the Redskins.

Caldwell didn’t do much in Washington last season, playing in eight games and catching 15 passes for 141 yards. His best season came in 2006 with the New England Patriots, when he caught 61 passes for 760 yards. Prior to 2006 Caldwell spent four seasons with the San Diego Chargers.

In St. Louis Caldwell is likely to compete for the third receiver position behind starters Torry Holt and Drew Bennett.

Here is the ESPN article:

Reche Caldwell still hasn't cashed in on a big contract yet from his 61-catch season with the Patriots in 2006, but he's hoping to strike gold in St. Louis.

Caldwell agreed Tuesday to a one-year,$645,000 contract with the Rams. He had a minimum salary offer to stay with the Redskins and he also had an offer from Carolina.

He becomes the second Redskins backup to leave for the Rams. Last Friday, cornerback David Macklin signed a one-year deal with St. Louis.

The Rams will be the 28-year-old receiver's fourth team in four seasons. His career started in San Diego where he was a second-round pick of the Chargers in the 2002 draft.

He had 15 catches last season with the Redskins.

-- John Clayton, ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3310781

Here is the ESPN article:

Reche Caldwell still hasn't cashed in on a big contract yet from his 61-catch season with the Patriots in 2006, but he's hoping to strike gold in St. Louis.

Caldwell agreed Tuesday to a one-year,$645,000 contract with the Rams. He had a minimum salary offer to stay with the Redskins and he also had an offer from Carolina.

He becomes the second Redskins backup to leave for the Rams. Last Friday, cornerback David Macklin signed a one-year deal with St. Louis.

The Rams will be the 28-year-old receiver's fourth team in four seasons. His career started in San Diego where he was a second-round pick of the Chargers in the 2002 draft.

He had 15 catches last season with the Redskins.

-- John Clayton, ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3310781

he made some big catches for us last year, but the bolded sentence is the one that really struck me in this article - it is proof that we are setting limits on how much we will pay for players and walking away if the offer is rejected.

i know that caldwell is not a huge name, but still - this phenomenon has been a rarity lately. would have been a nice player to keep, but if he wants more im glad we arent giving it to him.

Awesome! Now cut Thrash, trade down whenever you can, and draft 2-3 WRs, and see who develops/pans out.

Actually, Thrash's position is now even more solid now that Caldwell won't be back. With three reliable vets and a bunch of no-names behind them, it would take a lot for Thrash to fear for his job.

Jason

Sorry to see him go - I thought he was a very solid 4th receiver for us last year down the stretch.

Interesting that he seems to have taken a vet minimum deal with St Louis over the same money with us - they must have given him hope of more playing time than he would ikely have had with us to pad his stats and get a better deal somewhere in 2009.

Great to know Redskins Insider was all over this. I know he wasnt a world beater but i wish we would have kept him. Im so nervous about drafting a WR because historically we are so bad...Im all for drafting the lines. I know its not flashy but its the way we should go...

Meh,

Even though it would have been nice for him to stay.

But this really gives Anthony Mix more chances.

We have like 4 WR now? Not counting the off season add-ons.

Moss

Randle El

Mix

Trash?

how about

Moss

Randle El

Mix

Nelson

Arrington

Espy / Monk ?

We could grab Jordy Nelson in the 3rd

Grab Adrian Arrington in the 6th or 7th

Bring back Mike Espy for training camp.

Perhaps get Marcus Monk as an UDFA? (dont know much about Monk, but seems like a lot of people like him)

Sorry to see him go - I thought he was a very solid 4th receiver for us last year down the stretch.

Interesting that he seems to have taken a vet minimum deal with St Louis over the same money with us - they must have given him hope of more playing time than he would ikely have had with us to pad his stats and get a better deal somewhere in 2009.

my thoughts exactly...

Awesome! Now cut Thrash, trade down whenever you can, and draft 2-3 WRs, and see who develops/pans out.

:doh:

Cut Thrash and draft 2-3 WRs? Are you out of your mind?

:doh:

EDIT: I could see us MAYBE drafting 2 WRs - a higher-rounder and a 7th round gamble, but no way we draft 3.

For some reason I don't think it came down to playing time because he could've won the #3 spot from Thrash. I think it has more to do with Saunders. Perhaps they spoke about how he would utilized there and here.

That just means they want to get Sweed AND Nelson in the draft. :applause:

if we picked up both of them I would be fine with it

I highly doubt that this will happen. You can dream though!

I really wanted Caldwell back. Oh well.

Meh,

Even though it would have been nice for him to stay.

But this really gives Anthony Mix more chances.

We have like 4 WR now? Not counting the off season add-ons.

Moss

Randle El

Mix

Trash?

how about

Moss

Randle El

Mix

Nelson

Arrington

Espy / Monk ?

We could grab Jordy Nelson in the 3rd

Grab Adrian Arrington in the 6th or 7th

Bring back Mike Espy for training camp.

Perhaps get Marcus Monk as an UDFA? (dont know much about Monk, but seems like a lot of people like him)

I wouldn't count on Espy coming back. Mix has apparently impressed so look for the skins to only draft a wr in the top 2 rounds.

We may end up drafting more than one receiver if a trade or acquisition is not made. Caldwell was cheap and reliable but not the future or a gamechanger, just pushes us more and more in the direction of a WR with that 1st pick if sweed, hardy, thomas are available.

How does this sound? :whoknows:

1st pick James Hardy

2nd pick Lawrence Jackson

3rd pick Jordy Nelson

3rd pick Chevis Jackson

5th pick OL

6th pick OL

7th pick OL

Archived