Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What should we do with the donations?

iheartskins

In light of the "bets" placed in rayprils' thread, the ES Staff has decided to poll you, its constituents, to see how you feel about how to use the money generated from the bets placed in that thread.

We currently are considering the ideas that appear above among others. If you have an idea that doesn't appear above, please share in detail what you think we should do. The best suggestions are likely to be those that contemplate a plan that benefits the largest numbers of members of the Board, so while we'd like to fund the Staff Retirement Fund :), we are looking for ideas that would provide the most benefit to the most of you.

This is the amount of money that we have to work with:

If the Redskins don't make the playoffs: Current Total: $1710 + TBD

If the Redskins make the playoffs: Current Total: $2845 + TBD + incentives

If the Redskins win the Super Bowl, total donations will be: $4680 + TBD + incentives

If the Eagles win the Super Bowl, total donations will be: $200 + incentives

If the Cowboys win the Super Bowl, total donations will be: $150 + incentives

If the Giants win the Super Bowl, total donations will be: $50 + incentives

Please note that while the ES Staff welcomes suggestions, we are not bound by the outcome of this poll, or by any of the suggestions in this thread.

I dont like the trust fund idea. Ironically i would be the one who most benefits. But only a few of us even get to go to the tailgates so I don’t think that’s fair.

I think the donation to the hurricane is also nice but how do we know all those people want their money going their.

Not to sound negative but why not cancel the bets altogether so we don’t have to worry about disturbing money?

:helmet: :logo: :helmet:

on a side note where wb36?

How about hiring the Redskin cheerleaders to make a guest appearance at the Extremeskins tailgate? :)

Seriously (well, I am serious about the cheerleaders...sorta), how about splitting it between several worthy causes....25% to the tailgate, 50% to the Red Cross, 25% to me....or something like that.

The dynamics of the thread changed once the site was purchased by the team. The intent of most people was to help off set the cost of running the site. The "make a donation" buttons are gone. It should be voluntary as to whether or not the pledges are made to any particular cause at this point. It is very disengenious to expect a show of support for a site that was not run by a billion dollar organization, to now go the team indirectly. If the site wants to continue to collect donations, the make a donation buttons should come back.

I financially supported ES happily whenever I could the last couple of years, but I find this thread pretty absurd to be honest. I would have zero issue donating if the orginal owners were going out of pocket to keep the site running without advertising, but to try and mandate donations that were intended to go to basically keep the site going, to something less is pretty bad form in my opinion.

The dynamics of the thread changed once the site was purchased by the team. The intent of most people was to help off set the cost of running the site. The "make a donation" buttons are gone. It should be voluntary as to whether or not the pledges are made to any particular cause at this point. It is very disengenious to expect a show of support for a site that was not run by a billion dollar organization, to now go the team indirectly. If the site wants to continue to collect donations, the make a donation buttons should come back.

I financially supported ES happily whenever I could the last couple of years, but I find this thread pretty absurd to be honest. I would have zero issue donating if the orginal owners were going out of pocket to keep the site running without advertising, but to try and mandate donations that were intended to go to basically keep the site going, to something less is pretty bad form in my opinion.

you do have a point, but I would make the claim that the donations were also made in faith (or no faith) about the outcome of our team. I think maybe we could let the people slide who said they would donate if we dont make the playoffs, but I put up a minor expected contribution and I still have no problem donating if it comes to that. Im sure most here feel the same.

I think that if we donate to the tailgate, it is still supporting the site, cause it is still offering a service of tailgating which is good for all of us to meet each other if we go to the games. Plus, the people running the tailgate (Pez and Huly, 4C, Raub, everyone else) are probably shelling out money of their own for this already. I think we should split the money down the line if anything, though I have no problem giving it for a tailgate fund.

What if all the money was given to Make A Wish, Susan B Komen, or Operation Smile. I'm sure we could distribute the money to a few charities. Maybe take a poll and let the board decide. Now I have not read the whole thread so I am assuming someone has already said this but just wanted to put it out there. I also like the idea of giving to ES Tailgate for those who put out money to make it happen.

This is sort of the way I feel about it...I mean, I was going to happily donate the $300 to the site because you guys were running it out of pocket. Now that you've got the Danny's checkbook behind the site, these bets ARE kind of disingenious.

On the other hand, a bet was made, so I feel obligated to man-up and pay the money I pledged (50 bucks so far). The money going to charity sounds like the best idea in my opinion, because its something every ES member can benefit from (if you don't feel good about donating to charity, then you are a cold individual). The tailgate, while it is definitely a good thing, there are what, maybe 100 members that will benefit from that? And something like 20 or 30 members that will continuously benefit? There are a LOT of fans from different locations who will never be able to benefit from this. Luckily, I will be going to the 12/24 Giants game, but I still think this is a bad idea for the money. Huly, Pez, et. al, what you guys do is wonderful, and I don't know how you support the tailgate, but I do believe it is your choice to do so. I would feel the same way if I lived across the street from Fed-Ex and went to every tailgate, so its not because I'm ~5500 miles away.

And the charity idea is chosen, I definitely think a poll should be created with 5-10 different choices and then voted on by the members. That is the fairest way, imho.

The raffle thing is a bad idea as well, because that is COMPLETELY the opposite of what this bet was originally intended for. I for one would be extremely ticked off if the money I originally intended to help offset the cost of this site went to some random person's game tickets. Maybe that's just me...

Another idea that just came to me is setting up an ES charity? That would probably be a lot of work (and I'm by no means volunteering to do it :silly: - also, being that I'm 5500 miles away, I'm probably not the best choice anway), but it could be pretty cool....maybe taking poor inner city kids to Skins games or something like that. Or buying jerseys for them, or something. Since you have "insider" access to the Skins, you'd probably be able to get discounted prices. Just a thought...it would be specific to the site (not some random charity) and would help spread the Redskins love. You could even set up for the kids to be on the sidelines for the games, meet the players, etc. A lot of good could come from it. Just a thought...

I bet you could convince the Danny to match any donations made as well! I'm actually kind of excited about this idea, the more I think about it. If you want, I'd be willing to do a little research into starting a charity. Or maybe some of the lawyers on this site already know some things about it...?

........Plus, the people running the tailgate (Pez and Huly, 4C, Raub, everyone else) are probably shelling out money of their own for this already.

I'm not advocating that the money go to the tailgate as I did not pledge any money and I'm pretty unreliable about showing up at their tailgate.......

That said, you are right on the money. The amount of money that all the organizers of the Unofficial Tailgate spend on the tailgate would really surpise most people.

I usually tailgate w/ 4-8 people. Generally I provide the main course food(s) and do something kinda fun for all home games. Everyone provides their own drinks. It really is amazing how fast the costs add up even just in our little circle. The amount of time expended in preparation is more considerable than most would believe.

I cannot fathom the expenses these ExtremeSkins people incur for hog noses, glow sticks, propane, beer, prizes, pinatas, food and everything else that goes into their tailgates. Maybe I'm wrong, put the organizers of this tailgate don't strike me as people that bring home mid 6 figures every year. They are honest hard working folks that are incurring some serious costs for something they really love to do.

If they don't get any money.......b/c the vast majority of ExtremeSkinners don't go to the tailgate - I'd understand.

However, just take what I type to heart and as much as they say just come and bring nothing - try to bring a little something if you attend. A 12 pack of beer - a blow up doll - a couple bags of chips - something to donate to their prize chest - some award winning chili....some food.......

I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say the Unofficial Extreme Skins Tailgate will cure cancer.....but I'm sure it will continue to be a fun place for Skins fans to congregate. I just hope they don't ever lose sight of the tailgate being a place for everyone to come together, feel comfortable and just have a good time tailgating and rooting for YOUR Washington Redskins.

What do you mean by this? That it would be disengenious to expect people to support a site that is run by a large organization? If you hold this to be true, then why would the "make a donation buttons" come back? Who would be the recipient of that money if there's no viable recipient to this money? With that said, I understand your point to the extent that expecting people to give money to an entity that's already well funded would not make sense.

I don't know where you are reading that the donations are going to "something less" and I'm not even sure what you mean by that. Certainly the need for donations for site maintenance has diminished since rayprils' thread was started; that I don't contest at all. The point of this thread, which coincidentally I don't think is absurd, is whether we, collectively, can determine if there's a cause that would merit keeping the "bets" in place so that the original intention of rayprils's thread (to help keep ES.com going and to benefit all of the members, thereby) is met in some shape or form.

Where we differ, perhaps, is whether such a cause is out there or if the premise is defeated by virtue of the merger. I maintain that it's not but maybe the responses to this thread will prove otherwise.

Finally, it's obvious that no one, not the staff, not other members, not the 'Skins, has any control over whether a donation is made--so this whole exercise could prove totally theoretical as anyone and everyone can back out whenever and however they please. Then again, that is just as true now as it was when rayprils' thread was started originally.

I don't know where you are reading that the donations are going to "something less" and I'm not even sure what you mean by that. Certainly the need for donations for site maintenance has diminished since this thrad was started; that I don't contest at all. The point of this thread, which coincidentally I don't think is absurd, is whether we, collectively, can determine if there's a cause that would merit keeping the "bets" in place so that the original intention of rayprils's thread (to help keep ES.com going and to benefit all of the members, thereby) is met in some shape or form.

Where we differ, perhaps, is whether such a cause is out there or if the premise is defeated by virtue of the merger. I maintain that it's not but maybe the responses to this thread will prove otherwise.

Finally, it's obvious that no one, not the staff, not other members, not the 'Skins, has any control over whether a donation is made--so this whole exercise could prove totally theoretical and anyone and everyone can back out whenever and however they please. Then again, that is just as true now as it was when rayprils' thread was started originally.

Well said. I for one don't plan on backing down from my bets. I may have to go on a payment schedule :silly: if everything I bet on comes to fruition which I hope it does, but I'll pay!! :)

No one on Staff wants any money from any of you. If you recall, we never actively pursued your money when we DID need it. The farthest we ever went in that regard was to sell a few t-shirts and hats and put a 'no pressure' Make-a-Donation link (which btw, still got you a hat, t-shirt, or fleece). Thats in stark contrast to just about every other internet site out there. We were so concerned that your time here be enjoyable, we turned away advertisers for years so your view of the best Redskin's site anywhere would be unmarred by pop-up ads and other advertising eyesores.

So if you guys want to discuss these 'bets', knock yourselves out - but it has nothing to do with this Website. They were your bets to begin with, we did nothing to either encourage them or promote them. We didn't care about money then, and we don't care now.

Our heros take the time out to make us here on ES feel more a part of the family, what charity do they support? Would be a cool gesture to have a seasonal collection to help those less fortunate than the majority of us here, and support the people who bust a gut trying to give us what we want as fans at the same time.

Get something like that going and I am happy to donate.

No one on Staff wants any money from any of you. If you recall, we never actively pursued your money when we DID need it. The farthest we ever went in that regard was to sell a few t-shirts and hats and put a 'no pressure' Make-a-Donation link (which btw, still got you a hat, t-shirt, or fleece). Thats in stark contrast to just about every other internet site out there. We were so concerned that your time here be enjoyable, we turned away advertisers for years so your view of the best Redskin's site anywhere would be unmarred by pop-up ads and other advertising eyesores.

So if you guys want to discuss these 'bets', knock yourselves out - but it has nothing to do with this Website. They were your bets to begin with, we did nothing to either encourage them or promote them. We didn't care about money then, and we don't care now.

I didn't get a hat, t-shirt or fleece when I donated to the site! :( Of course, that wasn't the reason I donated to the site...

Archived